$40-$50 AA and AAA designed LED flashlights

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello

It's been years since my last post. Been out of the flashlight modding scene for many years now. I would like to give some nicely designed flashlights to some key work clients. What woud you recommend?

Requirements:
1. AA or AAA
2. Single or double celled
3. Twisty or clicky
4. Anodised finish with colour options
5. As much output as possible
6. Lighting modes with simple interface
7. $40-$50

Thanks
HB

AB8XL

Enlightened
I suggest the EagleTac D25A Clicky, no anodized color options but the best AA light money can buy, you have a few different LED's to choose from.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to give some nicely designed flashlights to some key work clients.

non clicky, stainless (class act for a gift):
in aaa Thrunite TiS Stainless Steel with NW led if you want a sublumen low and pocket clip (avoid the Titanium version, threads are really gritty, tint is really greenish)
or Fenix E05 2014 model, also in Stainless, if you dont mind the very cool bluish tint, dont want a pocket clip, and dont need less than 8 lumen low (possibly more suitable for non flashoholics)

clicky, aluminum (functional, but not elegant)
in AA this thread has some Great Info Newbie with a Single Cell AA question
the two most discussed in that thread are the Fenix E12 and L3 Illumination L11C.. The Fenix does not go below 8 lumens and is 40% heavier than the L11C with is available in High CRI N219b and 4 modes, of which 2 are lower levels than the Fenix

honorable mention to the Prometheus Beta in Nickel, just 2 modes, unique quick release

none of the above use PWM

aaa non clicky: copper or brass (tarnishes quickly, less attractive for non flashaholic gift imo)
if you tolerate PWM, and want aaa in copper or brass: Maratac, or Prometheus Beta (3 mode lights, the Betas use N219a with a wonderful warm high CRI led.. Maratac is low CRI but brighter)

Last edited:

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Yoyo and Jon. I'll check each one of the recommended ones.

Any more to choose from all?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anodised finish with colour options… Any more to choose from all?

missed that colored anodized comment at first… The Olight i3s has very nice color options imo..

I list a dozen aaa options in the last link in my sig, but the Olight has possibly the smoothest threads of any of them. And it starts on Medium, which is very newbie friendly.. plus it has a .5 lumen low, that I find really useful.. imo the Olight i3s modes are among the most practical of the tripple mode twisty lights with no PWM.

Olights make a great gift, they include pocket clips plus keychain clips.. their only flaw is the connector to the body is fragile and tends to come open.. that and they are not available in N219 :)

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey op, might check out CPF'er Fivemega. He's got customs pretty close to what you're asking for.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon... I have a few of the i3s from 2 years ago. It is OK but could be better. I think the 47's Preons are more elegant.
More... thanks for the 5mega suggestion

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
...but if you get a PWM p60 module, then you can get one WITHOUT pwm and put it in a swank custom anodized host... :thinking: