Initial impressions of the Thrunite TN12 2014 NW

uofaengr

Enlightened
I'm not a flashlight expert (yet) nor claim to be so I thought I'd post my thoughts on a light most everyone around here is already familiar with. After what seemed like an eternity (10 days) I finally received my TN12 NW. I really didn't know what to expect and had my doubts relative to how affordable it is. Mine did not come with the pocket clip installed, and don't know if this is normal or not. Of course, buying things from Amazon I'm always afraid I'll get someone else's return. I probably will not use the clip anyway and will just use the included lanyard since it is kinda slick in hand. No it doesn't have the feel of a Surefire, but still feels nice. Definitely like the tail switch better than the one on my Fury.

The biggest thing I was afraid of was receiving a bad tint. Also, never compare any light to a Nichia because you'll always be disappointed lol. As I understand it and correct me if I'm wrong, but the NW version uses a XM-L2 T6 (not sure of nominal CCT) which is the same as a Zebralight SC52w (not sure if T6) with nominal CCT of 4400K. My SC52w, my only other XM-L2 NW light, is (sickly) greenish on low but can't really see it above the low modes, definitely warmer overall than my L11C N219b 4500K so I was expecting a wild green or yellow tint. I will say that I was EXTREMELY pleased with the tint. It's cooler than my N219b 4500K so I'd guess close to 5000K? No real noticeable hints of yellow or green, just a pleasant white tint on all modes. From as best I can see the emitter is perfectly centered.

The moonlight mode is bright to me, brighter than my SC52w and L11C, but it feels slightly more usable. The mode spacing is nice, definitely wouldn't want more than 5 modes. Not sure if I'm crazy about the mode memory since you can't go backwards resulting in temporary blindness going from low mode back to moonlight. I tried to compare the higher modes outside (with limited time and space) to the high mode of my P2X Fury. What ended up happening was I came away even more impressed of the beam of the Fury than I previously was, stacking it up against the 800 lumen high of the TN12 which also had a nice beam although yes, the Fury does have a larger head, but at 500 lumens looked almost as bright as the 800 lumens of the TN12 with maybe better throw. Just a testament to how well Surefire nails their beams I guess. Great beams on the TN12 though.

All in all, I really like it and really have no complaints. I plan on giving it a full workout out on the lake in the next couple weeks. The great tint really makes it a winner to me. I also like the feel of the switches, particularly the tail switch. I've worked out a grip where I keep my thumb on the tail switch and operate the side switch with my pinky. Hopefully it proves to be reliable, but at least for now it appears to be $45 very well spent and a nice introduction to 18650 lights.

prnguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a flashlight expert (yet) nor claim to be so I thought I'd post my thoughts on a light most everyone around here is already familiar with. After what seemed like an eternity (10 days) I finally received my TN12 NW. I really didn't know what to expect and had my doubts relative to how affordable it is. Mine did not come with the pocket clip installed, and don't know if this is normal or not. Of course, buying things from Amazon I'm always afraid I'll get someone else's return. I probably will not use the clip anyway and will just use the included lanyard since it is kinda slick in hand. No it doesn't have the feel of a Surefire, but still feels nice. Definitely like the tail switch better than the one on my Fury.

The biggest thing I was afraid of was receiving a bad tint. Also, never compare any light to a Nichia because you'll always be disappointed lol. As I understand it and correct me if I'm wrong, but the NW version uses a XM-L2 T6 (not sure of nominal CCT) which is the same as a Zebralight SC52w (not sure if T6) with nominal CCT of 4400K. My SC52w, my only other XM-L2 NW light, is (sickly) greenish on low but can't really see it above the low modes, definitely warmer overall than my L11C N219b 4500K so I was expecting a wild green or yellow tint. I will say that I was EXTREMELY pleased with the tint. It's cooler than my N219b 4500K so I'd guess close to 5000K? No real noticeable hints of yellow or green, just a pleasant white tint on all modes. From as best I can see the emitter is perfectly centered.

The moonlight mode is bright to me, brighter than my SC52w and L11C, but it feels slightly more usable. The mode spacing is nice, definitely wouldn't want more than 5 modes. Not sure if I'm crazy about the mode memory since you can't go backwards resulting in temporary blindness going from low mode back to moonlight. I tried to compare the higher modes outside (with limited time and space) to the high mode of my P2X Fury. What ended up happening was I came away even more impressed of the beam of the Fury than I previously was, stacking it up against the 800 lumen high of the TN12 which also had a nice beam although yes, the Fury does have a larger head, but at 500 lumens looked almost as bright as the 800 lumens of the TN12 with maybe better throw. Just a testament to how well Surefire nails their beams I guess. Great beams on the TN12 though.

All in all, I really like it and really have no complaints. I plan on giving it a full workout out on the lake in the next couple weeks. The great tint really makes it a winner to me. I also like the feel of the switches, particularly the tail switch. I've worked out a grip where I keep my thumb on the tail switch and operate the side switch with my pinky. Hopefully it proves to be reliable, but at least for now it appears to be $45 very well spent and a nice introduction to 18650 lights.

Yeah would be great to go backwards through the modes, perhaps a long press of 0.5sec could go back through the brightness levels, and quick press takes you forward... maybe thats an idea for the tn12 2015 col version