Nitecore TM16 Mini Review (Lots of photos + Beam shots)

Bruno28

Enlightened
Here is a quick review with pictures of the TM16. I will update the post as I find out more about this light.
Beam shots will be done once i get more time. Hopefully tonight.

First thing to notice is its size! Its the largest flashlight I currently have. Very big large diameter quad reflector.

Packaging is just a cardboard box, not very premium for the price we pay.

As you open the cardboard box, you are treated with this after removing a foam protection :)

Included accessories are shown. I think my lanyard came in 2 pieces :(

The light itself

The business end. Quad XML emitter, all well squared and aligned.

Tail cap, has a standard tripod mount

More photos of this beauty

Tail Cap connections

Body electrical connections. Does not accept flat top 18650 as can be seen.

Battery polarity indication on each battery slot.

Battery Height on board. Unprotected cells are shorter, so there is a lot of space left to compensate by the spring to close circuit. Batteries used: Samsung INR18650-25

Emitters lit up in lowest mode.

Beam on lowest mode close up

Beam on lowest mode about 30cm/1foot away

Battery voltage illumination

Size comparison to other lights (TM16, TN30, SR52, TK35, R40 Seeker, D40C, JM35, MM15)

Upright comparison (TM16, TN30, SR52, TK35, R40 Seeker, D40C, JM35, MM15)

Body length comparison (TM16, TN30, SR52, TK35, R40 Seeker, D40C, JM35, MM15)

Reflector size comparison (TM16, TN30, SR52, TK35, R40 Seeker, D40C, JM35, MM15)

Close up to similar size/output lights (TM16, TN30, SR52, MM15)

Business end of similar size/output lights (TM16, TN30, SR52, MM15)

Beam shots
Setup:
Tm16 (4000L), D40C (2000L), Sr52 (1200L)

90cm from wall exposure 1/1000 second

90cm from wall exposure 1/8000 second

Outside about 5 meters away

Outside on trees, about 7 meters away.

Last edited:

Bruno28

Enlightened
Re: Nitecore TM16 Mini Review

Post reserved for updates

1. The TM16 does not accept flat top 18650. My solution was to drop a blob of solder into the flat top so that electrical contact can be successful. The inside positive contacts are "dipped" down so that there is no issues with reverse polarity.
28cdf3fa98ce422adba67fb1c6a72212.jpg

2. The light does not lock out mechanically until the o-ring shows up.
With the solder blob on a flat top this issue is fixed. By only twisting the end cap a little over a quarter turn, the light is mechanically locked out.

3. In hand for size
a23ba2093857217c2379a6ca07bd2ea8.jpg

6d9f9f2572c584d10fe7734d8d716694.jpg

Last edited:

grumbler

Newly Enlightened

The lanyard isn't in two pieces; the short piece of thread is there to help you pull the lanyard through the hole on the flashlight's body. Other lights (possibly all) in the Tiny Monster series come packaged like this.

Bruno28

Enlightened

Ahhh got it. Thanks for that. Normally lanyards have a thinner one that is used on the light s nd the thicker used for wrist. This one is just one.

markr6

Flashaholic

Looks GREAT!! :twothumbs

I got a good deal on one with a current boost and 5000K emitters :) I just don't like cool white so that was holding me back, but this will make everything right!! Good to hear about the mechanical lockout; not something I will do every time using the light, but good peace of mind for when it will sit for a longer period.

I was in the market for a big floody light, but turns out I really wanted a BIG thrower with some spill. I think this will be it!

Bruno28

Enlightened

How did you get a 5000k and current boost? Where from?

The mechanical lockout is only because you unscrew so much that the contact points don't touch the battery poles.

With my modified flat top it works perfect. But with Burton top you need to almost unscrew all the way.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice job Bruno +1

You've quite a stable of nice cannons to destroy darkness with.

At least us commoners can live through these great posts. ☺

markr6

Flashaholic

The mechanical lockout is only because you unscrew so much that the contact points don't touch the battery poles.

With my modified flat top it works perfect. But with Burton top you need to almost unscrew all the way.

I was just asking Vinh about the TM16 and he happened to be messing around with one. I remember him not being a big fan of the Nitecore lights, so I didn't plan on it. Great timing! This light is just so appealing to me I had to do it! I was very close to getting an Acebeam K60, but I think the side switch makes more sense on a light this BIG.

Bruno28

Enlightened

Beam shots added :)
Did as much as I could before going to sleep.

Im currently using those high discharge Blue Samsung INR 18650-25 2500mah.
I tried some ultra fire 3000mah and the light didn't seem bright at all. I wasn't surprised by it. Then tried the high discharge and BAM, loads more light out of it. I would recommend good quality 18650 and maybe high discharge.

Last edited:

Bruno28

Enlightened

Thank you for the effort and the review!

It takes a lot of time to do this, so sleep well :)

Thanks :) yes it does take time, and to edit photos and add tags, etc.
If you guys want a specific comparison with any of the lights in the photos let me know, give me details on how you want, and ill try my best during the weekend. :)

markr6

Flashaholic

Mark,

What will you be using for cells in TM16?

Thanks,
-Chuck

I actually have some Samsung 25Rs up for sale in the marketplace. I guess I can cancel that sale and use them, but I think the new 3500mAh NCR18650GA would be much better for runtime while still supplying more than enough current.

Beam shots added
smile.gif

Looking good!! Getting excited for this one!!

Last edited:

Bruno28

Enlightened

I actually have some Samsung 25Rs up for sale in the marketplace. I guess I can cancel that sale and use them, but I think the new 3500mAh NCR18650GA would be much better for runtime while still supplying more than enough current.

Looking good!! Getting excited for this one!!
Just remember that if you use flat tops, you will need to do that solder mod so that the positive contacts inside the light close the circuit.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow Nitecore finally made a for real TK75 competitor! Just in time for the 2015 TK75 upgrade that drops in a month or two. Quality actually looks far better than usual Nitecore fair. Yes the new 3500mah 10a 18650s are perfect for a light like this.

sinner-cpf

Newly Enlightened
Looks quite nice, and ton of light. For the flat tops i get those small neodymium magnets they're removable and dont have much resistance if you keep the contact surfaces clean.

HEDP

Enlightened

What what is mechanical lockout?

Bruno28

Enlightened

What what is mechanical lockout?
It's opening the electric circuit so that if you accidently press the light on, it will not turn on. Specially good when you put the light in a bag.

Also since the on/off is an electrical switch, it consumes power as its always on stand by waiting for the user to press. This consumes power and drains battery. By "locking out" the battery terminals are not closing the electrcal circuit so it won't ever turn on.
Hope that makes sense

sinner-cpf

Newly Enlightened

That actually makes perfect sense, atleast a "proven" safety feature albeit sounds like an ancient one. If all else fails disconnect the mains, eh?

HEDP

Enlightened

It's opening the electric circuit so that if you accidently press the light on, it will not turn on. Specially good when you put the light in a bag.

Also since the on/off is an electrical switch, it consumes power as its always on stand by waiting for the user to press. This consumes power and drains battery. By "locking out" the battery terminals are not closing the electrcal circuit so it won't ever turn on.
Hope that makes sense

Do all lights use electrical switches? (I'm guessing they do).

So, locking out is just unscrewing the cap enough so the battery isn't connected. Is this a good thing to do if you aren't going to use the ligt for more than 3 months or something?