my several USA made flashlights - HDS, McGizmo, Surefire, ElZetta, Peak, Malkoff, Arc

rickyro

Enlightened
HDS: Rotary 170 Nichia 219B, Tactical 170 XP-G2
McGizmo: Haiku AA XP-G2
Surefire: EB1
ElZetta: Bravo AVS Oveready bored 18650
Peak LED: Eiger Brass 219, Eiger SS head AL body 219, Eiger SS mute 219 (all three from Oveready)
Malkoff: MD2 turnkey, MDC 2AA turnkey
ARC: AAA L.E.
5609_1436990255.jpg

My flashlight hobby started long time ago. My first USA made flashlight should be a ARC AAA limited edition. That was what I can afford at that time. This little light impresses me a lot, not because of the beam quality, but due to its elegant design and especially the durability. It stands in my key ring for more than 6 or 7 seven years and it still works well. I bought several Jetbeam, Nitecore flashlights since then and they were used in very comfortable environments, just bedsides, and they just died some day due to no reason understandable to me. These Chinese made flashlights just died in cozy situation and cannot outlive the ARC AAA jolting everyday in my key ring. I think the problem may comes from the light engine not potted so that the electric parts just fade out and maybe the quality control is not so good.

Then fast forward to 2014, I wanted to get some good flashlight at beside so that I can use to take care of the kid when needed. So I began to surf in some Chinese forums and got to know Zebralight first besides those 'famous' Chinese local brands (Fenix, Nitecore, Jetbeam....). I liked SC52 very much at first sight. I like the design and side switch. So I buy several Zebralight (SC52w, SC600II, SC62d, H52w, H502w), but I found they not so sweet as they appears. First is with the UI, default on high is not good for bedside use. Second is with the tint. None is good, only SC62d is OK, but still not so good. Third is with the quality. H52w's switch was broken just a few days after arrival. And the switches all have different feedback, some hard, some soft. Only the SC62d is the one I think deserve to be kept, not for bedside, but for everyday use.

After more surfing, I got to know CRI, Nichia 219, HDS, Mcgizmo, Peak, Malkoff, ElZetta. I learned a lot from CPF, from everyday commentary, from flashlight guide. So finally I pulled the trigger for one HDS Nichia 219B 170 from HDS directly just before they raised the price last year.

You can imagine the excitement when I got Rotary 170n. So nice tint, so robust quality, so intuitive UI. I liked and like it so much after the fist day I got it.

But wait, I found some dark ring when white wall hunting. So I reported in the famous HDS long long post. But my report was defined as complaints, nick-picking, whining, and finally trolling. I was a little bit shocked in the beginning. I met this kind of attack in some Chinese forums when I reported on some cameras, but this is CPF, this is high civilized English speaking community:) Still only pros, not cons can be reported here? But after some thinking, I was quite released. It is a business, even Henry may not reject to hear the truthful reports, but many people are making living around his products, and many other people are so proud of USA made products. So how can they allow a Chinese to 'attack' their so loved person and products? So I just gave up on disputing and move on with enjoying my HSD Rotary.

Then I got another HDS clicky from one European web shop due to the great discount. I found the XP-G2 tint very appealing.

For the key chain upgrade, I found Peak Eiger Oveready 219 version (SS head + AL body) based on everyday commentary's recommendation. A real perfect key chain light. I cannot complain more except the ugly knurling and a few machining flaws at the lug.

Two HDS work as perfect beside lights, especially the Rotary. But then this year I want something I can carry to field since the kid is growing up, maybe camping or night hiking. CR123 battery is too few in capacity. Rotary with 18680 tube adds up to more than 400USD and I don't want to risk it in the field and I think the rotary tail is also weak for harsh situations. So I want some robust lights using 18650 and AA batteries.

I read flashlight guide 2014 recommendations many times. And then I pull trigger on ElZetta Bravo AVS Oveready version. Again Oveready impressed me with their delivery service and their good taste of product. They pick some models from the real manufacturers and perform some refinements. I really would like to buy more from Oveready in the future.

I also got MD2 and MDC 2AA turnkey from Malkoff. MDC 1AA was long time acclaimed as a poor man McGizmo, but I just dislike its no reverse polarity protection.

And I finally send a mail to Don for the holy grail of flashlight - a McGizmo Haiku. I hate 123 battery, so I choose AA. I wanted to choose Nichia 119V, but Don recommended XP-G2 4500K instead. When I got this light, I was totally impressed. The beam, the tint, the quality, the design. Everything is perfect! Only the 1/4 20 hole is a little ugly, but it is a perfect position to put on a small key chain and attach some clip on. And the low is not low enough for me. I hope it can be around 3~5 lumen.

But I found more problems with my two malkoff. First both are solid lights, much robust than Chinese ones, and I like them. However
a. I met flickering issue with high/low switch of MD2, which is annoying but quite OK in everyday use.
b. The problem with MDC 2AA is even more serious. The three notches in the bezel will be projected in the perimeter of the beam! And they are very annoying and distracting in normal everyday use to my eyes. I can see them every time no matter what object I am pointing the light to.
c. And the bodies are too slippy. I just don't understand why Malkoff is not adding some cross section ridges to improve the grip, just like ElZetta and Mcgizmo are doing with their bodies.
d. And the tints are totally different from the two lights even they are both listed as XP-G2. MD2 is a little grean, MDC 2AA is a little purple.
e. And the 300 lumen of MD2 is not so bright as 250 lumen of MDC 2AA
All in all, even after these 'complaints' and 'whining' and 'trolling', I still find that I like these two lights (but not the MDC 2AA head). I ordered one Ti clip from Prometheus so that the grip and carry of MD2 can be improved. I also want to try that Surefire like lanyard from Oveready. And I pair MD2 2AA body with EB1 head, finding they working perfectly, resulting a very good 200 lumen E2L 2AA outdoorman.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading through your post, I am kind of a little confused about the exact point that you are bringing across but I am presuming that you are sharing your experiences with all of us on US made lights?

What you have is a fantastic collection and I think you should not worry too much about loosing your HDS. Just use it and enjoy it. What is the point of buying all these stuff when you are not bringing them out? Camping and trekking are the reasons why I am investing in all these expensive lights. I want the best built quality possible to withstand the rigors of outdoors usage. Technically speaking, any well designed and well made flashlight should survive a camping trip, regardless of the country of manufacture. I understand when you mentioned about Chinese made lights failing you even when it is hardly used and I have a few that did just that, but do bare in mind that I have had many US made lights that has failed me too. Surefire, HDS, even McGizmo. The truth be told, as long as it is man made, anything can and will spoil. Always carry spares. Of course the question here would be if you are feeling rich enough to carry expensive lights as spares, or cheaper lights? I guess this is another discussion entirely and it is up to individual opinion.

I believe the reason why you are facing flickering issues with the bored Elzetta Bravo AVS is due to the battery length of your 18650 battery if you are using one. The battery length may not be right or maybe the voltage may not be enough to work flawlessly on the lower output. I have a Malkoff MD2 with the Hi/Lo ring working on the same principal as the Elzetta, and I do have frequent issues with flickers when running 18650 battery. I believe we are facing the same issue here. My stock Elzetta AVS Bravo with Hi/Lo switch running CR123 works perfectly. Also, I am amazed at the efficiency of the AVS head. A fresh set of batteries seems to last me forever. Of course, my usage is primarily on low mainly with high reserved for when I need to see more.

I hope you enjoy your collection more, and please, don't spend big money on something fantastic just to leave them at home. Bring it out on your camping trips and enjoy the beauty.

rickyro

Enlightened
After reading through your post, I am kind of a little confused about the exact point that you are bringing across but I am presuming that you are sharing your experiences with all of us on US made lights?

What you have is a fantastic collection and I think you should not worry too much about loosing your HDS. Just use it and enjoy it. What is the point of buying all these stuff when you are not bringing them out? Camping and trekking are the reasons why I am investing in all these expensive lights. I want the best built quality possible to withstand the rigors of outdoors usage. Technically speaking, any well designed and well made flashlight should survive a camping trip, regardless of the country of manufacture. I understand when you mentioned about Chinese made lights failing you even when it is hardly used and I have a few that did just that, but do bare in mind that I have had many US made lights that has failed me too. Surefire, HDS, even McGizmo. The truth be told, as long as it is man made, anything can and will spoil. Always carry spares. Of course the question here would be if you are feeling rich enough to carry expensive lights as spares, or cheaper lights? I guess this is another discussion entirely and it is up to individual opinion.

I believe the reason why you are facing flickering issues with the bored Elzetta Bravo AVS is due to the battery length of your 18650 battery if you are using one. The battery length may not be right or maybe the voltage may not be enough to work flawlessly on the lower output. I have a Malkoff MD2 with the Hi/Lo ring working on the same principal as the Elzetta, and I do have frequent issues with flickers when running 18650 battery. I believe we are facing the same issue here. My stock Elzetta AVS Bravo with Hi/Lo switch running CR123 works perfectly. Also, I am amazed at the efficiency of the AVS head. A fresh set of batteries seems to last me forever. Of course, my usage is primarily on low mainly with high reserved for when I need to see more.

I hope you enjoy your collection more, and please, don't spend big money on something fantastic just to leave them at home. Bring it out on your camping trips and enjoy the beauty.

Thank you pjandyho. I read a lot of your post and I respect your options and comments there and here too.

I have no issue at all with ElZetta AVS Bravo! The flickering issue happens to my MD2 high/low head switch, just like yours. So you see, here is the problem. Also several other flashaholic reported the same problem in Malkoff's post. But since I bring all these findings all together, then I was labeled as a troll there.

So since the Malkoff lovers reject me to post my observations on Malkoff lights in their post, I have to do it in my own post. But I don't want my post to be shallow with only comments on Malkoff, so I put my observations on other USA made lights together.

Your two critique points are very instructive.
1. The USA made lights may also fail. I understand this for sure. I just expect them to be more durable and more reliable due to potted light engine (but Mcgizmo seems not doing this leaving more space with self customization) and more attention to the design and material so that the light is more robust.
2. Invest for use, not collection. Yes, I am bringing the lights to the field. But not HDS since I have some problem with safely carrying it and it is too expensive for me to afford losing it. But Bravo AVS, MD2, MDC, I will be very happy to bring them to the field.

Also I write this post as a short summary of what I learned in my little flashaholic and would like to share it.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
rickyro, I sympathize with your opinions. When paying a good chunk of money for a light, it's natural to have high expectations.

Keep in mind that even high end lights are hand-assembled if not hand-made.
As such, there might be noticeable imprecisions and imperfections.

Also keep in mind that fabricators are doing this for money. They run a business. ROUTINELY going beyond what is profitable to produce "perfect" samples is not good business, unless they are in it strictly for the passion or art and science of flashlight making.

When you have an unfavorable opinion and you're in the minority, and you're not an authority on the subject, and you persistently vocalize your opinion, you will not be well received; you will not be well liked, regardless of where you're from and to whom you vocalize your opinion. That's true on this forum and probably everywhere else, except where unfavorable opinions are valued more than favorable opinions.

I can't comment on you past exchanges with forum members, but I have several comments regarding your recent exchange with forum members about the notches in the beam of the Malkoff MDC. I don't own the light; I have only seen pictures of it.

1. Like others have said Malkoff lights are designed for hard use. As such, function and reliability are key and the selling points, not the contours of the beam.
  2. The notches in the bezel ring that creates the notches in the spill beam are functional: they are needed for tightening the bezel.
  3. The effect of the notches on the beam is not mentioned on the website because it does not compromise the Malkoff design philosophy and design intent for the light. If it did, it wouldn't be on sale in the first place. The man is making the AK47s of flashlights, not the ARs of flashlight, so don't expect AR-esque tight tolerances and precision (perfection), but do expect that it will take abuse and still turn on bright the first time, every time.

If I had to complain about the bezel, I wish it protected the top of the head.

Expressing yourself, whether through writing or speaking is a skill and an art. I'm not good at it myself. The more unpopular your opinion, the more skills it takes to express it in a way that will be accepted by and make a lasting impression on listeners and readers. You have to be more cunning about it. I wish I could be a straight shooter with no restraint but it wouldn't go over well if I were.

Last edited:

rickyro

Enlightened
rickyro, I sympathize with your opinions. When paying a good chunk of money for a light, it's natural to have high expectations.

Keep in mind that even high end lights are hand-assembled if not hand-made.
As such, there might be noticeable imprecisions and imperfections.

Also keep in mind that fabricators are doing this for money. They run a business. ROUTINELY going beyond what is profitable to produce "perfect" samples is not good business, unless they are in it strictly for the passion or art and science of flashlight making.

When you have an unfavorable opinion and you're in the minority, and you're not an authority on the subject, and you persistently vocalize your opinion, you will not be well received; you will not be well liked, regardless of where you're from and to whom you vocalize your opinion. That's true on this forum and probably everywhere else, except where unfavorable opinions are valued more than favorable opinions.

I can't comment on you past exchanges with forum members, but I have several comments regarding your recent exchange with forum members about the notches in the beam of the Malkoff MDC. I don't own the light; I have only seen pictures of it.

1. Like others have said Malkoff lights are designed for hard use. As such, function and reliability are key and the selling points, not the contours of the beam.
  2. The notches in the bezel ring that creates the notches in the spill beam are functional: they are needed for tightening the bezel.
  3. The effect of the notches on the beam is not mentioned on the website because it does not compromise the Malkoff design philosophy and design intent for the light. If it did, it wouldn't be on sale in the first place. The man is making the AK47s of flashlights, not the ARs of flashlight, so don't expect AR-esque tight tolerances and precision (perfection), but do expect that it will take abuse and still turn on bright the first time, every time.

If I had to complain about the bezel, I wish it protected the top of the head.

Expressing yourself, whether through writing or speaking is a skill and an art. I'm not good at it myself. The more unpopular your opinion, the more skills it takes to express it in a way that will be accepted by and make a lasting impression on listeners and readers. You have to be more cunning about it. I wish I could be a straight shooter with no restraint but it wouldn't go over well if I were.

Thanks for your long reply. It is very constructive.

Maybe the next version of Malkoff MDC will improve their design not having those three notches. Then for sure nobody will remember that somebody was claimed as troll for bringing it out here in CPF. But then I will be happy to buy one piece of the new evolved version.

I totally understand that we should be tolerate with the products and I do show this in my opinions on HDD Rotary 170n anf Peak Eiger. Eigers are normally ugly with quitr a part of their knurlings and many machining defects exit around lug. But the beam is so perfect from that small TIR optic. Then I cannot complain.

But those notches are 'horribly' there just so distracting I just don't understand why the design of M61 dropin cannot be copied here.

Here in CPF, one pathetic phenomenon is that some acclaimed names as HDS and Malkoff are almost untouchable. When you point out some flaws, you have to say it in this way:
It has three notches, but it works perfect for me.
It has dark rings, but it will not be noticed except in white wll hunting.

I have to say, the second point is true for me with HDS 170n, but the first point is sadly not and I just cannot manage enought communication skill or art to say so.

Last edited:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, will it make you feel better if I tell you that HDS and Malkoff are the worst flashlights known to mankind? I can't stand the beams they throw, and the notches and dark rings make it impossible to use them, because the only true way to test and use a flashlight, is to white wall hunt with them. There, do you feel better now?

I think the problem with your posts, as I see/saw them, is that after you have said your piece, you can't just let it go.

Everyone has their own opinions, as to what makes a good light, and a great light. What works for me, might not work for you. As such, the three notches you speak of, would not bother me a bit, in fact, I never even noticed them before you brought them up.

So yes, some people might think you're trolling (and yes, I think you are).

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read a lot of CPF's posts, and I don't recall rickyro being overly negative or repetitive on flashlights, or trolling. I actually appreciate a critical review far more than the typical sugar-coated CPF post - "I love this flashlight" - which tells me next to nothing. I own HDS/MDC/Peak/ZLs and many others and I do share RR's thoughts on some of them - I'm actually surprised at how many issues he's missed/failed to report on ;).

I noticed the 3 notches on my MDC on day 1 (although I don't recall ever reading about), they don't bother me much but I find it a little distracting. I sure wish someone was a lot more vocal/repetitive on the PWM used on the MDCs which does bother me (for some reason I simply assumed a light in this quality range would be current regulated)... so does the MDC AA's moonlight mode output volatility (by a factor of 4x depending upon temperature of the bezel, or voltage of the battery). Still, despite those issues, I like the MDC, bought a second, and do strongly recommend it to those looking for an indestructible light. I still can't determine if McGizmo is using PWM or CR - too many happy shilling customers.

All that said, I'll admit to being a big troll about exaggerating specsmanship myself :D.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
It can be difficult to remain impartial when one is an ardent, loyal supporter of a brand or a builder.

Through enough interactions with a builder, be it on this forum, over the phone, via emails, or in person, it's natural for one to feel as though one has a "personal" relationship with the builder, that one is a "regular" and an important customer.

A natural consequence of this is that one becomes more forgiving of and willing to overlook the imperfections and even flaws in the builder's creations, and will come to the defense of this builder when his products come under criticism.

When we like something or someone a lot, and someone else comes along and criticizes them, we don't take it well.

Speak highly often of someone or something and others' expectations for them will rise accordingly. When expectations are high, tolerance for failure to meet them will be low.

Last edited:

rickyro

Enlightened
Thank you all for your feedback, no matter negative or positive or neutral. It hurts only that nobody reply my post:). I learned more from your posts.

I believe CPF should be the place, maybe the only place in the web, that can help bring the custom/ some mass production flashlights to a higher and higher level by the constructive and truthful discussions of the flashlights themselves.

I do love my MDC 2AA much more than my Olight S15 2AA. Why? The much more robust body and head (I hate the extension tube design of S15, very loose), the screwed on clip, the better tint and color rendering of XP-G2 compared to XM-L2. Even the UI is not so straightforward and intuitive as McGizmo's (you may next time turn on at a higher level unexpectedly if you stay on that level for short than 2 seconds), but I understand the advantage (you can press and release very quickly, less than 150 ms, to use it as a beacon without changing the light level). But I do wish Gene can do two improvements for his MDC 2AA:
1. change the design of the head to be like that of M61/M31 so that the three notches are not there,
2. make some cross section ridges on the body, like that of McGizmo AA body pak and ElZetta body, to help the operation. It is just too slippy now when I am trying to click the tail button. The current tail-head direction ridges are just for sweat holding or maybe decoration, not helping the grip at all.

And then beside the unique Malkoff UI, please have one version of normal McGizmo UI.

With the above three modifications, how many guys would like to buy this new version of MDC 2AA? For sure i will be one.

Yes, many people says I am trolling by reporting seeing those three notches every time. I understand. I saw many posts here claiming that XM-L2 tint is pure white. Every time I saw this, I will smile and downgrade the credits of that post owner. Maybe he is really insensitive to the details, maybe he is biased due to some other reason. In both situation, this post owner is not trustworthy to me anymore. But I have good corrected eyesight, I love and am practicing photography, and I am very sensitive to the small defects in the light. So I do see those three notches every time and am distracted every time. I will think maybe some weird and unnatural things are happening in those notches in the light perimeter or maybe some irregular objects are there. Then I have to correct myself ah that is just coming from the notches in the bezel. This is very distracting to me. I just cannot focus on the object I am trying to light.

When I change to EB1 head, I feel much much better with the light. The anodize and finish is great, the feel at hand is robust and reliable. Only pity is that each time when I try to change mode, the tube is just too slippy.

Surefire is also doing 2AA now (PMX P3X FURY). This may hint something. IMHO 2AA is the perfect format for a household everyday use flashlight. MDC 2AA is just one step away to be best available 2AA flashlight (poor man's McGizmo 2AA).

Last edited:

rickyro

Enlightened
It can be difficult to remain impartial when one is an ardent, loyal supporter of a brand or a builder.

Through enough interactions with a builder, be it on this forum, over the phone, via emails, or in person, it's natural for one to feel as though one has a "personal" relationship with the builder, that one is a "regular" and an important customer.

A natural consequence of this is that one becomes more forgiving of and willing to overlook the imperfections and even flaws in the builder's creations, and will come to the defense of this builder when his products come under criticism.

When we like something or someone a lot, and someone else comes along and criticizes them, we don't take it well.

Speak highly often of someone or something and others' expectations for them will rise accordingly. When expectations are high, tolerance for failure to meet them will be low.

Great psychological analysis. Thank you!

rickyro

Enlightened
I read a lot of CPF's posts, and I don't recall rickyro being overly negative or repetitive on flashlights, or trolling. I actually appreciate a critical review far more than the typical sugar-coated CPF post - "I love this flashlight" - which tells me next to nothing. I own HDS/MDC/Peak/ZLs and many others and I do share RR's thoughts on some of them - I'm actually surprised at how many issues he's missed/failed to report on ;).

I noticed the 3 notches on my MDC on day 1 (although I don't recall ever reading about), they don't bother me much but I find it a little distracting. I sure wish someone was a lot more vocal/repetitive on the PWM used on the MDCs which does bother me (for some reason I simply assumed a light in this quality range would be current regulated)... so does the MDC AA's moonlight mode output volatility (by a factor of 4x depending upon temperature of the bezel, or voltage of the battery). Still, despite those issues, I like the MDC, bought a second, and do strongly recommend it to those looking for an indestructible light. I still can't determine if McGizmo is using PWM or CR - too many happy shilling customers.

All that said, I'll admit to being a big troll about exaggerating specsmanship myself :D.

Please tell me more about the points I missed :) Maybe by message:)

I just got my McGizmo/ElZetta/Malkoff last week and they all go through none of field test. Please forgive if I found out too few.

HDS and Peak, I have used mine pieces for about one year. I really have no issues with them so far. Rotary's poor anti rolling, I have solved by adding the universal clip, which I think help carry quite less compared to anti rolling. Peak Eiger, I just love the tint and beam of 219 TIR. The anodize is easy to wear out, the knurling is not so regular. But the lighting part I have no issues.

I also have quite a few ZL. SC52w, SC600, H52w, H502w, SC62d. All mark II version. As said in the original post, the biggest problem for me is the switch, almost everyone feels different. H52w's switch was broken just after several operations (too many lights arrived same time, so that was already several days after). I had to send it back for service. SC62d is the last one I got, and I like its switch the best, and also the tint. However ZL does have great design and regulation. I just wish the UI can be more programmable to have option of default low. And the component quality to be more consistent in the future.

Last edited:

rickyro

Enlightened
Wow, will it make you feel better if I tell you that HDS and Malkoff are the worst flashlights known to mankind? I can't stand the beams they throw, and the notches and dark rings make it impossible to use them, because the only true way to test and use a flashlight, is to white wall hunt with them. There, do you feel better now?

I think the problem with your posts, as I see/saw them, is that after you have said your piece, you can't just let it go.

Everyone has their own opinions, as to what makes a good light, and a great light. What works for me, might not work for you. As such, the three notches you speak of, would not bother me a bit, in fact, I never even noticed them before you brought them up.

So yes, some people might think you're trolling (and yes, I think you are).

I am reporting here not to have your sympathy. I am not so weak:). I am reporting to have attention of the designer so that they can improve in the future so that I can have better options in the future to buy. My voice is correct for sure (am I too narcissism:)), but my only voice may be too small for the designer to notice and pay real attention and bother to change. So I have to repeat it several times so that it can be echoed by other flashaholics and then possibly be acknowledged. If finally not (for how long, I don't know, maybe several days, maybe one week), for sure I will move along. I cannot make a living by trolling here, right:)?

I also reported the shipping fee issue for myself. That is purely whining I admit. When Gene replied, I just shut up. But I still wish he can do like other sellers are doing.

I reported the dark ring of HDS Rotary 170n last year. And then I just shut up. Because it is not a real issue for me in everyday use.

I am reporting the 3 notches here just for how long and how many times? Many repetitive reports are just fight back or self defense to those aggressive posts to myself. I am not living in USA, I cannot just call Gene and ask for refund and wait for his new inventions. The shipping fee (50 USD), VAT and customs clearance fee (about 55 USD) added up together I paid for this light is almost the same as the light itself! What can I do to help the other potential buyers in Europe? If they are still going to buy it after reading my post, that is their choice. But I have to share what I understand about this light.

I think the more pitiful thing for Malkoff is that the potential buyers from Europe are still in a situation of not understanding their website and portfolio, not understanding the advantage and disadvantage of their products.

Last edited:

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
I like it when people are critiquing high end products. It's important to know a products flaws before you spend alot of money on it. Alot of people praise McGizmo's and other high end lights for their perfect beams and perfect tints, so it's only fair to be able to complain about not such great beams from expensive lights. The fact that it doesn't bother alot of people is great, but doesn't mean the product shouldn't be improved.
I think rickyro complaints are valid and the way some people attacked him for it is kind of sad.

Amelia

Enlightened
Thanks for the posts!
I also am a little confused by some of your points, not sure I really "get" the main gist of it.

You have some really nice lights. The bias toward U.S. products though is kind of heavy... nothing really wrong with that if they work well for you and if you feel you've received a level of value equivalent to the amount of cash outlay that such an investment represents. Some people just have to have "the best", regardless of cost, which is also fine... but the big mistake often made is to erroneously equate cost with value - very often a lower cost item will provide equal, if not more value to the purchaser. All of this, of course, has nothing to do with nationalistic attitudes toward purchases, which is another topic altogether that I'd rather not get into.

I have quite a few top-end U.S. lights (though no HDS or Malkoff...) and I have not personally found that the increased cost is justified for what the lights offer. However, I'm not military or police, and I don't rely on the perfect functioning of a light to keep me or others alive... I'm just a recreational night hiker who carries good quality lights along with spares in case one fails. For my needs, HDS, Elzetta, Surefire, Etc. are unneccesary overkill, the high-end Chinese lights are more than adequate at 1/4 the cost. For others, maybe not so much... only you can decide.

rickyro

Enlightened
Thanks for your post.

I do have some Chinese made or Chinese brand lights. Such as several Zebralights (I am carrying a SC62d for all my weekend travels), and one Sunwayman C20C (I am using it all time on my bike when riding in the night), and one Klarus Mix6 Ti, and others. Pity with most (maybe all) Chinese flashlights is that they do not provide nichia 219 option, which I love so much.

My major point in this post is actually to submit advice on Malkoff MDC models. I had a fierce dispute with some guys in the Malkoff long post and was labeled as not welcome and a troll there. So I wanted to start my own post and at the same time to list my collections to make my advice more convincing. Quite naive, right?:)

But it does not matter now. After the first moment of excitement or disappointment, we have to go back to our day to day life and to make a living, isn't it?

But I do wish next time if I want to upgrade my flashlights, Malkoff can have better solutions to offer. Or maybe I will just focus on McGizmo, HDS, Peak (for their perfect beam and luxury feeling (McGizmo only) and perfect UI (HDS Rotary only) for indoor everyday use, key chain carry), and combined with Chinese solutions for harsh and outdoor use.

Last edited:

E=mAh²

Newly Enlightened

Just curious, if your still even around here, as to what Mcgizmo model failed on you and what exactly failed on it if you don't mind me asking? Cuz aside from the mcclick switch, which is expected to be replaced eventually and is a very quick, easy, and affordable fix, but aside from that I have never heard of a gizmo failing due to anything other than user error/misuse. Not saying that is the case and I'm sure there have been a few isolated incidents of unexpected failure in the field but I would be willing to bet my entire collection that the number of lights that need to go back to don for repairs is nowhere near the number of returning HDS.. yet they will still remain everyone's number one toted light when asked what they feel is the most durable light available for EDC.. Don's lights and users must just be as humble and modest as he is I guess..🤷🏼

bignc

Enlightened
Profile says "last seen Sept 2021…."

But same/ not read of a failed McG other than as you stated- user error.

Never had an issue with my HDS- but at the time I had decided my wife and daughter needed to be able to use any tools or equipment I had, and they could not figure out the modes consistently lol. So sadly, I sold it. Although I did like it, I probably wouldn't be carrying it a lot as I have fallen for the whole warmer/ neutral Hi CRI thing.