ZeroRez switches and Malkoff Lights.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I really like using Oveready ZeroRez switches, and I adore using my Malkoff lights. Trouble is they don't really work together. Using a protected cell (I haven't any unprotected cells to try) closing the switch crushes the necessarily short spring in the head and consequently the nipple on the top of the cell. The problem is the distance the switch has to travel to contact the collar on the switch with the battery tube. One answer is to grind off the tip of the ZeroRez by about 1 or 2mm to make the travel shorter, but lacking a lathe I have thought of another way.
I bought some Aluminium sealing washers on Ebay, 27mm o/d and 1mm and 2mm thick.
Place this inside the head between the Hi/Lo ring or retaining ring and the battery tube. This will stop the spring getting crushed and allow the switch to work properly. Maybe this is unnecessary with Flat Tops or unprotected cells, I haven't any to experiment with.
The Hi/lo ring still functions but I'd recommend you experiment with 1 or 2mm thickness. 1mm works for me.
I've tested this on Malkoff HD 18650, regular Hd/MD4 and MD2/M61 without Hi/lo. With a ZRM, ZRT and Triad tail. Momentary works well with the ZRT.
I cannot see any improvement in light output, I just think the ZeroRez is a superior, unbreakable switch, which feels so much better.
Peter

Edit:
Even better is a similar washer (21mm O/D 1.5mm thick I think) inserted into the tailcap around the Zerorez nipple. This works and you'll retain maximum threads at the head.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using this setup for a couple of weeks now, on MD2/M61, HD18650 and HD MD4, and have had no problems. I've just received two new AW 18650's without crushed nipples (OUCH!) and they need the 2mm washer to function properly. Obviously different cells from different manufacturers wil have different lengths, so you need to experiment with 1mm and 2mm washers or even a combination of the two. But it works so well when you get it right.
P