• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Lamplighter LED keychain lanterns

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

Presenting...

The Lamplighter
(an LED keychain lantern)

Specifications

• Sturdy unibody construction
  • Flame-polished borosilicate window provides superior scratch & impact resistance
  • 610nm orange SMD LED suspended on hair-thin wires offers all the warm glow of a campfire spark captured on your keychain
  • 3 months of 24/7 runtime on 4x SR41 button cells means your Lamplighter will glow all year on $12 worth of batteries
  • O-ring sealed tailcap protects against the elements and allows easy access for quarterly battery changes
  • Professionally machined in a family-run CNC shop in the USA
  • Designed, assembled and tested by one very nitpicky Canadian

Price

• Lamplighter only (no shipping):
    • Brass: $85USD
    • Copper: $90USD
  • Shipping:
    • USA/Canada with tracking & insurance in 7-10 business days: $15
    • Int'l/Overseas without tracking or insurance in 2-3 weeks: $10
    • Int'l/Overseas with tracking & insurance in 6-10 business days: ~$40 (I can get an exact quote once I know your country)
Options

You have a few options to customize your Lamplighter!

• Body Style
    • 2 Windows (on the right): Greater LED visibility; more delicate appearance; greater possibility of damage to Pyrex
    • 3 Windows (on the left): Added 3-dimensional appearance; Pyrex is better protected; harder to see LED
  • Body Material
    • Brass
    • Copper
    • brassandcopper.jpg
:caution: Important Considerations :caution:

• These are not waterproof. Do not shower with them! They are sealed against pocket lint and may withstand some incidental splashing but otherwise avoid water.
  • Don't overtighten the tailcap. You might damage the innards and without knurling you might find it hard to unscrew it again.
  • They're really dim during the daylight hours. I cannot stress this enough. Odds are, people won't see it glowing when you show it off in a bright office. The design goal was to look great at night and last a reasonable timeframe on a set of batteries.
  • The LED suspension wires will be a bit bent on every single one. I try my very best to make them perfectly straight but as with any handmade product some character is unavoidable.
  • They have a piece of Pyrex glass in them. In 5 months of daily carry I've never broken one, but the possibility is there.
  • Open the tailcap slowly so the spring and batteries don't shoot out!

Project Risks

1. The #1 risk is that it will take some time to receive your Lamplighter. I am one person with a full-time day job and this is my after-hours hobby. We also just had our first child and as any parent can tell you, there is no such thing as "free time". These will absolutely be done with concerted effort on my part but if a family/work emergency arises this project will be the first thing to be delayed.
  2. I do not accept prepayment. This is good! It means I will never have your money without you having a Lamplighter in your hot little hand. It also means you have no guaranteed way to secure one.
  3. Your Lamplighter might have slightly bent LED wires, it might have light machining marks, and it might arrive slightly tarnished. As mentioned, these are handmade and some character is to be expected. You can be assured I will try my hardest to make your Lamplighter look great but these are not factory-produced and there aren't enough hours in the day for me to reject pieces due to tiny cosmetic flaws.

FAQ

1. What kind of batteries should I feed my Lamplighter?
    1. You should purchase good-quality SR41/392 batteries. Don't use LR41 batteries as they have shorter runtime and are prone to leak.
  2. Will my Lamplighter tarnish?
    1. Yes. The metal is unlacquered and your Lamplighter will pick up a nice patina over time as it rides around in your pocket. A bit of Brasso or metal polish should bring it back to shiny new condition in no time. Be careful around the window while polishing.
  3. I want one! What now?
    1. Decide on your body style (2 or 3 windows). Decide on your material (copper or brass). Post in this thread or send me a PM. I will add you to the interest list and let you know when it's ready.

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interest List

I am having the Lamplighters machined in small batches (runs). Each run will then be assembled, tested, offered for sale and shipped to people on this list. I will regularly update the progress of each run here so you can keep track of how close to completion we are.

If you're interested in a Lamplighter please read the first post in this thread (particularly the Risks and Important Considerations sections). Then come back and post:

• How many you're interested in
  • Body material of each
  • Body style of each

Any questions? Just post them here or send me a PM!

Run #1 (CLOSED)

This interest list will be finalized and the order sent to the machine shop on: AUGUST 1, 2015

Individual
Item #
Body Style
Body Material
Status
sassaquin13 windowsCopper2015-10-02: shipped
mcmc12 windowsBrass2015-10-01: shipped
cnjl313 windowsCopper2015-10-01: shipped
Icarus13 windowsBrass2015-10-05: shipped
Neg2LED13 windowsCopper2015-10-11: shipped
mk2rocco13 windowsCopper2015-10-16: shipped
magellan13 windowsBrass2015-10-13: shipped
saypat13 windowsBrass2015-10-11: shipped
monanza13 windowsBrass2015-10-26: shipped
monanza13 windowsCopper (l)2015-10-26: shipped
Thud102312 windowsBrass2015-10-26: shipped
Light1113 windowsBrass2015-10-26: shipped
hombreluhrs13 windowsBrass2015-11-02: shipped
jonwkng13 windowsBrass2015-11-02: shipped
jonwkng13 windowsCopper2015-11-02: shipped
jmayot13 windowsBrass2015-11-10: shipped
jmayot13 windowsCopper2015-11-10: shipped
hockne13 windowsCopper2015-11-21: shipped
Uriah13 windowsCopper2015-11-10: shipped
Str8stroke13 windowsCopper2015-12-08: shipped
TnC_Products13 windowsCopper2015-12-02: shipped
didi_160613 windowsBrass2015-12-02: shipped
jso90213 windowsBrass2015-12-04: shipped
h and k man13 windowsCopper2015-11-30: PM sent
TECENG13 windowsCopper2015-12-07: shipped
blackbalsam13 windowsBrass2015-12-07: shipped

Run #1 Build Status

[100%] Scoring and snapping Pyrex
[100%] Cleaning Pyrex
[100%] Flame polishing Pyrex
[100%] Machining brass battery contacts
[100%] Machining Delrin wire guides
[100%] Drilling Delrin wire guides
[100%] Assembling PCBs

Run #2 (INTEREST LIST)

This is an interest list for a possible second run of Lamplighters.

Individual
Item #
Body Style
Body Material
Status
ThornUnicorn23 windowsBrass
ThornUnicorn13 windowsCopper
tanasit13 windowsCopper
tanasit12 windowsBrass
greatabpe12 windowsBrass
YummyBacon!13 windowsCopper
AndrwTNT13 windowsBrass
AndrwTNT13 windowsCopper
Thud102322 windowsBrass
GötterDamnerung13 windowsCopper
monanza13 windowsBrass (l)
monanza13 windowsCopper
caseyse23 windowsBrass
Bert Reynolds13 windowsCopper
3Cylinders22 windowsBrass
Espionage Studio13 windowsCopper
AustinWolv1??
og4413 windowsCopper
Genna2??
Zandar1??
egginator123 windowsCopper
egginator123 windowsBrass
mk2rocco12 windows Copper

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike, I'm so happy for you that the Lamlighter has made it to this stage and more people will get to experience it!

I'm still waiting to get my #006 that's held up in US customs and have looked into stocking up on LR41's, but I can't find them locally!

Will titanium eventually be an option if Chris is doing the machining work?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interest list has been updated. For anyone new to the project, welcome aboard! It's been a long road to get to this point and I'm very happy to have you!

Mike, I'm so happy for you that the Lamlighter has made it to this stage and more people will get to experience it!
I'm still waiting to get my #006 that's held up in US customs and have looked into stocking up on LR41's, but I can't find them locally!
Will titanium eventually be an option if Chris is doing the machining work?

Thanks KuanR, I'm pretty excited to be putting this run together! Right now I have no plans for a titanium one. I sent you a PM about #006.

Titanium Spyglass, please ... [emoji317]

Uh huh, I shoulda known you'd ask that. :nana: I'm only one man arch! Let's do this one project update a time shall we? (driver v2 update coming soon)

magellan

Honorary Aussie
In for one brass three window lanty.

Now then a Ti edition would also be delicious.

I like the way you think!

Of course we would all be happy to pay a little more for the titanium. :broke:

Last edited:

cnjl3

Enlightened
One copper with three windows for me. Thanks!

P.S.
I do have a question. Does the cap stay on pretty tight? I remember buying a keychain size light that didn't have enough threads and it was a real PITA to reach for your light and discover that the battery and bottom half of the light were just rolling around in my pants pocket. Can you post a pic of the threaded cap with the o-ring?

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have a question. Does the cap stay on pretty tight? I remember buying a keychain size light that didn't have enough threads and it was a real PITA to reach for your light and discover that the battery and bottom half of the light were just rolling around in my pants pocket. Can you post a pic of the threaded cap with the o-ring?

You would likely break the Lamplighter in half before you had the tailcap come off accidentally.
tailcapthreads1.jpg

tailcapthreads2.jpg

These have been pocket-tested by a half-dozen friends and family for almost 6 months, including a couple who drop their keys on an almost daily basis. I wouldn't ask money of anyone unless I was darn sure the design was tested first. :)

cnjl3

Enlightened
Awesome! Thank you for the picture and I am fully satisfied that the cap will stay in place. I guess I need to buy some SR41/392 cells. I eagerly await for your request for payment aka paypal locked and loaded:)