*Edited* Suggestions for upgrading Eagletac G25C2 mkII into mkIII

Midnight.Sun

Newly Enlightened
g25c2_mkii_1_thumb.png

Eagletac G25C2 mk2 is my most favourite 1x 18650 size flashlight, and i think it has the potential to be the best ever made if improved in the right direction.
So i was wondering, what if the maker is up for improving this model from mk2 to mk3, if so can't i offer them some free suggestions of mine ?

Here is it :

-1- Nothing on the flashlight design, twisty head, or filters flip up bezel, to me those are very good as they are.

-2- the reflector :
Needs to be polished to a mirror shine smooth degree for maximum throw enhancing, like for example the Thrunite TN35 reflector.

-3- LED would be :
.CREE XP-L V5 HD driven to say 1350 lm (cool white)
.CREE XP-L V3/V5 HI also driven as possible (throw)
.CREE XM-L2 T6 again driven hard (neutral white)

-4- UI i suggest :
Printing visible levelling marks (like dash marks or dots) on the top part of the body beneath the head, and an arrow marker on the base of the twisty head. *Edit* Maybe a little change in the battery tube is needed.

In order to do that the engineers have to drop off the two programable settings ( tactical - regular ), and merge them in one setting based on TACTICAL needs as I consider this flashlight an EXCELLENT TACTICAL FLASHLIGHT, by decreasing the spaces between the brightness levels a little bit, to become something like this, starting from left to right :

.Turbo 1350 lm
.OFF (Standby)
.Moonlight 0.5 lm
.Low 10 lm
.Mid 300 lm
.High 850 lm

*Edit* I changed the UI levels, and removed "Strobe" because i don't see lot of use for it in combat situations as a main mode, that's from a tactical point of view IMO.

This way the three TACTICAL LEVELS ( Turbo_OFF_Moonlight ) be close together, and the REGULAR LEVELS ( Low_Mid_High ) are close together.

Adding the Moonlight mode 0.5 lm is a tactical necessity for every military or LEO, like in "Stealth Situations" and for preserving their "Dark Vision Adapting", they can benefit from it even more than civilians IMHO, and i think EAGLETAC should consider adding it as a MAIN mode in their Tactical models .

I'm no engineer so i hope that this UI suggestion is doable in such small flashlight body diameter .. maybe something close to it I don't know !?

These are my honest suggestions, and if Eagletac consider the previous mentioned or OTHER directions and options of improvement, they have enough elements to create the NEW G25C2 mkIII. Thank you.

Midnight.Sun

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Suggestions for the improvement of Eagletac G25C2 mkII

They need to HA the threads and inside tailcap for lock-out.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

G25C2 with XP-L HI is already for sale. With a full on Mk III the XP-L HI would remain, the reflector would be further tuned for throw and a side switch would be built in for mode changing. Changing modes quickly via two handed head turns is a PIA. Id leave in some kind of head turn activated mode or two just to give the light more options. Head turns for low and super low modes Id say. Until there is a sudden huge jump in LED technology AND Panasonics 4000mah 18650 finally hits the market 1100 OTF lumens is realistically where were stuck at with a 1x18650 format. A Mk III could be multi emitter and 1350 OTF with say an extension tube for up to 4 RCRs but that kind of deal just isnt that practical. Love my Mk II full on kit version I run it on 2x18650 with the yellow filter on. The Olight M23 just came out at a pretty stonkin 57000candela 1020 lumen output. Its only 3 modes but damn does it throw and the beam profile is first rate its also cheaper than the XP-L G25C2

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

They need to HA the threads and inside tailcap for lock-out.

I know that some people are a big fan of those designs but for true tactical use it is another thing that can go wrong. If the tailcap becomes slightly loose then at a critical moment of needing light the flashlight could not light up at all. Imagine needing to tighten the tailcap while holding a gun in one hand and making fast entry into a building to clear it. There are any number of scenarios where tailcap lockout could be disastrous in LEO, military, or home defense applications. Again, I am not saying that tailcap lockout doesn't have its place but that place is not in true tactical situations. There is always something that can go wrong in dynamic situations and good tool preparation means trying to minimize those possibilities.

Surefire made good use of anodizing for their press for momentary on and twist for constant on design. This design does work very well for true tactical scenarios and is different than anodizing with clicky switches. The anodizing is necessary for that Surefire design to work properly so that the light is off when loosened but can be turned on quickly by pressing or twisting.

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are many lights that are for LEO/military that have HA threads. I am unaware of any problems for users.

I have personally been buying tactical lights for the MOD/LEO's for over 15 years and i have never heard no reports of problems with HA on threads causing problems. It is down to the individual user to ensure that all equipment is set-up properly before use. This would include making sure the tail cap is screwed in securely.

I agreed it could be another thing that could go wrong, but would suggest that it is highly improbable.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are many lights that are for LEO/military that have HA threads. I am unaware of any problems for users.

I have personally been buying tactical lights for the MOD/LEO's for over 15 years and i have never heard no reports of problems with HA on threads causing problems. It is down to the individual user to ensure that all equipment is set-up properly before use. This would include making sure the tail cap is screwed in securely.

I agreed it could be another thing that could go wrong, but would suggest that it is highly improbable.

Yes, it is not likely to happen often. The tailcap could loosen upon shock from a drop, for example. I guess my main point is that HA threads don't add a tactical benefit and can possibly cause the light to not work when needed. Being able to loosen the tailcap so that the light can't come on is more of a consumer selling point. That is especially true for us flashaholics with many lights laying around with batteries in them.

One advantage of HA threads is the lack of oxidation that typically develops on bare aluminum. Other than that, what advantage do you believe could be gained for tactical purposes?

Midnight.Sun

Newly Enlightened

G25C2 with XP-L HI is already for sale. With a full on Mk III the XP-L HI would remain, the reflector would be further tuned for throw and a side switch would be built in for mode changing. Changing modes quickly via two handed head turns is a PIA. Id leave in some kind of head turn activated mode or two just to give the light more options. Head turns for low and super low modes Id say. Until there is a sudden huge jump in LED technology AND Panasonics 4000mah 18650 finally hits the market 1100 OTF lumens is realistically where were stuck at with a 1x18650 format. A Mk III could be multi emitter and 1350 OTF with say an extension tube for up to 4 RCRs but that kind of deal just isnt that practical. Love my Mk II full on kit version I run it on 2x18650 with the yellow filter on. The Olight M23 just came out at a pretty stonkin 57000candela 1020 lumen output. Its only 3 modes but damn does it throw and the beam profile is first rate its also cheaper than the XP-L G25C2

Thanx for your comment but allow me to disagree with you at this point.

In it's own specifications the CREE XP-L HD ( high density ) deliveres 1226 lm at 3 A , and EAGLETAC usually squeeze a little more like a 100 lumens or so, thats where i came with the supposed 1350 lm, so it does not have to be multi emitter, nor having to stack 4 RCR inside the tube to bring the necessary Voltages because EAGTAC lights work with regulated current chip circuit, so the light works on turbo most of the time from 1 18650 or from 4 CR123 or 3 RCR123 regardless of Voltage just not exceed the maximum allowed.

Lucky Duck

Enlightened

The Olight M23 just came out at a pretty stonkin 57000candela 1020 lumen output. Its only 3 modes but damn does it throw and the beam profile is first rate its also cheaper than the XP-L G25C2

Over on the Olight page final specs say: 47,500 lux. With the G25C2 mkII at 47,200 lux & 1050 lumen output with the same emitter tis a horse a piece as I see it. :thinking: Tho the Olight is $20.00 cheaper!

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Over on the Olight page final specs say: 47,500 lux. With the G25C2 mkII at 47,200 lux & 1050 lumen output with the same emitter tis a horse a piece as I see it. :thinking: Tho the Olight is $20.00 cheaper!
Got a link, not that I don't believe you, just can't find that particular listing.
Everywhere I look, 55k Cd.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't decide which to procure next. The Eagletac G25C2 or the Olight M23?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't decide which to procure next. The Eagletac G25C2 or the Olight M23?

Which form factor and UI do you like better? The difference in performance of 55,200cd vs. 47,500cd would not amount to much at all. Those are the advertised cd ratings that I see listed for both lights.

Lucky Duck

Enlightened

Got a link, not that I don't believe you, just can't find that particular listing.
Everywhere I look, 55k Cd.
Find it here, in the Commercial Corner, under Manufacturers on the Olight page, thread titled: "M23 Javelot - When?!"

Midnight.Sun

Newly Enlightened

I had to part with brand new G25C2mkII one and a half year ago, after only a week of EDC ing, it was a tough decision to make back then. So when i wrote this OP i had to depend only on my memory of it.

Today when i was easing my eyes with some of its pics, i realised that i made a mistake on the UI section by asking for printing marks beneath the head, as there is no room for that in the current body part design, so they have to modify the body part design a little bit in order for printing any marks there.

Another idea for mode indication is "FAINT CLICKS" the almost silent kind on each level instead of marks, no arrow, nothing, the < Adj > word on the head stays as it is , just add PHYSICAL FAINT CLICK on each level, which does not associate or interfere with any electrical part, just physical effect to indicate the exact best position in the middle of each specific mode, just like what the printed arrow was intended to do.

Midnight.Sun

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

okay. 1350 lumen max output. the main thing I would change for a Mk III is the block grip design on the tube. Should be updated to a more sophisticated and higher in hand feel design. The head UI interface has GOT to go. Only head twist should be made in order to say go from outdoor mode to tactical mode easily by turning the head. A side switch here is critical.

Latest posts