What's the best, safe, budget charger for these batteries?

HEDP

Enlightened
I just got some KeepPower 3.6V 18650 3400mAh Lithium Protected Rechargeable Batteries ( http://www.gearbest.com/chargers-batteries/pp_104176.html ) and am wondering what the best, safe, budget charger is. I also use AW and Ultrafire batteries for my flashlights. I just ordered a Nitecore TM16 and use Lumapower MRVK's. All the batteries I have are button top.

If I'm correct you almost always want button tops and when it comes to protected or unprotected, protected is best if you are going to use a flashlight with multiple batteries and unprotected is fine if you are using a single battery flashlight, is that correct?

Here's a pic of my current charger; it seems like this isn't a safe charger. Is that correct? Should I stop using it? I haven't had any problems in 6 years with it.

My current charger and batteries I'm using:

My AW battery:

I know that there is a lot to learn about batteries and chargers but right now I'm so swamped I just want to learn what's the best, reliable, charger that will fit my needs.

Thanks!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your budget for a charger?

Xtar and NiteCore make well regarded chargers. I just got the Xtar 5v USB VC4 4 slot li-ion/NiMH charger in yesterday and I'm now playing with it.

I like the Xtar VP2 for li-ions and I have a NiteCore i4 v.2 4 slot charger, that is also does both chemistries. NiteCore also makes the newish D4 4 slot charger, so look into that.

AW and UltraFire should never be used in the same sentence. Personally, I wouldn't use that UltraFire charger, but that's just me.

Buy yourself a decent digital multimeter to check voltages off the charger and out of the lights.

Whether you use button tops, or not, depends on your light. If you have springs at both ends for each battery, you can forego the BTs. If you don't have a spring at the positive end of the battery compartment(s,) then you will probably need BTs.

My SupFire M6 needs BTs to make contact, so I bought them, but most of my other 18650 lights, have springs.

Chris

HEDP

Enlightened
What is your budget for a charger?

Xtar and NiteCore make well regarded chargers. I just got the Xtar 5v USB VC4 4 slot li-ion/NiMH charger in yesterday and I'm now playing with it.

I like the Xtar VP2 for li-ions and I have a NiteCore i4 v.2 4 slot charger, that is also does both chemistries. NiteCore also makes the newish D4 4 slot charger, so look into that.

AW and UltraFire should never be used in the same sentence. Personally, I wouldn't use that UltraFire charger, but that's just me.

Buy yourself a decent digital multimeter to check voltages off the charger and out of the lights.

Whether you use button tops, or not, depends on your light. If you have springs at both ends for each battery, you can forego the BTs. If you don't have a spring at the positive end of the battery compartment(s,) then you will probably need BTs.

My SupFire M6 needs BTs to make contact, so I bought them, but most of my other 18650 lights, have springs.

Chris

The batteries have springs or the light? I see most lights have a spring on the end cap.

Where do you buy your stuff?

gclyn

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend the Thrunite MCC-4...it goes for about $29.95 and has a 500mA charge for all 4 ports at the same time.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The batteries have springs or the light? I see most lights have a spring on the end cap.

Where do you buy your stuff?

Logically, the light, or light's battery carrier, if it has one. Spring contacts on the positive end = no button tops.

I've done my last three deals with Mountain Electronics and Xtar Direct. I also like Ebay.

Chris