Where's the best place to get rechargeable 18650 batteries?

HEDP

Enlightened
I've used a few different kind of 18650 batteries. Ultrafires and AW brand. Am looking for any brand that is reliable and well priced.

Where is the best to get these batteries and what's the best brands?

I've ordered from batteryjunction a few times and haven't had any problems but wondering if they may not be the best price on equipment.

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
To name a few. I like Mtn electronics, Orbtronics, Oveready, and Lighthound. I usually stay away from xxxfire bateries

miller

Newly Enlightened
I was told nitecore where the best so was gonna get some of Amazon until I read that if you remove plastic coating the are actually Samsung cells. Better of buying Samsung cells as they are cheaper at nearly half the price. So I ordered Samsung 18650 ones of Amazon. Will let you know what they are like

markr6

Flashaholic
Why why is that?

With some* safety concern, it's just good to stay with reputable sellers that don't have old 2-year-old stock and even possibly fake cells. If they're selling a lot, hopefully that also keeps their price down and stock rotating too.

*I say "some" because I just don't believe in getting $18 protected cells just because 1/10,000 people had one blow up; probably due to user error in the first place. False peace of mind IMO anyway. Lots of scare tactics out there, probably not intentional, but just look around. Seems like all fires and explosions on youtube involve a 100A battery charger or car battery, hammer, and nail :) I have NO worries running good quality 18650s in quality lights and quality chargers. Rant over!

I just like plain cells (LG, Samsung, Panasonic) with a button top added. I don't know of any lights that won't run a button top, but can list several that won't run a flat top.

HEDP

Enlightened
With some* safety concern, it's just good to stay with reputable sellers that don't have old 2-year-old stock and even possibly fake cells. If they're selling a lot, hopefully that also keeps their price down and stock rotating too.

*I say "some" because I just don't believe in getting $18 protected cells just because 1/10,000 people had one blow up; probably due to user error in the first place. False peace of mind IMO anyway. Lots of scare tactics out there, probably not intentional, but just look around. Seems like all fires and explosions on youtube involve a 100A battery charger or car battery, hammer, and nail :) I have NO worries running good quality 18650s in quality lights and quality chargers. Rant over!

I just like plain cells (LG, Samsung, Panasonic) with a button top added. I don't know of any lights that won't run a button top, but can list several that won't run a flat top.

Ok. You use LG, Samsung, and Panasonic batteries?

I'd rather buy someone 100% ready to go. So those batteries you have to buy and then add your own button somehow?

Ok

markr6

Flashaholic

I'd rather buy someone 100% ready to go. So those batteries you have to buy and then add your own button somehow?

Ok

No that is definitely something I don't want to mess with. I get them from mtn electronics, button ready to go. Many other sellers do this as well.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok

HEDP: apologies in advance if I'm misreading this, but based on your questions, it feels to me like you're a complete newbie to this --which is great, good to have more converts. But Li Ion batteries aren't quite as straightforward as, say, alkalines. Buy a low-quality alkaline, worst case the runs out of juice really quickly, maybe there's a slightly higher chance it will leak in your equipment and ruin it. With a poor quality Li Ion, not only can you expect poor performance (in a potentially much more expensive cell, so far more money wasted), but mishandled, these can do catch fire or explode, and the energy stored in a 3000+ mAh 18650 cell is NO JOKE. Hopefully you've carefully read and understood the handling, charging, using tips in the battery forum (although if you'd done that, I suspect you'd already have a good idea of what the good cells are).

Most of us buy higher quality brands, and stay away from xxxFire brands, because the higher quality brands have high quality cells (sourced from a few high quality manufacturers, such as Samsung) in them. And, we think (but don't know for sure) the safety mechanisms might be higher quality, too. Some high quality brands include AW, Eagletac, Nitecore, Orbtronics, etc. If a brand has "fire" in its name, I assume it's junk, unless someone on the forums tests and dissects it, and proves it's not, and I absolutely won't buy them. We couple these with a high quality charger that's been tested to use the right charging algorithm, including full cutoff at charge termination. Again, if you read the battery forum, you'll see the brands.

1DaveN

Enlightened
I get my lithium batteries from Amazon because I'm worried about getting fakes from unknown sellers on ebay etc. I've seen others recommend different places for the same reason - Mtn Electronics, Orbtronic, Battery Junction, and Fenix Store come right to mind.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Orbtronic.com for Orbtronics, illumn.com for Keeppower. For now GoingGear.com for Olight cells. If you are looking for bare unprotected Panasonics or Sanyos or even LG both the mentioned sites have them as well. Nitecore cells I thought were also Pannys but could be wrong. Nitecore NL189 is likely the worst 3400mah value. Nitecore in house design protection circuits on what I thought was a Panny cell sloppily wrapped with a Nitecore label for over $20? Both Orbtronic and Keeppower 3400mah are indeed Panny based and have Seiko designed and built PCB's on a very well wrapped cell with copper plated negative ends they just dropped in price to $15 or less per cell they are now an outstanding value and buy. New Olight 3600mah. Dont know to much about this one trying to find specifics has been suspiciously hard. I am presuming Olight PCBs are Olight designed. 3400mah are indeed Panny based.

HEDP

Enlightened
HEDP: apologies in advance if I'm misreading this, but based on your questions, it feels to me like you're a complete newbie to this --which is great, good to have more converts. But Li Ion batteries aren't quite as straightforward as, say, alkalines. Buy a low-quality alkaline, worst case the runs out of juice really quickly, maybe there's a slightly higher chance it will leak in your equipment and ruin it. With a poor quality Li Ion, not only can you expect poor performance (in a potentially much more expensive cell, so far more money wasted), but mishandled, these can do catch fire or explode, and the energy stored in a 3000+ mAh 18650 cell is NO JOKE. Hopefully you've carefully read and understood the handling, charging, using tips in the battery forum (although if you'd done that, I suspect you'd already have a good idea of what the good cells are).

Most of us buy higher quality brands, and stay away from xxxFire brands, because the higher quality brands have high quality cells (sourced from a few high quality manufacturers, such as Samsung) in them. And, we think (but don't know for sure) the safety mechanisms might be higher quality, too. Some high quality brands include AW, Eagletac, Nitecore, Orbtronics, etc. If a brand has "fire" in its name, I assume it's junk, unless someone on the forums tests and dissects it, and proves it's not, and I absolutely won't buy them. We couple these with a high quality charger that's been tested to use the right charging algorithm, including full cutoff at charge termination. Again, if you read the battery forum, you'll see the brands.

Thanks. I'll have to read about the batteries. Yeah, I'm not huge into flashlights. But getting to know about them.

What about the Ultrafire charger, is ok? If not, what's a good economical charger?

uofaengr

Enlightened
Orbtronic.com for Orbtronics, illumn.com for Keeppower. For now GoingGear.com for Olight cells. If you are looking for bare unprotected Panasonics or Sanyos or even LG both the mentioned sites have them as well. Nitecore cells I thought were also Pannys but could be wrong. Nitecore NL189 is likely the worst 3400mah value. Nitecore in house design protection circuits on what I thought was a Panny cell sloppily wrapped with a Nitecore label for over $20? Both Orbtronic and Keeppower 3400mah are indeed Panny based and have Seiko designed and built PCB's on a very well wrapped cell with copper plated negative ends they just dropped in price to $15 or less per cell they are now an outstanding value and buy. New Olight 3600mah. Dont know to much about this one trying to find specifics has been suspiciously hard. I am presuming Olight PCBs are Olight designed. 3400mah are indeed Panny based.
I recently bought my Keeppower 3400mah 18650s for less than $14 a cell from Amazon.

markr6

Flashaholic
I just bought 4 of these: KeepPower 3.6V 18650 3400mAh Lithium Protected Rechargeable Battery

at http://www.gearbest.com/chargers-batteries/pp_104176.html for $11.15 each. I hope that's the right battery to use with a Nitecore TM16 and Lumapower MRVK.

That uses the Panasonic NCR18650B...a well-trusted cell. I think it would be OK in the TM16. I'm not sure of the current on that light, but it looks like Nitecore used their 2600mAh cells for specs. I believe those are Samsung cells good up to 5.2A or so. I would love to know what kind of current this lights pulls, but I haven't seen any reviews yet.

I'm having a hard time selling some like-new Samsung 25R cells, so I'll probably use those since I may be stuck with them :). Bigtime overkill with a 20A continuous discharge rating!

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I'll have to read about the batteries. Yeah, I'm not huge into flashlights. But getting to know about them.

And about the chargers. And about how to use the batteries. Although people aren't lighting themselves on fire left and right with these things, so I don't want to get hysterical, there *are* cases of "venting with flame" (exploding) and other incidents that either have or could have caused serious bodily harm. If you were my buddy, I'd be strongly recommending that, if you aren't interesting in putting in the little bit of research first (and no problem if you don't want to, it's just batteries and flashlights after all) you should be sticking with alkaline, Eneloops, CR123s... I mean, really strongly suggesting that.

What about the Ultrafire charger, is ok? If not, what's a good economical charger?

The general guideline I follow, again, is: nothing with "fire" in the name. In the case of the older Ultrafire chargers, they were tested to not terminate properly on charge completion, which made them unacceptable to me. Don't know about newer ones. Read the battery forum to find names of inexpensive chargers that safely and properly charge Li Ions

Oscar3

Newly Enlightened

Hey CelticCross,

Thanks for the tip on Keeppower on Illumn.com. I saw the Keeppower 3400mah Panasonic ncr18650b protected button top for $9.99. Does anyone know if this would be the equivalent for the overpriced nitecore 3400mah button top on Amazon for $19.26? Or in other words, will this Keeppower battery give me the approximate same duration & quality of power for my soon to be purchased MH20GT vs the Nitecore battery?

I've going through these forums trying to find which 18650 brand to buy since I'm new to the flashlight world. Thanks!

http://www.illumn.com/batteries-cha...panasonic-ncr18650b-protected-button-top.html

ven

Flashaholic
Both the KP and NC have the same pany B cell inside, just they add their own PCB and wrapper................then a hefty premium.

KP's are what i would go for!

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Panasonic NCR18650B button top. Can find them 4 for $25. or less. Can always find Nitecores, just a different price.