LED replacement for a 4.8V 0.3A flashlight bulb?

Recoil Rob

Newly Enlightened
I have a few "book lights' we use when camping, shown below. They use 4 AA cells and a standard incandescent bulb, a 4.8V, 0.3A screw in. These lights work better than a headlamp in that they will shine the light on the book rather than out of the rest of the tent.

41QEFNFSEDL.jpg

Are there any LED replacements for a bulb of this size? I think it's an E10 base.

61h-xe2HyJL._SL1000_.jpg

What about this type E10, 1-9V, "Miniature 10mm screw base bulb with 1 Watt High Power Cool White LED. Wide voltage range will operate from 1 to 9VDC(1~3 battery cells), 80~550ma, 75 lumen, 120 degree beam pattern, bottom contact must be connected to positive."

timthumb.php

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, that will work but take note of the polarity. Sometimes those book lights have negative to the pole and that sometimes will kill your led.

I have a couple similar to those. Good wide voltage range. Not super bright but a good clear light. Be careful about the voltage ratings though. 1-3 cells is not a max of 9V. 1-6 cells is.

Recoil Rob

Newly Enlightened
Bear with me, noob here. The bulb I pictured is rather expensive at $11.

4AA cells in series is 6V, I see a lot of E10 LED bulbs on eBay listed at 6-12V, can get by with that.

thanks for your patience.

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Are the bulbs you have not bright enough? I think that 75 lumen led will be too bright a few inches from the book... you would need to see.
Also the 6-12v ones, your 6v from 4xAA would soon drop below 6v, would they still work?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on whether you are talking about CR123 cells (3) or AA/AAA/C/D cells (6).

When it comes to these led replacement globes it is almost pretty much the case that it refers to the 1.5V cell.

Are the bulbs you have not bright enough? I think that 75 lumen led will be too bright a few inches from the book... you would need to see.
Also the 6-12v ones, your 6v from 4xAA would soon drop below 6v, would they still work?

Often the voltage is a guide. With a 4 cell replacement, it will work with 3 cells. Just not as bright. Works the other way too sometimes. I have a 3 cell Terralux in my 4xAA cateye bike light. Doesn't always work though. Burnt one in a 4D mag.

I wouldn't trust some of the lumen ratings. That 75 is probably double what it actually is. Plus being pretty much all flood, some of that is lost