Wuben        
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: I'm about to become a statistic ... And why you should enjoy every day!

Default Re: I'm about to become a statistic ... And why you should enjoy every day!

So glad to hear you're doing good there Martin!

Default Re: I'm about to become a statistic ... And why you should enjoy every day!

Grateful for the update

Fantastic news Martin

Thanks everyone!

Hey Martin, so good to read you are doing well !!

I passend several follow up tests and check ups without any findings meanwhile and i really do hope that everything will end best possible for you too.

Keep your head up and my very best wishes!!

Cheers

RBR
    - Chuck Norris??? Never heard of her. -

Ven and martinaee,

Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, my S/O, Mary seems to have overcome it.
    GO FIGURE??

martinaee, even though it's all (my experience) at second-hand, I have some idea of how tough things are/were for you.
    Thankfully, it's all over except the anxiety? I hope so ...

RBR,
    Excuse me if I read it wrong, but are you back to 100% now?

Here's Hoping For All Of Us !!
    "...[they] Carry Torches And Pass Them One To Another" Socrates ~360 BCE

mckeand13's Brilliant Idea: CPF Members Map - Please Add Yourself?

Well done Mary and lightlover, maybe the most difficult part of life, challenging beyond what most can imagine and come out the other side stronger.

Warriors are not just on the battlefield

lightlover,

let me first of all express my congratulations to your Mary and to you that things do obviously go best possible!! I really keep my fingers crossed that everything keeps going optimally for Mary and you!

Well, 100%, almost philosophical.

In a clinical way I had no relapse so far and am free of other findings so I'm currently free of cancer but am though not rated as cured yet. In that respect a level of 100% would be reached after five years without relapse or new findings.

In a physical way I am not at 100% and will very likely not regain full capability again, though I'm way better off than prior to treatment in some respects, ironically such as power and endurance.

In a mental way I'm struggling a bit getting back to normal life again, so not back at 100% yet in that respect. But maybe that's more a question of perspective and i just didn't manage to find the right viewpoint yet.

But it could all have come way, way worse so I'm a lucky guy over all anyway.

Cheers and my very best wishes to you and Mary

RBR
    Last edited by RBR; 10-22-2016 at 08:37 AM.

Hi there Martin, been a while...

Are you OK ?

Just passed another round of aftercare screening myself without any serious findings...

Cheers

RBR

Hey RBR and all! Good to hear you're doing pretty well. I'm doing pretty swell overall. I've actually been enjoying life for the most part and taking it easy. I'm still going through "maintenance chemo" and will for the next year or so every 6 weeks, but its a specialized targeted immunotherapy drug and not the super harsh main cytotoxic chemos that trash your body--- you know "chemo" lol. This drug makes me really tired for a few days, but overall it's not that bad. I'm getting it every 6 weeks now instead of 4 in order to maybe alleviate some of the effects. So glad our insurance is still covering it mostly... I know the insurance doesn't actually pay the list price of everything straight up, but all my treatment costs over the past several years are astronomical... Holy hell I'm so lucky to have the treatment I've received considering I live in the USA where good health care most certainly isn't a basic human right ... ;\

Of course I worry about things and the future, but as you know you just can't let yourself do that too much and have to keep on going no matter what But yeah, things are going pretty well! I've been slowly trying to get back to doing things I love and am so glad we're going to be getting into spring soon here in Ohio!

Best wishes to you and everyone else!

Hey Martin,

thank you very much for your prompt reply!

That sounds quite good and I'm really glad that things turned to the better for you! I heard about the advantages of an immuno therapy, it is also way more efficacious than a normal shotgun chemo as far as I have read. Having joined that shotgun method myself too I can sing a song of how long it takes only to recover physically from that.
    I am currently in a job-transition process as I have to slow down a bit with what i do for a living in order to work generally on a little lower stress level, for health reasons too.

The black dog still shows up sometimes here too but as you said, things have to go on anyway and if that whole thing had something good for me it is that I came back more on the things that really count in life and to care less about future.

My very best wishes to you and everyone else out there suffering from that lousy disease.

Stay strong, keep your head up and let that bas.... have it.

RBR

I quit smoking in August of 2012. In the spring of 2013, I spoke with my aunt Dina in Florida and told her about the refillable ecigarettes that had helped me quit, and hoped that she would try them and hopefully quit her long habit of smoking. In 2014 she told me she'd used ecigs and managed to quit smoking. I felt like I had helped.

About 6 weeks ago, I get a call from my mother, who was visiting them in Fl. She told me that my aunt had experienced a "spell" where she had walked into the kitchen, and basically lost mental track of what was going on. My uncle found her standing there staring blankly, and took her to the hospital. Keep in mind, I just had another aunt die a few years ago after suffering through Alzheimer's. So that's what I assumed was wrong with Dina.

But they took her to the hospital, and after a couple days of awaiting test results, they had found 'spots' on her lung and her brain. Within 2 weeks of this sudden spell she suffered, she had lost much of her short term memory, and about 1-2 weeks later they found a whole bunch of new tumors in her lungs and brain.

As of last week she was finished with her radiation treatment, but she is now hospitalized and they have decided to forgo the chemotherapy they had planned. She doesn't seem to even be communicating verbally anymore either. It took just 5 weeks to get from no symptoms and seemingly healthy, to hospitalized and unable to communicate. I haven't even mentioned the list of other health related issues that have also begun plaguing her since this began, but it's not good.

Several years ago, I had a client in his early 80s who had never smoked and was a retired doctor. He came down with lung cancer. He went through treatment and seemingly became healthy again as the cancer subsided. Everyone thought he was fine. Then about a year later his tests showed it was returning. They said the earlier treatment that had been effective wouldn't work or just couldn't be used again(???) So from that time period, he went from looking healthy to losing huge amounts of weight and had literally become completely unresponsive verbally, and looked like a skeleton. That was just maybe 3 weeks after he was told the cancer had returned. He died about 2 days later.

Its absolutely stunning that "they" haven't been able to do more to help cancer victims.
    Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield.

Some more statistics, three years without recidive now, two more left to go and i can call myself being cured...

My best wishes to everyone out there who‘s fighting this war too.

Cheers

RBR
    Last edited by RBR; 02-13-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Fantastic RBR

Hope your doing good martin.

Lightlover to, not seen much of you on here, hope all is good your way.

I wish you luck, RBR. Most likely you will be OK. A couple of months ago I have discovered that there is some sort of “small cell” cancer does exist — two men known to me just faded out in no time... They even had no option to fight, doctors told them that treatment will do nothing — just extend the agony.

So, if you may fight and live a normal life, you win. I wish you strength and positive, optimistic perception of life Remember those two who had nothing, but to try to go with dignity. My wife just returned from the funeral...

OMG that's great to hear RBR! Are you still going through treatment at all? I know there is no definitive total cure, but everyday not having to go through total hell is great. I'm doing pretty well overall too and hopefully in a few more months will be "finished" with my long term treatments for good I hope. Best wishes to everyone else on this thread too who has been or is going through unfortunate stuff like this!

Hey Martin, i am really glad to read you’re doing good, even though still under treatment!!

I remember very well the lousy hard times I had during my chemo.

I do currently not have to run a treatment and I am a happy man every day I can start without a hand full of chemo for breakfast or a needle in my arm, laying flat on my nose whole day after that... and all those other side effects of the chemo.

Those I developed have almost completely faded out meanwhile.

I still have to run a very close meshed screening program every quarter, I have a high disability status now, left from those surgeries that have been necessary and this feeling of unsafety when waiting for screening results is often quite withering for me.

And though things go relatively well I am just not the old guy anymore, something fell by the wayside...

Stay strong Martin and let that fu....g desease have it!! Kick that Black dog´s butt every time it shows up!

My best wishes to you and everyone out there fighting for life.

RBR
    Last edited by RBR; 02-20-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Flashaholic

God bless Martinae. RBR and others who may be fighting cancer. Keep the positive attitude and faith.

Sadly, not everyone makes it. My best friend Joe is dying from pancreatic cancer. Amazingly he has had it almost 4 years. From what I have seen and been told the average person succumbs to the insidious disease in 1 or 2 years

Joe is a fighter and still living life, even though he is on hospice. 10 months ago he was 210 pounds,now is 135 pounds,it is so sad, he is so thin.

Like I said he lives each day to the fullest. Tomorrow we are playing frisbee Golf which he enjoys. I do not know how much strength he has but we will have fun no matter what.

Reality sucks sometimes. Especially when the people we love and care about are not fortunate to be a survivor.

There are many good stories and those are the ones that we should focus on to give all of us strength. One of which is my friend Louise who is a breast cancer survivor. It has been over 5 years now.It is amazing how it changed her in a positive way. She is a different person with a different outlook on life.

It is not what happens in our life that is important. It is how we react to what happens.

Keep the faith, keep the positive attitude and miracles can and do happen.

Just another screening´s been passed without findings...

Flashaholic*

That's good to hear RBR. I've been clean for 19 years now, it's easy for me to keep track because my son was five weeks old when I went under the knife. Even after 19 years I still get nervous when its time for the doctor's visit. It's important to try and keep a positive attitude, it helps to be with people who are positive and fun and treat you normally. Try to stay away from downers.

Just passed my five years survival line without a recidive or new findings so i can consider myself being officially cured...

Hope you‘re alive and kickin‘ too, Martin!!
    Last edited by RBR; 03-02-2020 at 12:52 PM.

Thats just awesome RBR, it can not get better than that.

The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner and I are at the tail-end of three years of her cancer.

September 2017

All our best to fellow cancer fighters n survivors.

January 2020
    Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 03-14-2020 at 06:45 PM.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Fantastic! Much love to you all and everyone <3

Excellent, Chance...

Got. my latest blood results today. Though all cancer indicator boxes have been ticked there was everything perfectly alright.

Just for some positive news in such nervous times.

Greetings and all the very best to everyone out there wrestling with cancer!!

Cheers

RBR
    Last edited by RBR; 03-14-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

RBR,

Great news!
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Flashaholic*

Awesome to hear! Bless you all!
    Prometheans #253

Hi all, sincere best wishes and regards to Cancer sufferers and carers and their families/friends.

I was diagnosed with a soft tissue/bone cancer called Leio Mio Sarcoma ( henceforth LMS ) about 12 months ago. Its a very rare cancer, and its total number of diagnosed cases are made up of approximately 80% women and 20% men. In Australia, diagnosed cases number less than 100. LMS is a very nasty cancer, but its also a very slow moving cancer. In my case, I started to find that sitting and squatting were becoming uncomfortable for me. A nagging discomfort in my groin that just wouldn't quit. So, under extreme pressure and duress from Mrs harro, off I went, to my family GP. After prodding and poking of the area in question, I was sent for an Ultrasound IMMEDIATELY. The U/S tech played around an area in my right side groin for quite some time. He said, ' Mike, don't go anywhere ( i'm on the table starkers, well, a tee shirt on anyway ), i'll be back in a sec.' He returned with the duty radiologist and together, they spent quite a bit of time looking at a certain area of my groin. After what seemed an eternity, the radiologist said to me, ' see that egg shaped thing there Mike, that shouldn't be there '. What followed was a torrent of feelings and emotion, washing over me, that has to be experienced to be believed. Well, Scanfest '19 ensued, with biopsies, more ultrasounds, several CT scans, two MRI's and a Petscan. The decision to remove the tumor ( now identified as a 6.3 CM malignant LMS non-metastasized tumor ) was made. I was just along for the ride!! Normally, a course of radiation treatment would be undertaken prior to the surgery, but it was deemed more important to remove the tumor first, in my case.
    Duly removed, I was referred to a surgical oncologist, a surgical urologist and a reconstructive surgeon. First step was a five week course of high dose radiation in the affected area to reduce the size of the scar tissue area ( from the tumor removal ). Yet more scans followed, proving inconclusive. By this stage, its nearing Xmas '19, and to say you felt yourself to be in limbo, would be an understatement. Next to come ( late Jan '20 ) was clearance margins surgery, normally done at the first surgery, but due to the urgency and location, was not done. My surgery consisted of clear margin work, and reconstructive surgery, for a total of about 9 hours under general anesthetic. The reconstructive work included taking a flap of skin from my leg, still with its own blood supply attatched, moving it up to my thigh, then tunneling it through the flesh of my upper leg, to the groin. Once there, it was attatched and so on and so forth. I was 8 days in hospital, the first 4 of which were flat on my back and prohibited from any movement whatsoever. The following days were learning to walk, toilet, shower etc, and just generally get mobile again. On the eve of my discharge from hospital, my surgical oncologist, Rob, walked into my room with a sheaf of papers in his hand. In those couple of seconds from him entering, to standing by the bedside, my life literally flashed before my eyes!! This was the results of the pathology from the surgery. Honestly, I didn't want to know, at that point. To say I was pooping bricks would be a gross understatement!! He looked at me and said ' of the four layers of skin/flesh removed, the first with the scar tissue showed a 5mmsq. patch of disease, the following three layers were totally clear '. At that point I was numb all over and my eyes succumbed to the onion fumes from onions someone was cutting up somewhere nearby. Rob was just smiling. He said, ' I thought that might make your day '. The following day I was released from hospital, to begin four weeks of home recovery. I have had a Petscan and CT scan since, and they showed me to be cancer free. I am now starting the five year checks ( as RBR has just finished, biggest congrats mate ), four six monthly checkups, then three, yearly checks. I cant say yet i'm out of the woods, but I sure as heck can say I can see the edge of them pretty clearly.

During the last twelve months, I would have been TOTALLY LOST without the invaluable love and support of my immediate family ( Mrs harro and son Tom ), family and friends. NEVER TAKE THAT FOR GRANTED. I would not have coped on my own. I have learnt a totally new set of life priorities, things I thought were important seem so trivial now. My friends support has been so important to me. Everyone has been so supportive. Really, I have just been along for the ride, on this journey. So many people have worked tirelessly for my wellbeing, and that's something for which, I will be eternally grateful. It is a debt I can never repay. I feel as lucky as if I had won a major lotto prize.

I can however, sympathise firsthand with anyone newly diagnosed with cancer, and my PM box is always open for someone/their carers to discuss what they are going through, if they so desired.

The facts of life are, not everyone will have an outcome like mine, and for those people, you have nothing but best wishes and hope and thoughts and prayers.

This pic is a couple of days post surgery, and of the skin donor site. No pics of the groin area. Note the purple sharpie markings, I think the surgeons played tic tac toe on my leg while I was under.

Same site, five and a half weeks post surgery, the TM16GT for a bit of scale,

The skin receiving site is doing as well as the donor site is.

Cheers from Downunder,
    Mike.
    Last edited by harro; 03-15-2020 at 02:26 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456