HELP!

browntown

Newly Enlightened
HI there Violin, welcome.

Lots of choices, I'll start the suggestions rolling on the less expensive end with the Brinkmann LX. Perhaps you can share what you use a flashlight most often for. I find that the 1-AA lights like the infinity ultra made by CMG come in more useful than any other light I own. But thats me.

Also, this thread might be better suited in the General Discussion forum. You'd get more traffic there. Look through that forum, there are many similar posts to yours with tons of great information.

Again, welcome.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Avix

Newly Enlightened
I'd second the vote for the Brinkman Legend LX, it's a good starter and pretty easy to find (wal-mart), but I warn ya, once you get started your hooked for life!!!

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I would like to recommend the Infinity Ultra G, available at CountyComm ($14.50 for CPF members), on the Dealers Forum. It doesn't have the lanyard and pocket clip, but the HA III finish is great. Put the AA Lithium battery in it and carry it with you forever. I gave ten of these to family members, for Christmas.
oldgrandpajack

TheFire

Enlightened
The SureFire G2 is a light that will knock your socks off the first time you light it up. It's great for the money and an excellent way to get into lights.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Botach has the Pelican M6 on sale for $24.95. It is really a bright light.
I have one and I really like it.

Jerry

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might I suggest that you do a search in Cheers n' Jeers forum on "Botach" first BEFORE you buy anything from them?

As for answering your question, I wonder what you mean by "focused beam"? Do you mean a beam that you can change the focus on, tightening or broadening it? Or do you mean that you want a beam that has a good, i.e. narrow-ish, focus, and thus a beam with throw?

In the first case, I won't make any suggestions.

In the second case, I will second (or it seems third) the SureFire G2 suggestion. Many may like the E2e beam much better, but in actual use I think the SF P60 and P61 lamp assemblies (the G2 comes with the P60) are AWESOME, and the size and feel of the G2 is very nice.

Unfortunately, you WILL want to get the P61 high output lamp assembly, and this will mean you'll have to get a bunch of expensive lithium SF123 batteries, and by then you'll have contracted flashaholism and will move on to buy much more expensive lights,

so . . .

I suggest that you decide what best meets your needs and buy it no matter how expensive you may think it is now. Buy what you really want now, if you can, and if not, just keep saving your pennies until you can.

FWIW, I suggest that you look into the following: SureFire E2e, C2, G2Z, A2, M3, M3T, L4; Arc AAA, LSH-S or P; TigerLight; Stream Light Twin Tasks, Task Lights, Scorpion, and some of the excellent lights made and sold right here by CPFers to CPFers (my next project so I can't recommend anything.) Anyway, just some suggestions to add to the other good suggestions already given.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second js comment re Botach. Do a search.

I recently bought some Streamlight lights from them and they came in good time.
I currently have an order that I sent on 29 December and it is not here yet. In addition the UPS Tracking cannot tell if it has been picked up. They do have a record of the request by Botach.
Today I called but did not get a person, just an answering machine. I also emailed them, and don't expect to hear soon or maybe not at all.

I am not aware of anyone getting "ripped off" by them, but their service is basically fair to poor. If you need something fast some have posted to call them and see if it is in stock.

But they have some of the best prices if you can wait.
If anyone here has been ripped off let us know. I currently have the order I mentioned and one for the PM6 at $24.95.

I am not in a hurry, but like most of us, I hate to wait weeks.

I'll post when I get the order.

So if you are in a hurry don't use Botach. The dealers here at CPF offer superb service, and usually at good prices. Sometimes better than anyone else. They are outstanding people, and deserve our support. It just happens that the PM6 price at Botach has not been equalled in my own search.

Jerry

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say a G2 as well. However, if you're trying to save on cost, then the G2 might eat up batts too fast for your liking. Even comparing at somewhere around $1 a piece, AA batts are still cheaper to run and easier to find around the house. Thus an alternative would then be the SL 7AA 4 Led, which should be around the same price as a G2, if not cheaper. You get long runtimes with that too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
ViolinKiller,
Are you getting all this? You're going to be tested on it later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

CNTSTPDRMN

Newly Enlightened
Botach rocks, I ordered an SF A2 Monday, and got it Tuesday!!
As for the G2, I concur, it's a great way to get into it I modded the tailcap with a walmart Ozark clickie (on/off) switch and a P61 assembly, it's in my nightstand, and man is that thing bright!!

nullandvoid

Newly Enlightened
I'll have to agree with the others on mulitple counts. I like the G2 as a relatively inexpensive light with a good focused beam. I also agree on the Botach comments. I placed a few orders with them that went ok, then the last one thy kept giving me the runaround as related to status on my order and I finally just cancelled the order because their communication was so poor. I'd email them they'd call my home phone and leave a message to call them. They'd be closed by the time I got home, I'd call the next day they wouldn't let me talk to someone but only let me leave a voicemail, so I did, the process repeated, they called my house, closed by the time I got home. Called again the next day still wouldn't let me talk to anyone. Sent them a scathing email and cancelled my order. All of this was about a week after it should have initially been received.

ViolinKiller

Newly Enlightened
In a violin shop with a manic grin and a hammer
Thanks guys (or gals as the case may be), I'm trying to order a Surefire G2 as a trial flashlight thing, don't have a lotta money spare, but I looked at the G2, and I can't resist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif Now I can sleep easy knowing that a flashlight is coming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats Violin! You'll be pleased with the G2, trust me. I am still amazed by mine... You can actually sleep knowing that a flashlight is coming?? Usually its the other way round for me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Latest posts