*new* Olight S30R II (version 2)

kj2

Flashaholic
swr1xj.jpg

2ql7bdh.jpg

14wb0br.jpg

With the new custom battery, charging problems should be solved.

markr6

Flashaholic
Good looking light right there! I like the marketing too; a little different than the same old copycat stuff over and over.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
So with new custom battery does that mean you are now stuck with only being able to use that specific 18650? I know that it's more than likely the only one you can use for the built in charger but what if I needed to use a regular 18650 and just charged it with a stand alone charger? Will this battery be offered along with the new tail cap and charger to those with a first Gen S30R that is having the issues?

markr6

Flashaholic
So with new custom battery does that mean you are now stuck with only being able to use that specific 18650? I know that it's more than likely the only one you can use for the built in charger but what if I needed to use a regular 18650 and just charged it with a stand alone charger? Will this battery be offered along with the new tail cap and charger to those with a first Gen S30R that is having the issues?

I doubt there is anything custom about it. Probably a re-wrapped Panasonic. Maybe they do their own protection circuit but that's probably it.

In the photo they show a 3600mAh next to their 3200mAh as well. Not sure if they're implying anything there.

OR only their batter will be able to charge in light, and others will have to be charged outside the light in a separate charger?

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt there is anything custom about it. Probably a re-wrapped Panasonic. Maybe they do their own protection circuit but that's probably it.

In the photo they show a 3600mAh next to their 3200mAh as well. Not sure if they're implying anything there.

OR only their batter will be able to charge in light, and others will have to be charged outside the light in a separate charger?

there are 2 versions of s30r Mark2, one with 3600 and a slightly cheaper one with 3200. probably ncr18650g and ncr18650be, respectively

kj2

Flashaholic
What I heard from the distributor here, is that the S30R II uses a custom battery, like the R20 uses. So I think you won't be able to charge a standard 18650 in the light. But we will know for sure, when Olight releases the light.
And the distributor also told me Olight uses a different brand (probably Sanyo) instead of Panasonic for their 3600mAh 18650.

markr6

Flashaholic
there are 2 versions of s30r Mark2, one with 3600 and a slightly cheaper one with 3200. probably ncr18650g and ncr18650be, respectively

That's odd. Seems like it wouldn't be worth their time to mess with two nearly identical cells.

markr6

Flashaholic
What I heard from the distributor here, is that the S30R II uses a custom battery, like the R20 uses. So I think you won't be able to charge a standard 18650 in the light. But we will know for sure, when Olight releases the light.

People inserting a junk xxxFire 7000mAh, blowing up, then blaming Olight?

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
And the distributor also told me Olight uses a different brand (probably Sanyo) instead of Panasonic for their 3600mAh 18650.

really? the sanyo ncr18650ga is 3450mah, marketed as "3500mah" so selling it as "3600" would be really pushing it

kj2

Flashaholic
really? the sanyo ncr18650ga is 3450mah, marketed as "3500mah" so selling it as "3600" would be really pushing it

I don't know for sure, all I heard they use a different brand. But be wrong info though. Have to wait for confirmation.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
That 3600 battery has been up for sale at Goingear for some time now...think it runs $24...

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding is that they are replacing the tailcap to solve the problem with the charging in Version 1.

Going to a "customized" battery is a real loser in my opinion now they have a customized battery & a customized dock.

I hope this isn't the solution for version 1, if it is I'll probably just forgo the "R" portion of the light and use standard batteries.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The battery itself has nothing to do with the issues that the S30R first gen is having. We are shipping the tail caps and charging bases only. Thank you!"

That was Olight World's response when I asked if the battery was part of the fix for the first gen and if so if it would be available to first gen owners like the tail caps and chargers are. Not sure whether it is proprietary or not.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Started a thread in Olight's manufacturer section on the battery and they said any 18650 can be used in the light but they recommend using only an Olight battery for internal recharging. They said this was due to only testing the charging with the Olight battery and other batteries may cause damage to the light as well as void the warranty. As for the "custom" part they said it has a custom protection circuit for better reliability, EDC, and safety.

kj2

Flashaholic
Started a thread in Olight's manufacturer section on the battery and they said any 18650 can be used in the light but they recommend using only an Olight battery for internal recharging. They said this was due to only testing the charging with the Olight battery and other batteries may cause damage to the light as well as void the warranty. As for the "custom" part they said it has a custom protection circuit for better reliability, EDC, and safety.
Well, that clears it up :thumbsup:

Latest posts