Got stopped by police for Zebralight SC32

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Yesterday I went to watch Macy's July 4th fireworks and then stopped at a bar with friends. On the way home from celebrations around 2 am, I was in the 59th Street Lexington subway station (in NYC.) I saw 2 NYPD officers and passed them, when moments later both of them charged towards me yelling for me to stop, but I didn't realize it was them or someone was yelling at me, so I walked fast paced as I always do to catch my train. One cop rushed around me and I got a bit nervous. Both of them were yelling "what's that in your pocket" pointing to the clip of Zebralight SC32. I said "it's just a flashlight" and pulled it out to show them. But one of the cop got startled and thought I was going to stab him. I felt like one went for his gun as I was pulling the light out. Then they told me that my flashlight clip looks like a knife and it's illegal to walk around with knives, and that I made them nervous for pulling out the flashlight. I was never stopped by police before and plus I wasn't sober so pulling out the flashlight wasn't the best move, but naturally, you just want to "show" that here look, I'm not carrying a weapon....

With all the tragic stories in the U.S. of cops shooting innocent people over Perceived dangerous items., I'm giving a little rethought on how I should carry my EDC lights without causing suspicion. These days, you can't even carry a multi tool and now a flashlight without raising alarm from police.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Re: Got stopped by police for Fenix SC32

Wow,,sorry to hear that.

I guess that could happen anywhere, but less likely in the small town like I live in. I live ~30 miles from Philly.

Glad your ok.:)

EDIT: I was just thinking,,,what if your light was in a Holster?!

I am on the trail every night w/ Capo my Siberian. afterwards we stop at Wawa [like a 7-Eleven] and get a few snacks. I always have Two lights on me in Holsters! I see cops all the time. I guess because some know me because of my lights and light testing and the fact that the lights are not totally concealed. Also there is a lot more crime/population in a major City like New York, Philly ect. where tensions are much higher.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic

Whoo.. tension must be high indeed, if they react like that. I assume you mean PD32 instead of SC.. ;)
Think a holster can be a option. Or you'll have to pocket carry. Although most 1x 18650 aren't that pocket friendly.

Capolini

Banned

Also - July 4th cops / authorities in NYC were on "high alert". KJ2 beat me to it.

Capolini beat ALL of you to it!!! :poke:,,,,,,,,,,,,I guess because I was the first post after op!

I got the light right to,,I need to play the lottery! lol!

Swamplite

Newly Enlightened

When stopped by law enforcement always keep your hands open and away from your body.Eye to eye contact and no sudden moves.The officer will advise you what to do.Compliance with an officers commands would stop almost all of the police involved tragedies.If you feel you are treated unfairly for any reason deal with it after the fact.I very seldom get stopped but if I do I make it a point to follow commands and be extremely polite.My actions have got me out of a couple of moving violations and I'm still breathing.In my 68 years I have never had a problem with any LEO following these tactics.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast

When stopped by law enforcement always keep your hands open and away from your body.Eye to eye contact and no sudden moves.The officer will advise you what to do.Compliance with an officers commands would stop almost all of the police involved tragedies.If you feel you are treated unfairly for any reason deal with it after the fact.I very seldom get stopped but if I do I make it a point to follow commands and be extremely polite.My actions have got me out of a couple of moving violations and I'm still breathing.In my 68 years I have never had a problem with any LEO following these tactics.
+10

LedTed

Enlightened
Although this situation got a little out of hand, you have to give some credit to the LEO who was observent enough to notice the clip in the first place.

scout24

Flashaholic
"Investagative detention" aka Terry Stop. NOTHING clipped to your pockets in NYC. EVER. That's the enviroment down there, and just one more reason I'm glad I moved farther away... :) You can carry things, just not clipped. It's used as an excuse to stop and frisk. Tuck multitools lr lights down alongside your wallet, or in your waistband beneath an untucked shirt...

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
"or you can clip your things outside your pocket. looks goofy but at least you won't get stopped" quote from Seymore Hair, inventor of the see-through bikini

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
So greatful that I don't live anywhere near NYC. Carrying a pocket knife is illegal? REALLY!?!

Eagle

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad I don't live in a big city. I haven't been stopped by LEO but I did get hustled a few months ago by security at a concert for my EA4. I have carried it with me multiple times at that particular stadium and had even been through security once already that night with no questions asked.

When I went through secuity the second time (went in the wrong gate for the tickets I had the first time) the security guard asked what the black thing was in my hat that looked like a flashlight (I had taken my hat off and put all my stuff in it on the table when I went through the metal detector) to which I replied it was and he asked why I needed it. I told him, and was polite about it, that it would be dark in the arena and if the power went out I would like to be able to see. I was told that was not a valid reason and he would have to take it and ask his supervisor if I was allowed to have it. At that point I just told him I would take it back out to my vehicle. There was nothing on their prohibited items list about flashlights and I was polite when speaking with the gentleman so I'm not sure what the big deal was especially since I had never had any trouble before.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
.........."it's just a flashlight" and pulled it out to show them. ......

I'm glad it worked out and you didn't get whacked with a night stick for your reaction. NYC isn't knife friendly, just the way it is. Short of a SAK or similar it's bound to get attention by others, especially the PD that sees it as an easy stop and potential arrest. Also in NYC, in addition to the state penal law you have local laws, most notably the NYC Administration Codes which has many 'catch all' rules in regards to knives. These violation allow stops that can escalate into arrest for the improperly identified or knives that may be considered 'dangerous weapons' and elevate the charges on scene to 'must arrest'. Pocket clips are generally associated with knives, that plus one or two other factors you may or may not be aware of probably contributed to the stop.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow crazy story. How did it end? He could be posting from the clink! lol

Google some of the stories about "gravity knife" in NYC. I read some from one of the Knife Forums. TO ME: its NUTS, You will be shocked and saddened to see how some LEO's behave there. Of course it is all about making MONEY and not really about safety so what do you expect?
I can remember carrying and using a small pocket knife in middle & high school. One guy carried a Leatherman on his belt. Times sure have changed.

IMHO: NYC knife laws are for making money.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO: NYC knife laws are for making money.

Not really. Parking tickets generate revenue, lots of it for the city, however criminal court summons and arrests cost the city (tax payers) money. If you consider the salary/benefits of the officer, the courts, administrative staff/facilities, the lawsuits, the percentage of generated revenue in relation to the summons issued, prisoner lodging, dismissals, ect. you'd see it's a money loser not maker. One reason the city is reevaluating it's enforcement policy on marijuana offenses is such.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though I'm here on CPF and I EDC a light on a daily basis I NEVER ever assumed when I see a clip in a pocket that it's a flashlight. I see a clip I assume knife. NYC is the most ridiculous state when it comes to knives. I heard a story some time ago of someone being accused of carrying a gravity knife because the officer held the blade of his Leatherman Wave and "flicking" the knife open!

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Then they told me that my flashlight clip looks like a knife and it's illegal to walk around with knives, and that I made them nervous for pulling out the flashlight.
I would have difficulty with the mindset that leads to that sort of law going onto the books.

But as others have said, comply with instructions given by police officers in a deliberate fashion and be polite. I too have been detained by the police for stupid reasons, but I was also engaged in what they could easily categorize as unusual behavior thus they were within their authority to stop me briefly. I made a mistake similar to yours in one encounter that made things a little tense, but maintained a civil tone with the officers and nothing came of it - although I do wonder how long they maintain records of non-arrest/non-cite incidents.