New 970 Lumen Coast HP17 Aspheric light

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will post beam shots later tonight but just wanted to get this thread started. The Coast HP550 is a serious light. Now it seems to have been out done by the new 970 lumen XP-L HP17. Thing I find fascinating about the light is that the focusing lens is so thick on the new HP17 its gone full aspheric. Hot spot is perfectly square lol. Hey it does indeed throw extremely well. Will post shots later.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off this is a BIG darn light! In the second pic one can see the XP-L magnified through the lights very thick focusing lens.
WIN_20150711_145309_zpsjuwrdwtb.jpg
WIN_20150711_145320_zpssobtxng5.jpg

beam shots tonight as long as it does not rain

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HP17 is so big and heavy I could only keep it attached to its tripod for one good shot the rest were awful. Here I am hoping it comes across that the hot spot is square.

Must add that the light is FAR brighter in person.
IMG_01551_zpss8eabtij.jpg

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
am going to try to add a couple more beam shots as the new HP17 is a light bazooka. Gonna have to triple bungee tie it to its tripod to get it to stay though

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Already a China knockoff of it, I have one by "Utilitech." :(

Betting the Coast is better across the board.

Edit: not exactly the same on the host, but the way the optics are and over all size and properties.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
479 meter throw. I believe I got the same 3 D cell supposed 1000 lumen Utilitech. The Utilitech is garbage with the sloppiest build quality Ive ever seen. Id say its a 500 lumen light at best. The ring you turn to go from throw to flood is pretty lame. Yes either Coast HP550 or the new HP17 are indeed better across the board.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
479 meter throw. I believe I got the same 3 D cell supposed 1000 lumen Utilitech. The Utilitech is garbage with the sloppiest build quality Ive ever seen. Id say its a 500 lumen light at best. The ring you turn to go from throw to flood is pretty lame. Yes either Coast HP550 or the new HP17 are indeed better across the board.
CC you know the follow up question is coming to that right?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol what is that WarRaven? Pics of the Utilitech? Doing what I can for beam shots. The HP17 is going to need to be double tied to my tripod for more shots. The Utilitech is also almost as big as the HP17. If you need a big powerful variable focus light either the HP550 with its old school XM-L or the XP-L HP17 (as long as you can deal with the square hot spot) will more than fit the bill. Both Coasts have flood beams so wide I cannot get it all into camera frame. I am trying to get used to the square hot spot out the HP17 but am having a hard time with it it just doesnt look "right"

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol what is that WarRaven? Pics of the Utilitech? Doing what I can for beam shots. The HP17 is going to need to be double tied to my tripod for more shots. The Utilitech is also almost as big as the HP17. If you need a big powerful variable focus light either the HP550 with its old school XM-L or the XP-L HP17 (as long as you can deal with the square hot spot) will more than fit the bill. Both Coasts have flood beams so wide I cannot get it all into camera frame. I am trying to get used to the square hot spot out the HP17 but am having a hard time with it it just doesnt look "right"
Post 7.
You know there's going to be a follow up to that. ☺

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
479 meters of throw? Idk the math to translate that into candela. Did at one point but forgot it. The longest shot I can get is just under 70 yards in my back yard. Will try for one tonight. The flood beam is just so wide its near impossible to get it all in frame with the room I have to work with.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
479 meters of throw? Idk the math to translate that into candela. Did at one point but forgot it. The longest shot I can get is just under 70 yards in my back yard. Will try for one tonight. The flood beam is just so wide its near impossible to get it all in frame with the room I have to work with.
I'm just heckling you brother before someone else does ☺

You've a very nice yard for beam shots, might not have the distance, but looking forward to your Potomac adventures in pictures. +1

I'm guessing around, little tipsy sorry, though 50-75kcd?
Before being modded as the question will come.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
take the dome off the HP17 and your looking at a variable focus Javelot with a still square hot spot. I tried taking the M3X out along the river a few days ago. My cheap little 16x zoom Canon just cannot zoom in far enough to get a solid photo of the M3X lighting up the Maryland side. Got lots of pics of boats and buoys pretty close to the Md side but my little Canon just doesnt have the zoom. Ended up getting hassled by Alexandria PD who thought I was casing the million dollar town houses close by despite my light and camera clearly being pointed out over the water. Young cops like pretty fresh rookies. Didnt believe me at first but just said "look" and pointed the M3X out over the water and turned it on. The 3 Alexandria cops were literally speechless for a full minute. I am trying to borrow a bigger digital camera from a friend of mine to get the cross river shots done. His is a DSLR I believe with well over 20x zoom...

There are countless perfect places for prime beam shots along the river. To bad its all parks that are closed at dark or are private property. Im sure Ill go south along the river to the next county where the cops are lazy

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
take the dome off the HP17 and your looking at a variable focus Javelot with a still square hot spot. I tried taking the M3X out along the river a few days ago. My cheap little 16x zoom Canon just cannot zoom in far enough to get a solid photo of the M3X lighting up the Maryland side. Got lots of pics of boats and buoys pretty close to the Md side but my little Canon just doesnt have the zoom. Ended up getting hassled by Alexandria PD who thought I was casing the million dollar town houses close by despite my light and camera clearly being pointed out over the water. Young cops like pretty fresh rookies. Didnt believe me at first but just said "look" and pointed the M3X out over the water and turned it on. The 3 Alexandria cops were literally speechless for a full minute. I am trying to borrow a bigger digital camera from a friend of mine to get the cross river shots done. His is a DSLR I believe with well over 20x zoom...
Have to say it, I'm amped up for you to pull that set up off.
Sorry to derail thread guys.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im amped as well. My little Canon just doesnt focus at that far a range. Fairfax PD also patrols the river. Itd be funny to have a police boat float up on me asking me what I was doing lol. Was able to light up the underside of the Woodrow Wilson bridge pretty well which is amazing considering the light pollution around it. Id love to get a Vinh super duper laser thrower but I like my factory warranties even more. Thought I read awhile back about there being a TK61 upgrade in the works. Pretty sure itd be a Fenix tuned XP-L HI and likely pull 400k candela. Time will tell. Im pretty confident the upcoming 2015 TK75 will go triple XP-L V5 and have up to 50k more throw...I do wonder if Vinh would dedome my HP17. Thatd be one intense square hot spot

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im amped as well. My little Canon just doesnt focus at that far a range. Fairfax PD also patrols the river. Itd be funny to have a police boat float up on me asking me what I was doing lol. Was able to light up the underside of the Woodrow Wilson bridge pretty well which is amazing considering the light pollution around it. Id love to get a Vinh super duper laser thrower but I like my factory warranties even more. Thought I read awhile back about there being a TK61 upgrade in the works. Pretty sure itd be a Fenix tuned XP-L HI and likely pull 400k candela. Time will tell. Im pretty confident the upcoming 2015 TK75 will go triple XP-L V5 and have up to 50k more throw...I do wonder if Vinh would dedome my HP17. Thatd be one intense square hot spot
That might be dangerous to human tissue at close range never mind the old retinas if Vinh cleaned that dome off, with his magic touch. Neat idea.
Though it'd still be a workout to carry that pipe, multi purpose I guess. 👍

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is indeed a beast of a light and an easy blunt weapon to be sure. Here are a couple more pics I took tonight. The last pic is with the light at full flood.
IMG_0168_zpsgb2kauul.jpg
IMG_0169_zpsie9s6rcx.jpg