Fenix has a lot to like, but...

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are three things that make most of its models a no-go for me:

• No neutral-white/high-CRI options
  • Poor or missing moonlight/firefly modes
  • No tail standing
What's the history of this? Is there a reason—besides the fact of Fenix's ongoing success—that it does not usually offer these options?

Last edited:

Amelia

Enlightened
  • No tail standing
What's the history of this? Is there a reason—besides the fact of Fenix's ongoing success—that it does not usually offer these options?

I have the exact same complaints about Fenix.They are a successful flashlight manufacturer because they give the vast majority of the flashlight buying public what they want. Unfortunately, the vast majority of flashlight buyers have no idea about things like tint, moonlight modes, or tailstanding. For most people, it's "How bright is it?" and "how uber-tacticool bitchen does it look?". Until people become educated about the things we all take for granted here, the situation will unfortunately probably stay the same. I'm just glad there are light companies like Thrunite, Zebralight, and EagleTac who are willing to release flashlight designs that they KNOW will only be purchased by a tiny fraction of the light buying public - the very few who understand the value of these features.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I got the PD40 (no cool white MT-G2s), but am not really interested in anything else from them.

Right. The PD40 is one of the few Fenix models that attracts me. Another is the CL25R Camp Lantern. I will buy at least one, and maybe two, of those.

Getting back to my OP, look at tail standing. Fenix has number of clicky models that can almost do that. It would have been easy to add a tiny bit more metal to the tail cap and have a light that would tail stand. Instead, Fenix seems to have chosen the opposite direction. To me, it looks like it has gone out of its way to make sure its lights won't tail stand. And this is not new. The same problem exists on models going back many years.

Last edited:

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
I also have concerns about their quality control. I recently had the clicky fail on a Fenix 2AA light. It was barely used and mostly sat on the shelf for a few years.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right. The PD40 is one of the few Fenix models that attracts me. Another is the CL25R Camp Lantern. I will buy at least one, and maybe two, of those.

Getting back to my OP, look at tail standing. Fenix has number of clicky models that can almost do that. It would have been easy to add a tiny bit more metal to the tail cap and have a light that would tail stand. Instead, Fenix seems to have chosen the opposite direction. To me, it looks like it has gone out of its way to make sure its lights won't tail stand. And this is not new. The same problem exists on models going back many years.

Speaking of tailstanding, the PD40 actually WILL tailstand. So it actually has both tint and tailstanding covered. No moonlight modes, however. Then again, I look at moonlight modes as something more necessary in smaller lights. Speaking of the CL25R, is it actually available in neutral white? Because the LAST thing I want when I'm out camping is some obnoxious angry blue lantern.

markr6

Flashaholic
I forgot about the PD40! Looks badass! Why so little talk about it? 26650 not as popular I guess. Looks like a nice all around light.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix has some neutral white options like the PD32UE and the gray TK22 (TK22 special edition or something like that?). Maybe there are a couple others as well?

I do wish they offered more though.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot about the PD40! Looks badass! Why so little talk about it? 26650 not as popular I guess. Looks like a nice all around light.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?395610-*NEW*-Fenix-PD40-1x26650-MT-G2-Light

It might not have a thousand posts, like some threads. But it has been discussed. A lot of people don't like the "burst" mode, but overall most owners seem to like it.

It is definitely true that 26650 cells are not nearly as popular...I tried to give one away once, and even with a price tag of nothing it took a while to find a taker. The larger cell also makes for a bigger and more expensive light.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix has some neutral white options like the PD32UE and the gray TK22 (TK22 special edition or something like that?). Maybe there are a couple others as well?

I do wish they offered more though.

Agreed.

The Fenix TK35UE is a nice 2x 18650 light built around the neutral-white MT-G2 emitter, but—once again—it has limited or no tail standing! And at 25 lumens, its lowest mode does not come close to being a moonlight mode. I have a similar 2x 18650, MT-G2 offering from Nitecore, the P36. It does better on both scores: it has a 2-lumen low mode and, yes, it does tail stand.

The upcoming Nitecore EC4S, another light that sports the MT-G2, also promises to beat the Fenix TK35UE on these features. The EC4S does not compare directly to the TK35UE, however, because it has a smaller size and mass. I have not seen any specs for the EC4S, but I do know that its XM-L2 based cousin, the EC4, tops out at 1000 lumens. My guess—and it is only a guess—is that the EC4 cannot shed heat fast enough to run any higher than that. Although the MT-G2 emitter is capable of much more than 1000 lumens, it won't surprise me if the top output of the EC4S is in the same ballpark.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Issues of tint, lack of moonlight modes an not tail standing effect me not.
Seems these things bother a specific few. As I believe but could be wrong, Fenix outsells other oem that make them higher bullet points?

Don't know, don't seem to be important to me, but I'm not fussy about trying to make one light, do it all.
Jack of all, or just a darn good flashlight, I'll take the latter.
Ymmv, obviously.

Have a great one.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

• No tail standing

Not totally true. My HL50 has a wonderful NW LED with fantastic tint. My new fenix lantern has a sub lumen low.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not totally true. My HL50 has a wonderful NW LED with fantastic tint. My new fenix lantern has a sub lumen low.

That's right, for sure. Several other neutral-white models have been mentioned in this thread, as well. And there must be others. That is why I began by saying that most Fenix models were off-limits for me. I also stated my intention to purchase the CL25R Camp Lantern.

What surprises me more than anything is that Fenix, for the most part, has turned a mute ear to these issues. Many other flashlight makers routinely include a 1-5 lumen mode, if not a true moonlight mode, and, hey!, how hard is it to make a light that tail stands? In large part, you can have these features without losing any other functionality. Offering a neutral-white option, of course, is another thing entirely. There is a price to be paid when multiple versions of a light are made, each with a different emitter.

Last edited:

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Most cool white selections I have seen are awful, too blue or too green. Fenix has a cool white that is such a pure white that I do not mind one little bit that it is not neutral white. If you prefer not to use cool white emitters, yet haven't actually used the Fenix cool white and are merely going by experiences with other cool white LED flashlights, then you are missing something. Fenix cool white is what cool white should be, and I've never seen another cool white that is even remotely tolerable. For this reason only, I do not think it matters if Fenix ever switches to neutral emitters.

Last edited:

chuckhov

Enlightened
Most cool white selections I have seen are awful, too blue or too green. Fenix has a cool white that is such a pure white that I do not mind one little bit that it is not neutral white. If you prefer not to use cool white emitters, yet haven't actually used the Fenix cool white and are merely going by experiences with other cool white LED flashlights, then you are missing something. Fenix cool white is what cool white should be, and I've never seen another cool white that is even remotely tolerable. For this reason only, I do not think it matters if Fenix ever switches to neutral emitters.

Interesting, and thank you for your reply.

I could tell you that Brand XXX is also like that, but can we ever really be sure?

You can get different tints even within "tint groups" such as 1A/3C, etc. - What I really don't like, is for a maker to just say CW/NW - That could mean a lot of things. - A Very Wide variation.

I am with you Sir... Here's to hoping that all of your tints for now and the future are to your liking!

IMO - The Tint Lotto (tho somewhat reduced compared to yesteryear) continues on... Sometimes it's a "lot" they can get a Deal on? - Maybe? - Ya think?

Thanks,
-Chuck

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is for these reasons mentioned in the OP that I have always avoided Fenix, and also the fact that most of their flashlights require users to click through output after output to get to where they wanted that puts me off. I was once approached by someone from Fenix to do a review for their lights but I just refused to because I know I am going to give them a major thumbs down which I am sure they wouldn't like.

I have always been tempted by the PD35 but have always held back due to the above reasons alone. I like the size of the PD35, also like how well it can sit in my rear jeans pocket and yet packs a punch when needed, but I just hated the UI. I have always believed a great UI should allow the user to access lowest output and/or highest output without having to cycle through outputs. A great UI should also allow users to access max output instantly from any other outputs and yet return to where they last was. PD35 offered none, and to make matters worst, I have to cycle through 5 or 6 output levels instead of a simple 3 which is about the max number of levels I really would like to cycle through. Plain dumb UI really.

Having said these, I still like the size and max output of the PD35 and recently I caved and on impulse ordered a PD35 TAC when it was available. I know I am not going to like the UI but I only really needed this light to substitute the blast of light needed whenever my HDS couldn't fill that requirement, which hardly ever happens. It will only be a backup light to my HDS and will most likely be used on short bursts on max output.

Fenix, if you are reading this, don't you feel a sense of shame?

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shame, really?

Their tint is better then a very expensive US made light.
They, I bet sell more then other oem.

Shame all the way to the bank.

It's like you guys expect them to have every single option known and it is still not good enough.

The vocal few(Tint) snobs.

Have a great day.
Edit, guess I'll be drawn an quartered, but it's OK.

Sorry I meant tint snobs, not just snobs at large, typing on tablet sucks at times.
Idk if that helps any but yeah you know.

Last edited:

Latest posts