new 100 watt leds warning this is a joke

raggie33

*the raggedier*
and also some led for flashlight. i was told i should tell you that this is a joke link ***link removed by Sasha... as it turns out, this link tries to drop a trojan on to the computer that clicks on it. Please do not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif on raggie for this! My guess is that he was completely unaware!! However, let this be a lesson to ALL... some things that appear to be funny... aren't at all... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Additonal information: this trojan DOES NO HARM to the computer!! It is simply a "minor"... one of those pesky things that will try to gather information from your system for the purpose of email SPAM. Don't panic!! In reality, this is harmless... but can be very annoying and can trip your anti-virus warning bells.

LukeK

Enlightened
Re: new 100 watt leds

[ QUOTE ]
Aragorn said:
raggie i dunno= that link if found by sasha could be bad for you. its that sort of thing that would get you a warning at least. thats jmo tho so tioli.

at least warn people pls

sorry to rain on your party

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Seems rather harmless to me. But of course that's my opinion too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

jtice

Flashaholic

geee what a tight wad Ara has become. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
hehe j/k

Greta

Flashaholic

Ummmmm... ok... here's the deal. raggie, my dear, when posting links to things like that, it is highly recommended that you also post a disclaimer. Yes, I know that it takes the "fun" out of the joke but that's just the way we really do need to keep things here. There are some who will not appreciate the joke and will get pissed off. Likewise, there are some who will be offended by the language. We do try to avoid that kind of thing around here. So in the future, please remember these guidelines (read: LAWS!)... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now carry on... and raggie... just for good measure... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif<---raggie

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

In case anybody clicked on that link and now thinks they have a virus, you don't. Honestly, the alert that popped up from those with Macafee was trying to warn you that you were viewing a URL that was designed to be deceptive. In this case it was designed to fool you into thinking you were looking at news.yahoo.com when in reality you were getting sent to a joke site.

That is what the warning was about as I understood it. There is no trojan, there is no virus, there is no reason to be alarmed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This same technique is used by the people that send you links to fill in your paypal data into their scam websites. That is why it is flagged for you by Macafee to warn you that you may not be on the site you think you are.

But there is no danger beyond that. I can do the same thing by creating a link like this:

http://www.cnn.com:[email protected]/

if you just glance at that you'll think it's a link to cnn, but if you click on it everything before the at sign gets sent as if I was trying to log into a protected part of a website and it goes to cpf.

Thats all, nothing else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

now move along, nothing more to see here.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

I received an email from an observant member, unaware of the "results" I clicked on the link...THAT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN!

Yes, I'm one that can become VERY IRRITATED at someone who pulls one as this! Sasha - thanks for nipping it in the bud, James - THANK YOU for the explanation and for calming me down!

raggie...what can I say? I've said it, we all need to practice safe computing as well as mutual respect for others! No harm done "THIS TIME", but please ground yourself and/or take away a favorite food or television show and think about how your actions can affect others! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*

well i am very sorry ,ifeel that i should remove my self from group i meant this as a joke nothing more.so soon as i figure out how to im leaveing group .take care everyone and have a nice day

LukeK

Enlightened

Don't worry about it. Lesson learned, nothing else to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

LED-FX

Enlightened

Don`t think anyone holds Raggie responsible, in any way, at all, so no one is ragging on you Raggie :)

McAfee has somewhat of a chequered history and personally would never reccomend it, think how it reacted to this is a prime example.

Good time to remind everyone that they should have these FREEWARE
things installed on any computer they use:

Zonealarm firewall:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

Either or both of

Adaware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

SpyBot search and destroy:
http://www.safer-networking.org

and Competent, which excludes McAfee, Anti Virus protection.
Free AVG:

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

Adam

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well i am still very sorry i never ever do something intenaly that would cause hard.or offend someone.iwill be way more carefull on my jokes and links.ty for understanding everyone would be cool if there was a 100 watt led though.maybe someday,tillthen i use flourescent for home lighting

Negeltu

Enlightened
raggie... You didn't do anything wrong. A very easy and common mistake to make. No harm done. People sometimes react more strongly than they should.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well so we all learned something and got a litle smarter (the @ thing). I personally think thats ok. There are so many topics out there that are just bla and you read and read and read, and at the end you feel more stupid then before....

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey could somebody clearify whether there is or is not a trojan. In the original post, Sasha edited it to say there was one but it was a harmless one and then later on James said there there wasn't any at all. I clicked on it from work and would like to know the true scoop. I didn't get any warnings when I clicked on it.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i used to go there all the time. i dont use a scaner.or firewall since my router died it never gave me no problems .i just used a online scaner called housecall system is clean . i think some scaners are ust warning you that it wasnt a real website. once again im sorry. humer is a tricky thing what may be funny to me may be offensive to others . something i realy should of worked on. i didnt see the bad word on the last site. and for sure didnt know it gave false poisitives.once again im sorry.but i assure ya the site is safe my pc runs 24/7 months at a time i have no problems. but i do recomend for most people to use a GOOD scaner. and a good firewall.