Light Options for AR15 ?

DonK

Enlightened
Looking for a new light to mount on AR15. I have a 1" tactical ring to clamp to the forend rail. Options I am considering

Olight M22
Olight M23
Fenix ?
Armytek Viking 2.5
Armytek Viking 3.0

Suggestions ?

Would appreciate any comments on pros and cons of the above. My overriding requirement is for reliability and durability.

Right now Olight M22 is looking to be favorite

DonK

Enlightened
Malkoff does not seem to offer any benefits over many other lights. They have their own head with same LED as others and you are using the body from other lights. So, not much benefit from what I see.

Fenix TK22 or TK32 are looking good. Easy user interface.

Armytek seems to be getting a little complicated to use. I've seen some reviews that say Olight battery life is not so good.

There are many brands that I am not familiar with - Jetbeam, Nitecore etc.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff does not seem to offer any benefits over many other lights. They have their own head with same LED as others and you are using the body from other lights. So, not much benefit from what I see.

Fenix TK22 or TK32 are looking good. Easy user interface.

Armytek seems to be getting a little complicated to use. I've seen some reviews that say Olight battery life is not so good.

There are many brands that I am not familiar with - Jetbeam, Nitecore etc.
The benefits of having the malkoff is durability. That's a very important benefit when looking at weapon lights.

DonK

Enlightened
Ah yes - durability of the potted head. Armytek claim to have that too from what I recall

gsr

Enlightened
Elzetta, both light and mount. Or SureFire's weapon lights.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be helpful to know the intended usage of the weapon.

I'm not familiar with the Olights or Fenix you originally mentioned. The Armytek should be durable enough for serious usage. The Vikings have a very narrow beam pattern that isn't overly appropriate for indoor use.

The standard practice is to have weapon mounted lights either single mode, or to have the modes selected by means other than the primary switch.

Malkoff doesn't offer heads that work on other host's bodies. In addition to drop-ins for Surefire and Elzetta (and others) hosts, Malkoff also makes the complete MD2 light. It is quite durable, and the mode is switched by tightening or loosening the head. When it's mounted on a weapon, the mode switching isn't ideal, but it works well enough.

As has been mentioned, Elzetta makes an awesome weapon light. The standard head works well for indoor use, and the AVS heads are very appropriate for the outdoors. High/low activation takes place in the tail cap, which is easily accessed with the light mounted on a rifle.

Last edited:

Novan3

Newly Enlightened
Surefire X series weapon lights + XT07 remote dual switch.

Super durable setup, low drag, bombproof warranty support, can count as rifle bling too when your at the range.. if that's important to you lol

DonK

Enlightened
should have mentioned - wide beam preferred. Indoor use plus outdoor, mostly to 25 yds but occasional 50 yds

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gonna once again throw down for the TK32. Designed for rifle/shotgun use, built extremely well and whil 40,000 candela may not sound like much nowdays the beam it puts out is first rate and WIDE. Colored modes are actually half decent. Im sure the Malkoffs and Elzettas are great and all but also a good bit more expensive. Hell Ive seen countless guys just bolt a PD35 to whatever long arm and be totally satisfied. Beam profile out of the TK32 is what I would want on an AR if I had one anymore.

DonK

Enlightened
TK32 is looking like a winner. Not sure I'll ever use the colors, but nice to have I suppose

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only aspect of the TK32 that may be an issue is the dual tail cap switch design. You may be able to program it so that no matter which switch is pressed, the same output is achieved.

The high setting should be adequate for indoor use, and should provide target identification to 25 yards. Turbo should be fully adequate at 50+ yards.

snowman3

Newly Enlightened
Gonna once again throw down for the TK32. Designed for rifle/shotgun use, built extremely well and whil 40,000 candela may not sound like much nowdays the beam it puts out is first rate and WIDE. Colored modes are actually half decent. Im sure the Malkoffs and Elzettas are great and all but also a good bit more expensive. Hell Ive seen countless guys just bolt a PD35 to whatever long arm and be totally satisfied. Beam profile out of the TK32 is what I would want on an AR if I had one anymore.

What kind of remote pressure switch can be used w/ the tk32? It has dual buttons, so I'm lost on how to control that from the rail or vertical grip.

DonK

Enlightened
good link

375 lumens does not sound much by modern standards