Sapphire GS Vs Mako Mk.II

nbp

Flashaholic
That is hard. I love my Mako, and my Sapphire Mule (I know that is a bit of different creature in terms of tint and beam, but build is the same). For long run times, the Mako will be the clear winner. Build quality and reliability is probably close to a toss up. The Mako is going to have one extra possible point of failure in that it is a multimode light and the spring inside that controls the mode switching is delicate and can be damaged. The Sapphire is a battery crusher and those have very few things to go wrong in them. I don't find the modes to be spaced far enough apart in my Mako to justify switching to high very often, so it may as well just be a single mode light IMO, and the Sapphire is single mode. The Sappire has a lens, the Mako does not. With epoxy domed 5mm LEDs it's not critical to have a lens, I believe the Mako is potted, but it is a difference you may care about. The Sapphire has Don's signature machined finish, the Mako has a polished bead blast finish - that is just a matter of preference, I like both. The Sapphire has a very heavy duty lug on the back for a split ring and it hangs evenly. The Mako has an offset lanyard hole so it hangs crooked and is not as robust, but it will tailstand and the Sapphire will not. The Mako has a trit slot (most did anyways, can't remember the recent run) while the Sapphire has no slots. The Mako has been offered with a couple different emitters including High Output and neutral tint variants, while the Sapphire has two variants and I believe they are both cool white.

Those are a few things that come to mind as I think about my Mako and Sapphire. I may have more comments if you have more questions. I think if you are into fantastic little low output AAA lights these are the creme de la creme and you'll love either... or both. :devil: