YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAA- moving tomarrow- panic sets in

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
im move thurs to arizona and i am half packed - panic is setting in. most time is wasted in trying to figure out what i need to take- my 50 lights are packed already so calm down. my bike was mailed yesterday and it will be there on friday. %70 of my wardrobe is prepped for packing and my computer stuff is half packed. if you have any tips to save me time or shortcuts to take i would appriciate it.

and before you ask why im going to az - im moving there because i am going to be Gransee's Lackey. Im not joking.

robk

Enlightened
Where are you moving from? I'd like to retire in Flagstaff or Sedona, but don't know if I can take the heat! Presently in central FL, where the weather is mild all year. Watch out for the scorpions.
Rob

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i can feel your pain! er, panic!
i get so panic-stricken when it comes to moving that i end up changing my mind! *lol*

you should luv AZ tho.. buy an A/C.. hell, buy four.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAA- moving tomarrow- panic set

don't panic.
it does not change a thing, it just makes the inevitable more painful.
hope this helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have just finished moving and the drive was no picnic,but the unpacking is an education if you had anybody but yourself packing up your possessions! I have found computer cables in with food and other items combined in other unimaginable collections. I have been looking for the USB cable for my webcam for two days now.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

Aragorn, I am a mover by trade, for over 10 years now. There are a couple mistakes people make that I see all the time. The first is procrastination. Have all your stuff packed and ready to go the day before the actual move. When you have to pack on moving day, you are more likely to forget something, and it also adds stress. The second, is label all your boxes well. Don't label only on the top of the box, but also on the sides. After all, boxes get stacked, and if the label is only on top, you have to unstack the boxes to see what you packed in each one. Also, make sure your boxes are packed full to the top. This will save space, as well as prevent boxes from caving in when stacked.
As for unpacking, unpack one of your largest boxes first. When it's empty, use it for a receptacle for paper and other packing material that you will be throwing away. Break all other boxes down flat after you unpack each one. It'll save you lots of space on the other end.
Good luck with your move!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Big_Ed has the right idea. Get going on being ready!

Having moved several times the whole household I would make general recomendations.

You know how much stuff you have, the estimator from the moving company will almost always underestimate. Especially if you have stuff packed away. The other BIG thing to underestimate is book shelves. We have a lot of books and they are not just one row to a shelf but are stacked every which way so that they all fit. They can't estimate it that way. GET A BINDING ESTIMATE, or a NOT TO EXCEED estimate. And then be prepared to pay the not to exceed amount. 2 out of 3 moves I got a binding estimate. The middle time the fellow wouldn't give me one and I learned why, because he underestimated our stuff (even after I explained to him about the books and all the problems the last movers had) to the tune of OVER $2,000 dollars!!!! (thats on top of the moving fee already agreed upon) So get a binding estimate. And if they won't give you one, why won't they give you one?

If you don't have a lot of time, or have a family to take care of or something. I also have had VERY good luck letting the movers pack the stuff for us. It adds considerably to the price, but they come in and in one day EVERYTHING is safely packed in boxes. I've never had anything that they packed get broken. A few scratches on furniture and things, but no major problems. It's wonderful to have it be just all done in one day. On the truck the next day and then in your house.

If you know you're moving in a couple of years, start saving for this service now, it's worth every penny! They are able to do this so quickly because they pack by location and not by category /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif When I do it it's almost impossible for me to put everything into one box, I try to organize it. The movers just put whatever they find within reach into the same box. This leads to interesting finds when unpacking, but you just can't do as good or as fast a job yourself.

And, instead of breaking the boxes down, use some of the leftover tape and build a castle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

19.jpg

Thats my daughter in front of my work after our last move /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gadgetnut

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Aragorn said:
im move thurs to arizona and i am half packed - panic is setting in. ....if you have any tips to save me time or shortcuts to take i would appriciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]Start packing way early. Like weeks ahea....oh...nevermind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
just keep in mind.
your new home is YOUR home.
you own it.

instead of adjusting to the new place,
pick up where you left off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif