Tri EDC Damascus

gktii

Enlightened
Hello everyone. :wave: Wanted to see if anyone knows, exactly how many Damascus Tri Edc's were produced? I've been searching for one of these unicorns, for close to a year, but have been unsuccessful. I know there were several of these produced, at least 6 to my knowledge, but i'm not completely positive. Does anyone have any further knowledge about these?

gktii

Enlightened
Oh. Wow. That was more than I thought. I'm trying o acquire one and it's like searching for ice in the desert! Lol. Thx for the info. Wonder if anyone would like to be paid a premium for one? [emoji6][emoji106]🏼

Light11

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one of the original 3 and I have the last one that Mac made just for me with some unique features:) after that he said it would be the last Damascus light to be produced....I call it the "buddy light"

gktii

Enlightened
I got one of the original 3 and I have the last one that Mac made just for me with some unique features:) after that he said it would be the last Damascus light to be produced....I call it the "buddy light"

you have 2?? haha...awesome!

Mtbmurf

Newly Enlightened
Cant leave us hangin...PICS somewhere?!!!!!

nbp

Flashaholic
I wish I had just splashed for one of these when Mac offered up the last batch. You can always get more money, but there are only a handful of these spectacular Dam Tris. :sigh:

davidhunternyc

Newly Enlightened
Is it me? I think that a "Damascus" treatment on a flashlight or even a knife is wrong. "Damascus" is a fake applied finish which originally came from a noble japanese process of sword making. It took weeks to make a Samurai Damascus Sword which involved melting the steel and folding it upon itself dozens of times which naturally gave the sword this appearance and made it extremely strong. This so-called treatment on a flash light strikes me as disingenous and kitsch. With original Damascus steel, form follows function. With this Damascus flashlight, it is more like a halloween costume. Please feel free to disagree.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
*scratches head* I'm pretty sure these were made from true folded steel and the pattern is through and through, not just a "so called treatment". Many custom makers have made lights from Dam over the years actually.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Is it me?

Japanese sword makers used tamahagane steel developed in Japan in the 4th Century B.C. A traditional Japanese sword is not made from Damascus steel! Damascus steel is a nickname for Wootz steel, likely originally developed in S. India 6th Century B.C. and imported by Arab traders to Damascus by the 3rd Century B.C. The steel production technique was lost at some point when trade routes were cut off, and eventually rediscovered and popularized as Damascus steel in the early 1970's at gun shows, and this reborn steel eventually made its way into the hosts of some modern torches. I am not any expert, just read wikipedia sometimes, but I am unaware of any sort of fake Damascus steel, other than distinguishing between material used in authentic Damascus blades and the modern equivalent of producing that steel. IOW, as crazy as its desire makes us, that Damascus host is surely sincerely genuine.

gktii

Enlightened
I've never even heard of a Damascus "finish". All the Damascus knives and lights I've ever seen, are made with folded steel either called Damascus or damasteel (both are similar but different forms of steel in the Damascus. One is carbon and the other is stainless). But no idea what or where the term "Damascus finish" came from.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe he is thinking about some of the the lights that may have a Ti (or other metal) core. Then they are wrapped in a thinner, but real, Dam sleeve?? Yes it would be a cover, but it is real and ones I have seen look darn good.
I believe Tain has used this technique before.