Poll, what battery chemistry do you use most?

What battery chemistry do you use most

• Alkaline

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Primary Lithium

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • NiMh (such as eneloop)

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • Li-Ion

Votes: 47 61.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a hunch that the majority of people on CPF are Li-Ion users. I think that is a progression after the initial stages of getting interested in LED flashlights.
1. Alkaline
2. Lithium Primary
3. Eneloop or other NiMh rechargeable
4. Li-Ion
5. Other battery not listed above.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery Station CR123

CPF Special - 50 for $60

Top tier USA Panasonic cells @ the best price. Good deal.

Im not sure why but am always surprised by the popularity of 18650. That said, I would likely use them if I didn't run 1 X CR123 setups as they have very impressive runtimes. I just like the minimalism of a single CR123. No chargers, Voltmeters, Solar Panels ect...... Plug and play.

Last edited:

fnsooner

Enlightened
During the work week, I carry a 1x18650 light in my pants pocket and a 2xAAA(LSD Nimh) penlight in my shirt pocket. I burn more mah using my Li-ion light so that is how I voted.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Im not sure but why but am always surprised by the popularity of 18650.
And I am similarly surprised by the popularity of 2x123A in situations where an 18650 will work. Relative to 2x123A, the 18650 has the following strengths: lower cost of operation, simpler logistics than constantly receiving and disposing of used cells, higher energy density, and typically offers better performance. About the only place that protected cells can get a little dicey is incandescent lights.

I just like the minimalisim of a single CR123. No chargers, Voltmeters, Solar Panels ect...... Plug and play.
If you're trying to use unprotected cells off the grid, then yes you'll need all of those. But most will use protected cells combined with a moderately-priced charger that plugs into the wall that runs the whole process automatically. Not much more involved than the cell phone that most have no difficulty recharging daily.

In your case, 17340 cells do have a key disadvantage - their terrible energy density relative to 123A.

Last edited:

awyeah

Enlightened
If you look at my signature, you'll see I have some of each.

My current EDC lights are 1xCR123A. I don't use 16340s because a) They're lower energy density, b) Eagletac says not to in this light, and c) I don't have any.

I have a few 2xCR123A/1x18650 lights. In those I generally use 18650, but I'll throw in a couple CR123As if none are charged.

I also have several AA flashlights that have eneloops.

chuckhov

Enlightened
I voted 18650.

At my age, watching cells charge on my Nitecore D-4 is entertainment:)

Nobody likes Alkaleaks? - I have a 20 brick in a drawer somewhere, just waiting for when the time comes that I need a leaky mess in that drawer.

Strangely enough - I have Not needed them, nor do I have a mess. - Not a mess 'there', that is.

I would do a Giveaway of them, but then that might surely start the End-Of-The-World syndrome:) - Like washing your new car, and thus making it rain. (When the SHTF)

Not willing to take the blame for That:)

Thanks,
-Chuck

Last edited:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't vote in the poll,, yet.

If you're talking just flashlights, then it's about 50-50 for me. Li-Ion & eneloops.

If you're talking,, Poll, what battery chemistry do you use most?

Then, with all the remotes, clocks and gadgets that I have, it would be eneloops.
[h=2][/h]

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Voted Li-ion as I'd consider that the most often & important uses here (and in smartphone!). In general: "rechargeable" as much as possible (mix between various Li-ion chemistries + low self discharge NiMH).

Still use some alkaline, but using up what I've got left & not buying new alkalines any more.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're talking just flashlights

yes, thank you for voting :)

trivia
this thread has 245 views, with 21 votes so far, 2 out of 3 people That Voted, are Li-Ion users the majority of the time.

Talk about a silent majority, 85% of viewers dont vote, maybe they dont use batteries?

Last edited:

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
Li-ion and Eneloops are about even these days. With a slight edge to Li-ion.

ginaz

Enlightened
i went through the progression but then went back to NiMH. i love the AA cell and have pretty much standardized on it.

Culhain

Enlightened
i need a flashlight at work, but it is used in brief spurts. A pair of lithium primaries lasts 2 or 3 years. At home I keep a pair of 3d mags with the nightize 1 watt led for power outages. I check the d cells for expiration date every Jan 1 and replace the ones that are expiring that year.