Prometheus Beta QR release 2 is nice

rickyro

Enlightened
I got a Prometheus Beta QR last year, the original version. It is a very nice keychain flash with Nichia 219, so for sure nice tint. But it is just too long and cannot replace my favorite Peak Eiger 219 (Oveready SS head AL body version).

But I found a perfect place for it. The car key chain! When put together with a car key, it looks not so long and the quick release is very useful in a car.

Now due to the reason I wanted to get a titanium clip for MD2, I got to Dark Suck's site again finding out the version 2 is out, which is much shorter and with a new and quite genius quick release design.

To save the shipping cost and also due to the interest in the light itself, I ordered a version 2 together with the ti clip, which arrived today.

The new quick release works well! And the copper version is beautiful to see and benefits with an extra moonlight mode.

I like it very much and really would like to recommend to you all.

5609_1437428571.jpg

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a Prometheus Beta QR last year, the original version. It is a very nice keychain flash with Nichia 219, so for sure nice tint. But it is just too long and cannot replace my favorite Peak Eiger 219 (Oveready SS head AL body version).

But I found a perfect place for it. The car key chain! When put together with a car key, it looks not so long and the quick release is very useful in a car.

Now due to the reason I wanted to get a titanium clip for MD2, I got to Dark Suck's site again finding out the version 2 is out, which is much shorter and with a new and quite genius quick release design.

To save the shipping cost and also due to the interest in the light itself, I ordered a version 2 together with the ti clip, which arrived today.

The new quick release works well! And the copper version is beautiful to see and benefits with an extra moonlight mode.

I like it very much and really would like to recommend to you all.

I've bee intrigued by the Beta QR, any long term users want to chime in on long term keychain durability?

That aside, and all our quibbles. rickyro, you do have a serious flashlight budget.... Malkoff, Mcgizmo, HDS, Beta QR. All with customs and international shipping. You could have probably have bought a boat by now!

You should snap a pick of your collection so we can see it, I would love to see what else you got.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
No issues with my 3 mode copper. Had version 1 from the kickstarter project and got version 2 once it came out. Great little light!

rickyro

Enlightened
I've bee intrigued by the Beta QR, any long term users want to chime in on long term keychain durability?

That aside, and all our quibbles. rickyro, you do have a serious flashlight budget.... Malkoff, Mcgizmo, HDS, Beta QR. All with customs and international shipping. You could have probably have bought a boat by now!

You should snap a pick of your collection so we can see it, I would love to see what else you got.

I used Beta QR version 1 on my car key chain for almost 8 months, quite several bump and knock marks on the anodized AL body, but the QR works very well and never go off accidentally. Even it is seemingly quite loose, but as Jason claimed that actually help make it strong.

Version 2 QR design is a totally different and quite genius IMHO. The clutch is very tight different to version 1 and and I cannot predict how long it will last. But since Jason claim the spring is sourced from USA and is the most expensive component in this light, I have confidence in it. Anyway, the environment for a car key chain flashlight is not so harsh as a normal key chain. So maybe it will last well enough for me.

I do have a small collection of flashlights now, which I know for sure is very humble compared with the real collections of a lot of real flashaholics here, but as you requested here they are:
Mcgizmo:
Haiku AA XP-G2

HDS:
Rotary 170 Nichia219B, Clicky 170 XP-G2

ElZetta:
Bravo AVS Oveready bored 18650

Surefire:
EB1 tactical

Malkoff:
MD2 turnkey Cool white, MDC 2AA cool white

Peak LED:
Eiger brass small optic, Eiger SS head AL body small optic, Eiger SS mule, all 219 Oveready

Prometheus:
Beta QR HA, Beta QR II copper, both 219

Zebralight:
SC62d, SC600 II, SC52w L2, H52w L2, H502w L2

ARC:
AAA LE

Sunwayman:
C20c

Quark:
QB2A, QTA

Fenix:
E05SS

Olight:
S15

Clarus:
Mi X6 Ti

Here is a picture of the USA made ones I posted in another post.

5609_1436990255.jpg

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bought a QRv2, approximately 3 to 4 weeks ago (prior to sending my T1A in for warranty repairs). I wanted a two (lo/hi) mode model, so I went with the HIII Black. I agree, absolutely love this key ring light / perfect length as well. I found, if you unscrew it just enough to turn the light off. You can use the light as a momentary on, by pushing the head into the body of the light. Turn / loosen the head further to lock it out. This light won't win any lumen battles, but IMHO, this isn't what this light is about. Head is nice and snug, but allowing for one hand operation, as well as, it won't unscrew the head off the body.

Pops

Last edited:

rickyro

Enlightened
I've bought a QRv2, approximately 3 to 4 weeks ago (prior to sending my T1A in for warranty repairs). I wanted a two (lo/hi) mode model, so I went with the HIII Black. I agree, absolutely love this key ring light / perfect length as well. I found, if you unscrew it just enough to turn the light off. You can use the light as a momentary on, by pushing the head into the body of the light. Turn / loosen the head further to lock it out. This light won't win any lumen battles, but IMHO, this isn't what this light is about. Head is nice and snug, but allowing for one hand operation, as well as, it won't unscrew the head off the body.

Pops

Totally agree with every points. I have version 1 in HA, and version 2 in copper. And I found the extra moonlight not so useful for my typical using environment for this light - using in and around a car, instead introducing one more unwanted on-off operation when going to the highest mode. I am really drooling at the nickel version. I have never had one with this finish before and would like to try it. And the sliver body color match that of split ring, making it looking more simplified and elegant.

But the extra weight of copper body is also feeling very nice on the hand and this is also my first copper light and I really would like to see how the patina will gradually come out and form a unique style.

Last edited:

Dingle1911

Enlightened
The nickel aluminum is my favorite. I find the light to be very useful but version 1 is slightly big for keychain carry. I just took mine off though after being on there for about 6 months.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn, but that was a fast sale. I'm still using my V1, but as a neck carry since it's a bit too long for keychain duty. The nickel plating has held up excellently against day to day bang ups.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very fresh and new! Mine was like this last week just coming out of the package. But now it already has some patina.

I a curious why you are selling it? Could you give some hints?

It had more patina before I re-polished it with Sunshine Cloth. I Love that light, everything about it speaks quality. Reason for selling is to help pay for other lights :). Im also selling a Maratac Rev3 Copper by Vinh

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
My interest is more arosen now:) which other light are you going to buy? mcgizmo?
Im exploring single AAA lights modified to Very Warm tint, with Very High CRI. For example Thrunite Ti3 modded to 3000K XPG, and Olight i3s modded to 3000K XPL.

rickyro

Enlightened
Im exploring single AAA lights modified to Very Warm tint, with Very High CRI. For example Thrunite Ti3 modded to 3000K XPG, and Olight i3s modded to 3000K XPL.

Very interesting. Jashhash is also coming with a new design with 3000k XM-L2 high CRI. I never have a so low cct lights before. What's the special merits of a light of so low cct? Are they not too yellow?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting. Jashhash is also coming with a new design with 3000k XM-L2 high CRI. I never have a so low cct lights before. What's the special merits of a light of so low cct? Are they not too yellow?

I wanted to experience 3000K firsthand. I like the 3000K XPL very much because it is close to candlelight, and I use the light as an electronic candle and nightlight, mostly on low or medium.

here are 4 single aaa lights I have. left to right, A Thrunite 5700K XPL (actual spectrometer reading), a Maratac with N219b and Ti3 driver by Vinh (dont know the Kelvin), an XPG 3000K with Ti3 driver, and an XPL 3000K with Olight i3s driver. All lights are on Medium, spec for the Ti3 driver is 12 lumen, spec for the Olight driver is 20 lumen, but those specs are for the original LED. Only the light on the left is stock LED, the other 3 are modified to different LED's. I have not measured actual lumens after the swaps.
IMG_8362.JPG

There are tradeoffs. The 3000k lights have less throw and are better suited to night time use with low ambient light at close range. A couple of days ago I found the 5700K XPL worked best to illuminate the motor of my car, while being worked on in daylight.

XPL Leds are larger, and have wider floodier beam profiles. N219 and XPG LEDs are smaller, and have a smaller hotspot.

I found it informative to discover that the 3k XPG is not as amber as the 3K XPL. The N219b is the brightest of the 3 high CRI lights. The XPL on the left is only 70CRI, and it looks noticeably greenish in use. The N219b looks very white to my eyes, much more "blue" than my Prometheus Beta CU with N219a.

So, I now have a range of lights from 3000, 4400, and 5700 Kelvin

here is another image, the middle light is mislabeled, it is N219a, not b.. the third light IS 219b, by far the whitest light of the group (its in the Maratac Im selling). For my needs I prefer the Beta tint, which is the warmer of the three. Both the N219 lights tested at 4400K, even though the middle one definitely Looks less warm than the Beta.
IMG_8138.JPG

uofaengr

Enlightened
I overlooked this light back when I got my copper Maratac due to the price and lesser output, but as I've come to value good tint, I'm a big fan of the Nichia 219. I hate the blue tint of the Maratac and am considering selling it to fund a copper Beta QRv2. Where's the best and cheapest place to buy one?