LSL and bubbled looking lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I luckily managed to purchase one of the ARC-LSL TSP123/TSP2AA special back in Dec.03. I too like others received one with what appears to be a bubble in the lens. Others who have seen pics of them or who are simply doing a good deed of trying to help all think of the protective film that is on the lens first. Some think it's an imperfection or has to do with AR coating or something.

What it really turns out to be (for mine anyway), if no one has figured it out, is the optic's retaining ring being too tight.

When I was changing the emitter in mine, at the same time I wanted to see what the "bubble" actually was. When I went to unscrew the white retaining ring, the bubble disappeared as soon as I barely got the ring loose.

What you are seeing is a portion of the lens coming in very close contact with the lens leaving virtually no gap between the optic & lens while the remaining portion not being able to meet that same clearance with a gap. So my guess is all those who have that bubble look in your lens, the cause is the optic's retaining ring being too tight. I say too tight because when I try to tighten the ring so that the optic comes in full contact with the lens leaving no gap between the optic & lens, I'm not able to as the ring gets very tight and feels as if it is going to strip before the "bubble" fills the entire lens. When I screw in the retaining ring to the point where it's not overly tight but just snug on the optics with no play, no bubble look.

So you can fix this yourself if you are able to (always remember, using the wrong tool for the job will most likley cause you pain or suffering by damage to the work or yourself) and will most likley void the warranty for disassembling it, or send it back to Peter (I'm sure he'll take care of it), or simply just live with it.

Disassembling the ARC-LS head for some might not be that easy. I had to buy a pair of some round-needle-nose pliers that isn't very common in stores and shave down the tips so that they would fit into the holes of the ARC's lock ring. I tried using retaining clip pliers but the lock ring was to tight for the strength of the retaining clip pliers. Even with the round-nose pliers I had to grip the pliers in a vise and use two hands (one over the other) to loosen the ARC head. The loctite does it's job, on mine at least. Some say to heat it to make it easier and I'm sure it would but I was scared of damaging all the plastics that are in the head.

thx

Spacemarine

Enlightened
Did you also have some dust between the reflektor and the lens? My LSH has some and I wonder if it is possible to clean it somehow. Or is this normal and unavoidable?

Samoan

Enlightened
I realized that last night. I just loosened the head ever so slightly and the "bubble" went away. There are some notes on the instructions about not over-tightening so I figure that's what I did.

It's all good now!

-Fernando

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spacemarine, I've got a speck of dust and a tiny piece of lint under my lens as well. I wouldn't risk trying to open up the head just for that, and besides, you might just end up with more fingerprints on the inside instead!!!

neogoon

Newly Enlightened
Cool, that's good to know. I'm living with it for now, but that's useful info, thanks.

Skyline

Enlightened
Thanks for the tip! In my case, it turns out the battery pack was screwed down too tightly (although I was careful to never crank it down). I backed it off some and the spot went away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I also had this problem however did not find it to effect beam quality at all.I really could not see it unless I held the light at a certain angle.
I did find that placing the light in the freezer for a few minutes seemed to make the spot go away.When the body returned to room temp.the bubble was so much smaller that I could no longer see it hardly at all.I did not wish to try any tools on this light as it is just perfect the way it came to me.I have a habit of messing up most things that I try to work on.
This is my first ARC product and I must say that I plan to buy more.I really do like this light and the quality and company is amazing.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
OK the following day I noticed the bubble is still here but smaller and a different shape.It is something you really cant notice unless I point it out to anyone examining the light.It is transparent in nature and really has no effect on the beam.
My question is this...when I put it in the freezer for a minute the bubble went away and later returned when it went back to room temp.It was however smaller and shaped different.If I continue to cycle this light between very cold and then back to normal temp.will it hurt the light in any way?
I do not plan to actually freeze the light as it does not take much of a colder temp. to remove the bubble.I am hoping after a few rounds the bubble will dissappear completely.I assume this remedy,even if temporary,is due to the shrinking of the metal under colder temp.Does any one here think this will work?It really is not a big deal as the bubble is not effecting the performance of this light but I was just curious about my possible fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.