A2 Lumens v. Brightness

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone-

I have a question regarding the A2's brightness and Lumen output.

If I remember correctly the Lumen rating of the incandescent lamp was 50 lumens is this correct? If so that makes it less than the E2e? If so, how is the brightness of the hotspot compared to the E2e? Brighter or dimmer?

As for the LED's does anyone know their lumen output? Is it the standard for 5mm LED's (2-3 lumen each)?

Thanks, GregR

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I did a side by side comparison just for you.
I put fresh batteries in the E2E, I had to to get a fair comparison(it seemed yellow next to the A2 but new batteries helped). They seem about the same. The E2E has a larger hotspot. I think this is where the extra Lumens go. I think the E2E has more spill light too, but here again it's close. The A2 is whiter. The throw seems about the same.
The LEDs are 5mm. They are about as bright as a NewBeam.

paulr

Flashaholic
The A2's brightness stays very constant through the whole battery runtime, while the E2e's drops off fairly fast.

The LED's are more like 1 lumen each.

Geode

Enlightened
I have an A2 and E2e and agree with the previous statements - the A2 beam seems whiter and will stay at that brightness level for much longer than the brightest level that the E2e can put out.

The beam shape of the E2e is more uniformly round and the transition to the spill is smoother than the A2. Throw seems to be about the same.

On a qualitative basis, the LED light is just about midway between a one LED AAA or AA light and a 1W Luxeon. The LED color is blue-ish, but much less blue than the Streamlight TT2L and 3C.

So, the A2 is a pretty darned nice utility light.

AlecGold

Enlightened
I've been able to test both with brand new lights out of the transport package at the distributer for the Neterlands.
Throw is not a whole lot better IMHO cause of the leds, but I let the lights on for 15 min. and the E2e droped cons. while the A2 remained as far as I could see quite the same. At least the A2 was brighter and therefore had a better throw. Also the whitness of the A2 was better and acc. to some people here the lifespan of a bulb is a whole lot better (one member/mod. tested 45 sets of batt. in an A2 before the bulb died)
But there is a slight price difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF AlecGold!

The bulb did not die - I can show you that it has aged though. The beam quality/colour has not suffered. I switched to a new bulb because the original has to die something soon right?

If you would like photos - please email me.

Al

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you all very much for the responses.

Welcome to the the group, AlecGold!

GregR