Brightest primary CR123A flashlight with nice Clip?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm trying to get away from rechargeable batteries for a number of reasons so let me tap the vast pool of knowledge here.

I want a 1 x CR123A flashlight that is small enough to carry in my pocket. It must come with a nice pocket clip. I am not interested in output from a rechargeable battery. Please only give numbers for CR123A primary. It must be safe to use. Cool white is ok but nothing with a green tint so no Surefires. Floody beam is fine so no tir. Only interested in brands carried by American dealers.

My favorite UI is infinite adjustment but electronic clicky is nice also. Any type of clicky is ok but no twisties. No cycling through blinkie modes but I do like hidden strobe.

Not interested in Eagtac.

Price under $200.

Thanks for your suggestions.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I know that you are already aware of the HDS 325 ... (over budget) .

Malkoff makes several nice torches designed for primary CR123A, as well.

MDC HA SHO 1CR123 ... about $100, 250 lumens, single mode.

Or MDC HA TAC ... similar to the HA SHO, but multi-mode.

If you can go up to 2x CR123A ... MDC XP-L, about $150, ~ 500 lumens, multi-mode.

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
SC32w CR123 Flashlight Neutral White - 446 lumens

recDNA

Flashaholic
Lumintop ed11 is 560 lumens (selfbuilt) but I cannot find an American dealer. Is SC32 the next best?

Malkoff and HDS are nice lights but not very bright with 1 x CR123a. I'd like another HDS but it is in a different category. I am looking for BRIGHT. I rule out Eagtac because if threads get a little dirty it doesn't work properly.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're probably not going to beat the Zebralight on a primary. Also, it's a practical limitation. There's only so much current you can pull from a primary.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I want a 1 x CR123A flashlight....
It must be safe to use....

....it's a practical limitation. There's only so much current you can pull from a primary.

Yes, if you stick to 1C draw ( ~ 1500 mA ) , and choose cool white high flux bin emitters, there will be a ceiling for your max output.

In terms of emitter lumens (not OTF), XPG2 ~ 488 lm, XML2 ~ 580 lm, XPL ~ 623 lm.

I usually estimate 30% loss from emitter to OTF output, which reduces those numbers to ~ 340 / 400 / 430 ....

... And I'm kind of amazed that 250 lm is no longer considered "bright" :shrug:

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Higher numbers have actually been measured by selfbuilt. Perhaps less lost in glass than expected.

Lights went out in my lab the other night and I noticed the 500 lumens in my pocket didn't make a dent. It dimly illuminated the space but no way could I work.

Seattle Sparky

Newly Enlightened
My e1d does not have a green tint, rather neutral. I am not sure how well it will ride in a pocket without eating it, since I carry my in a belt holster. It's 300 lumen may not be the highest output for a single 123, it sure has a great throw.

Raze

Enlightened
I have an MD3 with M91A. Figured that would give me at least 700 lumens sustained, and was using it on a walk through the woods at night near my in-laws' property.

I brought my MDC Tac along coz it's my EDC, and tested both lights during the walk. I am pleased and surprised to find that 250 lumens from the MDC throws further than the M91A. The latter is brighter, but all those lumens goes into the spill. to my eyes, the MDC is indeed bright.

Just sharing my experience.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thanks. I care more about floody high output though. I want to light a room not a varmint in the distance.

saypat

Enlightened
Lumintop ed11 is 560 lumens (selfbuilt) but I cannot find an American dealer. Is SC32 the next best?

Malkoff and HDS are nice lights but not very bright with 1 x CR123a. I'd like another HDS but it is in a different category. I am looking for BRIGHT. I rule out Eagtac because if threads get a little dirty it doesn't work properly.

I have the Lumintop ED11.Fantastic lil offering! Small, great clip, nice UI. Picked it up here in CPF as a used light, but it is a 10. Got it for $30. It's a keeper.

Might want to check out the Zebralight H302W. Just picked this one up. One of my favorite lights, seriously, in my collection of over 50.

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
Non tir with a good clip,does that exist? Maybe MDC? I will have one soon-ish. No clips compare to surefire, maybe that's the only thing they always get right.

recDNA

Flashaholic
How does the brightness of lumintop compare visually with other 1 x cr123 lights you own?

holygeez03

Enlightened
ZL H32w? Then you could angle the light directly at your workspace, or even use it as an actual headlamp... I actually prefer the removable clip on the ZL headlamps.

if ~450 lumens isn't enough for your needs, I would imagine an 18650 light will be needed... or better yet, since your budget is $200... get the SC32w AND the H32w and use them together when necessary. I often ceiling bounce my SC52w or SC62w and use my H52w as a worklight/headlamp.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Something got lost in translation. I am interested in a primary CR123A pocket flashlight with a good pocket clip. No interest in a headlamp.

It isn't a question of whether 450 lumens is enough. The question is if ED11 produces 560 why settle for 450?

Last edited:

holygeez03

Enlightened
According to selfbuilt, the ED11 is 510 lumens using CR123A... 510 vs 450 lumens will not be noticeable at ALL in actual use... so choose the light that has the better form factor, UI, runtimes, etc. for you...

I suggested the H32w as a CR123A pocket flashlight with a good pocket clip... I think it works wonderfully for that purpose... I never use my H52w as a headlamp.

Earlier, you stated "I noticed the 500 lumens in my pocket didn't make a dent. It dimly illuminated the space but no way could I work." So I was saying that if 500 lumens is not enough, use two lights...

I have several ZL's and I really like the UI for most everyday type uses...

I have no experience with Lumintop, but I will say that the UI sounds annoying to me... always coming in low mode and having to cycle to high every time... I also generally hate reverse-clicky switches... but that is all subjective.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Oh I prefer zl to lumintop ui but for this particular pocket light output is my #1 purpose. I have many lights for many purposes.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can a single CR123 put out an honest 450 lumens and not cook off without thermal regulation or an a immediate step down?

1 CR123 lights get hot @ 250 lumens....

:thinking:

Also theres these HOPEFULLY ( PLEASE DAVID ) coming out.

PK + David Chow? Thats an insane callabo. Oh yeah, wanted to mention I got to play with one. :D For a micro second..... I actually thought about running away with it, but there were just too many people. Forrest would have got clotheslined and probably a proper kick in the pants by PK....

http://flashlightguide.com/2015/01/foursevens-2015-new-products/

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can a single CR123 put out an honest 450 lumens and not cook off without thermal regulation or an a immediate step down?

1 CR123 lights get hot @ 250 lumens....

:thinking:

Also theres these HOPEFULLY ( PLEASE DAVID ) coming out.

PK + David Chow? Thats an insane callabo. Oh yeah, wanted to mention I got to play with one. :D For a micro second..... I actually thought about running away with it, but there were just too many people. Forrest would have got clotheslined and probably a proper kick in the pants by PK....

http://flashlightguide.com/2015/01/foursevens-2015-new-products/

Look slick. Look like they would shred a pocket. Ti is not a good conductor of heat.