Surefire M3LT-B vs. Olight M3XS-UT

Hertao

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to decide between the Surefire M3LT-B and the Olight M3XS-UT. I haven't seen either of them in person, and I've been unable to find much information or reviews on the new 1,000 lumen version of the M3LT-B + the "new" lens design.

Does anyone know how these lights compare? What is the difference between them in throw and spill?

Thank you!

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to decide between the Surefire M3LT-B and the Olight M3XS-UT. I haven't seen either of them in person, and I've been unable to find much information or reviews on the new 1,000 lumen version of the M3LT-B + the "new" lens design.

Does anyone know how these lights compare? What is the difference between them in throw and spill?

I tried to find the most basic info...what LED the Surefire uses, the candela rating, etc. The Olight specs are easy to find, but Surefire doesn't deem it necessary to supply that info. Reason enough to stay away, at least for me.

I'll bet $20 the M3XS-UT has a higher candela rating. Runtime will also be MUCH better, if you use 2x18650. The Surefire won't let you run those...you are stuck with primaries, or much lower capacity 17500s.

The price is also a major difference. The M3XS-UT was recently available for $88 shipped, whereas the M3LT-B looks to be $300 and up. I appreciate quality, but there is a limit...the Surefire is at least twice as expensive, for similar (or lesser) performance.

If you truly need a light like this for your job, maybe the Surefire is worth the enormous premium. But for your average flashaholic, I just don't see the value.

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
I don't have either of them but what I can say is that they are quite diffrent. The Olight will throw much further, it has a tiny hotspot that will travel a massive distance. The Surefire has an optic which creates a broad spotlight with little spill, i'm not what the new lens design does (more throw or more spill, probably more spill) but it will not travel as far as the olight. For me the more usefull light is the surefire. I'm amazed at the distances some of these lights can go, but for most tasks such a light is not useful and gives you tunnel vision. While the surefire will light up a much broader area while still going a respectable distance.
Hope this is of any use.

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
Only just saw Doc's reply and he brings up some good points, I always forget they only take CR123's which is a big drawback.
What are you going to use the light for?

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure the Surefire would be far more durable.

I just picked up the M3X Javelot and it is a super performer. I'm also putting a lanyard on it so it doesn't fall on to the pavement and quit. 1 meter drop rating and 1,000 meter throw.

Hertao

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. Which beam pattern do you think would be closer to something like the E2B Backup? I like the E2B beam pattern a lot. It's pretty focused, but it does have a usable spill.

In this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfqUxRs9rto) of the M3XS-UT, it appears to have decent spill too. So I guess I'm inclined to get it since it's literally half the price.

Regarding use, I'm looking for a relatively tight "spotlight", but with some usable spill.

Hertao

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure the Surefire would be far more durable.

I just picked up the M3X Javelot and it is a super performer. I'm also putting a lanyard on it so it doesn't fall on to the pavement and quit. 1 meter drop rating and 1,000 meter throw.

Hmm...that is one of my concerns. All of my lights thus far are Surefires. I have 6PX Tactical, an LX2, and an E2B Backup. I definitely don't want to get something of "sub-standard" quality compared to what I'm accustomed to.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm...that is one of my concerns. All of my lights thus far are Surefires. I have 6PX Tactical, an LX2, and an E2B Backup. I definitely don't want to get something of "sub-standard" quality compared to what I'm accustomed to.
Get the Surefire.

Better only costs more.

I took my M3XS-UT to river valley last night, easy half mile across and I could light up the valley where I pointed it, and high rises on other side of city.

I don't throw mine around or drop many things in my life, so this fits my usage pretty good. If I was klutzy and careless, I'd have to spend the money for something better built.
Like a MagLite.
I'll never buy Surefire again.

Have a great one.

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
I also have the E2B Backup and I agree, it has a great beam pattern. The surefire M3LT-B will look similair, just brighter. I think anyway, but their optics are fairly similair.
I watched the video of the olight and the problem is it doesn't really show any distance. Spill looks oke but at max. 50 meters all 1000 lumen lights will have decent spill I think.
This might be a stretch but if you are in the U.S. can't you go to a store and maybe try out a surefire M3LT-B to see the beam pattern?

You could also e-mail a dealer and explain your story and buy both and return the one you like the least if they are oke with that.

Hertao

Newly Enlightened
Get the Surefire...I'll never buy Surefire again.

Are you being sarcastic with one of those statements???

I always forget they only take CR123's which is a big drawback.

I use the Surefire rechargeable CR123 size batteries in my LX2 and E2B, and I was planning on using them in the M3LT if I got it. Would they not work in that light for some reason?

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a word, yes.

Surefires are built like a tank, if you need that quality, it's there at Surefire for a pretty dollar.

If you need a reasonably durable product for not a lot of dollars, Olight is there. One meter DR is average and that seemed questionable so there are answers that alleviate that issue, just for more dollars.

My Surefires outlasted the tech inside of them, commendable indeed.
So did all my cheap lights.

About MagLite comment, was not a poke at then or other poster, it's a extremely durable product that is not in the running as best, though it's one of the most durable... Durable is preferred in all cases, though we choose higher performance and accept limitations.
Unless you spend the money.

One is built to be all around tank, one is made to give great performance with reasonable durability for a third of the other.
So, if you're going to be rough, get a Surefire, MagLite, if you're reasonable check out the reasonably durable Olight.

So, I'll never buy bullet proof again, I've no need for that level of robustness. Though I'm just a Joe.
You may need crazy tough, choose an pay accordingly.
Jmtc

Last edited:

Hertao

Newly Enlightened
Thanks WarRaven!

I decided to give Olight a try...just ordered from Going Gear. :)

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks WarRaven!

I decided to give Olight a try...just ordered from Going Gear. :)
You are absolutely welcome, sorry if I sounded testy.

I think you'll like the light if you want a crazy thrower.
If you want to check for the quantity of milk in the local coconuts, the Surefire is the way to go.
Or a modded MagLite even.

Also, not sure if, but if a light was to get Vin's touch with drivers or LEDs upgrades, the Surefire will be out of the running.
Sunk that submarine right there. ☺
Also can use rechargeable cells where that can be a limitation in other lights.

Hertao

Newly Enlightened
When you get it, let us know what you think, please. Hope you like it!

I sure will. :)

I think you'll like the light if you want a crazy thrower.
If you want to check for the quantity of milk in the local coconuts, the Surefire is the way to go.

Well, I've already got a few Surefire lights + an Oveready in a Surefire body. So it will be nice to try something different...something that's also pushing way beyond the Surefire throw range...and in a much cheaper package.