Helo w/project, SF Aviator incandescent

nimdabew

Enlightened
First, this forum is awesome. I have learned more about lights in the last few months just lurking than I have had in the last few years. So I bring this project to you good people in hope that I can take my aging (but still cool) SF Aviator incandescent light and mod it to something a bit more modern.

I am a pilot so I need to have a red light backup in the cockpit, but I would like (not necessary) to have a variable output white LED if possible, or just a cool 50-100 lumen main white light in the center. It needs to be bright enough to illuminate engine compartments and the high tails of aircraft 25-30 feet off the ground, but not so bright I ruin my night vision right before I start the engines.

Is this wishful thinking on my part? Should I just bite the bullet and buy a new aviator led? Or should I just keep rolling with the red filters on my other variable output lights, even though the cool factor and clunkyness of the system is aparent?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like this project would've been the perfect solution to your request. Unfortunately, Calipsoii isn't building any more rings at this time, so the only alternative is the Koala Onion Ring.

I hope this helps.

:welcome:

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what year model A2 you have but:

Lumens factory has a high out incandescent bulb that will give you 120 lumens. It is a nice upgrade. Take the light apart and use some 1000 or 1200 grit paper and sand the Red leds to make them have a smooth output. This helps get rid of the 000 Olympic beam rings. lol
If you upgrade the bulb, I recommend using 3.0 volt RCR123 (rechargeable) cells. Soshine sells some pretty good ones.

Following is a great thread with tons of links.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Thread-Index-Surefire-A2-Aviator-information

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Nimdabew,
Welcome to the forum. If you've got an A2 of any flavor, then you have one of the most unique lights that SF ever put out. It has a full-on cult following, for a good reason.

I use my A2 daily! First, keep it as an incandescent. Filaments have their use, and no better place than within an A2. I've not tried the Lumens Factory upgrade, but I have other upgrades from them and they work as advertised.

I have the Koala ring, and it gives you a great range of primary bulb colors. Of course the first half-press is the (3) LEDs surrounding, and a full press activates the center bulb.

Looks like I don't have a photo of my A2 (which is fine, they all look almost identical), but I have a photo of the A2 head, which shows you the original LED ring that you'd unscrew to pop in the Koala.

A2%20fivemega%20mod.jpg

The bulb assembly is from a forum user here (fivemega) that created these assemblies some time ago. They are unobtanium now, but basically it provides a platform to use easy-to-get Streamlight replaceable bulbs. I think SF stopped making the bulbs for this light.

PS: I agree with S8S, an even sanding really makes a difference in the beam quality of the little LEDs. While you're at it, mix some clear epoxy and some GlowInc Ultra Green V10 (or other colors) glow powder and put a dot on the backside of said LEDs. That way they glow nicely afterwards. It's more fun than practical, but that's the kind of madness you will find here in this forum.

~Daniel

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well if the Aviator road gets you nowhere, there are 2 more options
A white LED light with a removable red filter
or
a modern chinese light (liek Nitecore) with a Red led along the main white one

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
After doing some more thinking, it sounds like a new light might be the best option for you.

If you like the tailcap of the A2, you might like a Surefire EB1-T with a red filter. This would give you low/high modes of white light, and low/high modes of red filtered light. You'd still have to keep up with the filter...

The newer A2L isn't going to do anything for you that the A2 can't, with the exception of a longer running high beam. I owned both the A2 and A2L, and sold the A2L because I just love the incandescent beam and knurled body of the older aviator. The new A2L has a Seoul SSC P4 emitter and, frankly, the tint sucks.

Another light to consider is the Nitecore CR6. It has independent white and red LEDs, and has variable output on each. This might give you maximum flexibility for managing your preferred output on both red and white light. Only drawback is it isn't made in the USA like Surefire, although the build quality should be good enough if you're not incredibly rough on it.

nimdabew

Enlightened
I ended up picking up a MT60C nistead of messing with my A2. I am not sure what I am going to do with my A2 now that I have a new dedicated white/red flying light.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is an MT60C? Google shows it is a transit bag made for Engel 12v fridge/freezers. I doubt you're setting one on fire and using that as an illumination tool. :thumbsup:

Latest posts