Sunwayman D40C - What Is It Good For? Did I Get Bit By A Light Bug?

dirtykoala

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Sunwayman D40C because it seemed like an awesome light with a great price for being 2000 lumens, but now that I'm playing around with it, I don't really know what I would use it for.

What was the intent of this light? I might just keep it in the truck? House?

2 days ago I bought an Olight M20SX Javelot. A lot of people around here like to drive with their high beams on and don't seem to respond to my high beams so I got the Javelot for the decent throw to help encourage them to turn their high beams off.

I think maybe some sort of light bug bit me and I'm gonna turn into a light nerd. Somewhat worrying, but maybe exciting.

2vnhqjc.jpg

dirtykoala

Newly Enlightened
Also, can I dedome the Sunwayman on my own? Is that a thing? If so, should I do it?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
2000 lumens, yes, that's a fair bit of output. I bought a D40A (1000 lumens), thinking it would make a great outdoor light. Which it would, if I took it with me, but I don't because it's too large for pocket-carry. So, it tends to be an indoor light for lighting up a whole room, or a light for peeking out the window when I hear a sasquatch walking around outside. So, lights don't always end up serving the purpose you intended.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read somewhere in a reviews section the Sunwayman D40C has a large parasitic drain. I don't know if that is true. Is there a way to unscrew the light and lock it out ?

dirtykoala

Newly Enlightened
2000 lumens, yes, that's a fair bit of output. I bought a D40A (1000 lumens), thinking it would make a great outdoor light. Which it would, if I took it with me, but I don't because it's too large for pocket-carry. So, it tends to be an indoor light for lighting up a whole room, or a light for peeking out the window when I hear a sasquatch walking around outside. So, lights don't always end up serving the purpose you intended.

It seems like it will be good for camping, but you're right, maybe a little big.

I read somewhere in a reviews section the Sunwayman D40C has a large parasitic drain. I don't know if that is true. Is there a way to unscrew the light and lock it out ?

Don't even know what that means.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
2 days ago I bought an Olight M20SX Javelot. A lot of people around here like to drive with their high beams on and don't seem to respond to my high beams so I got the Javelot for the decent throw to help encourage them to turn their high beams off.

CPF would not condone the blinding of a driver. Sort of like shining a laser at an airplane. Not good. I personally grin and bear it when drivers do not turn their high beams off.

Bill

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an FYI, years ago I was cruising in my Austin when a large jacked up truck pulled up behind me shining high beams in my eyes. Well, I just happen to have a ONE MILLION Candlepower spot light with me...plugged it into the cigarette lighter and gave him a face full of light. A full out pursuit prevailed with my buddy on the CB trying to get someone to call the police-that didn't happen, but after I spun out the truck and I were face to face about 300' apart, like an old western. All of the sudden a Datsun B210 pulls in between us. Out pops a good friend who basically talks to both of us and we both agree to behave. Turns out he was an off duty cop. According to him, if he is temporarily blinded by a light on purpose, he is authorized to use deadly force. He pulled out a .38 and said "you don't know how close you came". I was more than a little sarcastic in my response and asked if another police officer was driving my car would he have been legally able to respond to the trucks lights with deadly force? My friend stepped in and calmly de-escalated things and we shook hands and went our separate ways. I have never since shown a blinding light in anyone's face. I should point out that I have many friends in law enforcement and always am polite and courteous in my dealings with them-this was an isolated instance when I was a teen and obviously could have handled the situation better.

dirtykoala

Newly Enlightened
CPF would not condone the blinding of a driver. Sort of like shining a laser at an airplane. Not good. I personally grin and bear it when drivers do not turn their high beams off.

Bill

I just said I had the light to help encourage them to turn their high beams off, didn't say exactly what I planned to do with the light. :whistle:

I have super sensitive eyes and it hurts like a bee's itch when people have their high beams on while my eyes have been adjusted to the dark.

Just an FYI, years ago I was cruising in my Austin when a large jacked up truck pulled up behind me shining high beams in my eyes. Well, I just happen to have a ONE MILLION Candlepower spot light with me...plugged it into the cigarette lighter and gave him a face full of light. A full out pursuit prevailed with my buddy on the CB trying to get someone to call the police-that didn't happen, but after I spun out the truck and I were face to face about 300' apart, like an old western. All of the sudden a Datsun B210 pulls in between us. Out pops a good friend who basically talks to both of us and we both agree to behave. Turns out he was an off duty cop. According to him, if he is temporarily blinded by a light on purpose, he is authorized to use deadly force. He pulled out a .38 and said "you don't know how close you came". I was more than a little sarcastic in my response and asked if another police officer was driving my car would he have been legally able to respond to the trucks lights with deadly force? My friend stepped in and calmly de-escalated things and we shook hands and went our separate ways. I have never since shown a blinding light in anyone's face. I should point out that I have many friends in law enforcement and always am polite and courteous in my dealings with them-this was an isolated instance when I was a teen and obviously could have handled the situation better.

I usually just stop, let them pass, then exchange the favor.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast

Parasitic drain is when the batteries energy is used up while the light is not used.
You might put fresh batteries in your light and try to use it months later and find out they are dead because of the drain.
Some flashlights will disconnect the current to run them if they are partially unscrewed or "locked out "
Be careful shining your Javelot at people. Sometimes you find nuts out there like in post #7. Your going to get shot for shining a flashlight at someone ? The nut thought he was authorized ? His boss should have been told.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Parasitic drain is when the batteries energy is used up while the light is not used.
You might put fresh batteries in your light and try to use it months later and find out they are dead because of the drain.
Some flashlights will disconnect the current to run them if they are partially unscrewed or "locked out "

Yes, just partially unscrew the battery compartment to lock out the light and cut all parasitic drain. The parasitic drain is present on all lights with electronic switches, because a slight current is needed to detect button presses. The amount of drain varies quite a bit, depending on the light and manufacturer, but generally amounts to potentially draining batteries in a year to several decades.

Most of my lights have parasitic drain in the 10+ year range. My Sunwayman D40A is not particularly efficient with it's parasitic drain, but still would take over 3 years to drain a fully-charged battery. It's low enough I don't worry about it. If I was planning on storing the light for a few months, I'd slightly twist the tube to lock it out.

My Armytek Prime is the most efficient with parasitic drain, using so little that it would take over 50 years to drain the battery. By which time, both the battery and myself will be dead.

Cordyceps

Newly Enlightened
Rummanaging in your car for a light while blinded and then trying to blind the driver that blinded you doesnt seem like a very safe idea to me. Kind of "an eye for an eye" thing, literally.

Being authorized to use lethal force when blinded is crazyness. But on the other hand, in the US, if someone has a flashlight in one hand, there is a considerable probability that he might have a gun in the other....which you wont see while blinded.

Last edited: