Question re: 2XAA LED Flashlights

Scott2373

Newly Enlightened
Looking for the "best" (I understand that is a very subjective statement) 2XAA LED flashlight to keep in my vehicle. I'll simply compile the results based on the responses I get. All I want is something nice and bright with good battery life. Probably around 300 Lumens if that's possible for a AA flashy. Thanks!

wjv

Enlightened
The Fenix LD22 is a very good light. There are some brighter lights out there, but the LD22 has a nice beam; good mix of throw/spill (over 100 meters throw), and is a high quality (reliable) light. The U/I is also very easy to understand and use.

Lumen / Run-Time (hours:min)
3.......150:00
50.......14:30
105.......6:00
215.......2:30

If you're going to keep this in a vehicle, I would recommend Lithium batteries as they have a long shelf life and won't leak. Keep a spare 4-pack in the glove box and lighting wise, you will be set for anything including the Zombie Apocalypse. . :)

Olight is also a good light (Baton series)
Nitecore makes some good 2xAA lights
The Jetbeam BA series is good
If you don't mind spending the $$ Zebralight and Spark both make great 1xAA lights that out-perform many of the 2xAA lights.
- Spark has a 280 lumen 1xAA light and comes with a flood AND a throw reflector
- Zebralight has a 1xAA light that is over 400 lumens (hits 500 lumens??)

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
If budget is no limit ... probably McGizmo (Haiku), or Malkoff (MDC) .

I think 2x AA tubes are now available for the HDS, too :)

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree. Mods can lock the thread now. :devil:

Others worth mentioning:
SureFire Outdoorsman AA
Nitecore
Sunwayman
Peak LED Night Patrol with AA extension kit

Did you see the classifieds? Check out some of these vendors.

http://www.cpfclassifieds.com

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman D20A Gemini. White/red combo, AAx2 side-by-side. Lowest modes are fairly low but not the "lowest."

Can start in turbo, with step down a couple of minutes after. Weird looking light. I keep mine next to the keyboard just to stare at it. Hold it right and it looks kind of like the barrel and slide of a semiauto pistol. Very unique styling.

Square body, doesn't hurt much to fall on it with it clipped onto your belt. Suggest clipping it to the belt with the light INSIDE the belt for max security.

Throw two Eneloops in there if you will leave it in a car. Cars like to induce alkaline leakage and the Eneloop has better long term properties.

Last edited:

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight ProPolymer 2xAA
The newer 65 lumens with newer C4 led
About $25 shipped
Very tough light
18 hours running with 7 useful lumens at the tail end

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1

For sitting in the truck, the Malkoff MDC 2 X AA monetarily makes the most sense.

Now if your rocking a G Wagon the McGizmo or HDS would look good in the glovebox.

If I was in that tax bracket, I'd go with an MDC 1 X CR123 in the pocket a rotary in the console and a McGizmo in the glovebox. All done in Matte Black Cerakote.

:grin2:

1DaveN

Enlightened
The Fenix E25 is one of my favorite lights. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of momentary, which might get me to step up to the LD22 at some point (but then, the E25 has a little size advantage, so maybe not).

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix E25 is one of my favorite lights. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of momentary, which might get me to step up to the LD22 at some point (but then, the E25 has a little size advantage, so maybe not).

The E25 was also on my mind. Solid low cost solution.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac D25A2. I think it's probably the best 2xAA out there. One of the nicest things about it is the wide variety of emitter choices. Choose an XM-L2, XP-G2, or Nichia 219. The XM-L2 versions are by far some of the brightest 2xAA lights out there. And the neutral XM-L2 is both bright and has one of the best tints you are going to see from an XM-L2. At around $50, they're fairly reasonably priced.

Alternately, there is the aforementioned Zebralight SC5w. At 500 lumens, it is actually brighter than any 2xAA. And it will be more compact. Just remember that this 500 lumens only lasts three minutes. Also, bright 1xAA lights burn through batteries much faster than 2xAA lights (runtime will be about half, as you might expect).

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the D25A2. I have an XML version and love it. The ui and modes are what set it apart for me and make it great. The runtimes on all modes are great and the ability to chose either mode memory or not is wonderful. The Nichia and XPG2 versions are on my purchase list for Black Friday as well.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go E25 for a budget MDC 2 X AA if you got some wiggle room. What is your budget scott?

But hey, I have no hands on with the Eagletacs and they seem to get favorable reviews. For some reason, perhaps unfounded, I carry the impression they aren't the most durable lights.

Car lights take most of their "beating" while not in use, getting jostled around in the glovebox / side door, wide temperature fluctuations.. ect.

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
But hey, I have no hands on with the Eagletacs and they seem to get favorable reviews. For some reason, perhaps unfounded, I carry the impression they aren't the most durable lights.

The other day, I accidentally dropped my D25A2 on a hard tile floor. The the only damage it did to the light itself is crack the lens (Illumination Gear sent a free replacement). You can't even really tell it hot the floor, and the light works fine. Not sure what has damaged other Eagletac lights. Granted, this light probably won't take the kind of beating an MDC can take. But from what I have seen, they are no more susceptible to damage from dropping than any other light out there.

Last edited:

Photon

Newly Enlightened
I know you specifically said 2xAA, but consider the Fenix E41 or LD41. Both 4xAA, with different form factors. You'll get your 300 lumens and then some.

Let us know what you decide.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Budget wise, the thrunite Archer 2A V2 is a good buy. It's on my wish list because of the price. NW version that is.

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Propoly 2xAA
The newer 65 lumens with newer C4 led
About $25 shipped
Very tough light

+1 on this for me. 65 throwy lumens on a very tough lightweight body that won't break the bank, put in a couple or L91 and leave it there until you need it. One or two for each car will handle almost all your needs, 300 lumen requirement notwithstanding.

rickyro

Enlightened

For sure McGizmo Haiku 2AA (around $500) or HDS Rotary 2AA (around $330) if budget is no problem. MG for best finish material and design. HDS Rotary for best UI and functionality. Both have high CRI LED options.

Surefire has E2L 2AA outdoorsman. And PMX P3X 2AA is coming out this year. Both should be around $200. But the tint will not be so good (from my experience of EB1), no high CRI options.

MDC 2AA is much cheaper ($109) but with some critical design flaws. To name a few: 1. notches projected in the light perimeter, 2. too slippy body affecting the tail button operation, 3. UI not so intuitive as MG but may be useful for some persons. Also no high CRI options.

Last edited: