Relationship between Color Blindness and Tint Preference in Flashlights

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
What, if anything, is known about the relationship between color blindness and tint preference in flashlights?

A surprisingly large percentage of the male population is color-blind. The predominant form is red-green color blindness. Among females, the number is smaller, but still significant. According to Wikipedia, "In individuals with Northern European ancestry, as many as 8 percent of men and 0.4 percent of women experience congenital color deficiency." Wikipedia also reports that, "Some studies conclude that color-blind people are better at penetrating certain color camouflages."

The other day, it occurred to me that some of the people who report that they see colors better under a cool-white flashlight may be color-blind. Is there any research that supports this idea?

More generally, is there a tendency—whatever the reason—for color-blind people to prefer flashlights that have a cool-white tint?

jetjet28

Newly Enlightened
This is very interesting as I am in the 8%. I really do hope someone has done some research on this and shares. I would love to know what light tint would work best for me. Great question, sorry I am no help with the answer though

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can tell you that I have a friend that is colorblind. And he actually prefers cool white lights to neutrals and warms. So you might have something here.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
What an outrageous suggestion - just because someone has different preferences to you doesn't mean that they are colour-blind.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
What an outrageous suggestion - just because someone has different preferences to you doesn't mean that they are colour-blind.

No, it does not mean they have vision problems. However, anyone that prefers cool-white does have mental problems. ;)

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whoa! Slow down, bro.

My OP asks only about objective facts. I trust you would not be outraged if data showed that color-blind flashlight owners tend to prefer cool-white over neutral. But what if data showed the reverse? Would you be outraged to discover that color-blind people prefer neutral-white more often than those who are not color-blind?

Neither result would bother me.

This is very interesting as I am in the 8%. I really do hope someone has done some research on this and shares. I would love to know what light tint would work best for me. Great question, sorry I am no help with the answer though

Thanks, Jet. You understood my question.

Nvincible

Newly Enlightened
Very interesting question as I'm very color challenged! lol. Red/Green for sure with me. Haven't taken a test in a long time but in the old days, the color blindness test was 25 pages of colored dots that you were supposed to see numbers in. I always saw the first two pages with numbers and just pages of dots after that.

I've often wondered how that might affect my perception of a torch light.

jetjet28

Newly Enlightened
Nvincible, not sure what kind of phone you have, but they have free apps now to test for it. So frustrating to me since I believe I can see colors fine, but those damn numbers in the dots do not appear to me! I think they are rigged :)

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nvincible, not sure what kind of phone you have, but they have free apps now to test for it. So frustrating to me since I believe I can see colors fine, but those damn numbers in the dots do not appear to me! I think they are rigged :)

None of us see colours like they really are. What we perceive is a mushed blend of the spectrum, which shows as one colour. For example, if a light source has a sharp spike of green light and a sharp spike of red light, we see that as plain yellow. We don't see it as two distinct colours, nor is there any "yellow" spectrum in the light at all!

It would be like if someone played a C major chord on a piano, and the only note we could hear was E flat. Something totally different than what was really played.

Basically, our vision sucks when it comes to identifying colours.

insanefred

Enlightened
What, if anything, is known about the relationship between color blindness and tint preference in flashlights?

A surprisingly large percentage of the male population is color-blind. The predominant form is red-green color blindness. Among females, the number is smaller, but still significant. According to Wikipedia, "In individuals with Northern European ancestry, as many as 8 percent of men and 0.4 percent of women experience congenital color deficiency." Wikipedia also reports that, "Some studies conclude that color-blind people are better at penetrating certain color camouflages."

The other day, it occurred to me that some of the people who report that they see colors better under a cool-white flashlight may be color-blind. Is there any research that supports this idea?

More generally, is there a tendency—whatever the reason—for color-blind people to prefer flashlights that have a cool-white tint?

I am genuinely interested in a follow up study on this!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
As someone who trouble shoots studies from time to time...the variables I see in this experiment, off the top of my head:

1) "Color Blindness" is rarely absolute, so, all the people who see a red fire truck and a green traffic light, but don't see the numbers on the mosaic circles, etc...have a DEGREE of insensitivity to these colors...and, may have additional perception of OTHER colors. A very detailed analysis of each subjects individual responses to different wavelengths would be required.

2) "Tint" is subjective, and, NOT actually representative of color rendition...even though its is commonly falsely assumed to show colors more accurately. CRI and many other factors would be part of the specs of the chosen "tints". For example, there are high CRI XML2 as well as Nichia's, etc...and, they can all have difference specs. "Cool White" and "Warm White" and "Warm" for example are not defined terms....and, even if we use defined terms to select lights to use in the experiment, what we chose may not reflect a purchaser's idea of the same terms. (IE: We define a light as "Warm white" and they consider it "warm" or "cool", or "neutral" etc.)

3) The "lumen" scale is weighed to human visual response, but, that is based upon an average...as obviously people who don't see green as well are not well represented in that, etc.

4) "Prefer" is subjective as well, in that it TYPICALLY means they simply like the way things look under one light over an another, and DOESN'T mean that they SEE BETTER OR MORE ACCURATELY. This is borne out by many OTHER studies that prove humans often THINK they see better with one light, but actually see better with another...but didn't realize it.

So, you'd need to define what definitions you will use for "tint", then, find a few lights with the EXACT SAME TINT, AND, the exact same CRI, lumens, lux, etc, too.

You would need target scenes to illuminate that allows a full spectrum of color responses, with exactly known proportions.

They would need to replicate assorted trail, forest, urban and other environments that lights are used for.

The test subjects would need to be non-flashies, so the terms "tint" etc, would not be on the table...and eliminate the tint snob variable. IE: The question is "Do color blind people prefer cool white tints?"

The study would then chart the preferences of the participants against their degree and type of color perception, and see if those who have poorer color vision prefer cool whites over those with better color vision.

It should allow a break down by spectrum range, etc.

I would also add a night adapted vs day adapted session to the testing...with degrees of adaptation measured as well to provide further information, as humans tend to lose color vision as they adapt to darkness, and a "point of diminishing return" for the tint preferences would be an interesting reference between the participants who STARTED with color deficiencies, vs those who started without deficiencies.

Adding various Lux intensities would be a good idea too, as at least in museum studies, etc, some tints seem to be preferred at lower lux, and others at higher lux, etc. IE: So far, when the light is dimmer, warmer is preferred, and, when brighter, cooler is preferred.

:D

Last edited:

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
This peaks my interest as i'm color deficient. I will have to do some tests with my lights and color. I do prefer white....hummm.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't tell you what the general correlation is...but I do not have any color blindness (as identified by those tests), and I usually prefer cool white. The exception would be for night hikes in the woods...for that, my ideal is a diffused neutral MT-G2. I have a fairly strong aversion to warm tints, regardless of use (at least with flashlights, and to a lesser extent with home lighting too).

By the way, TEEJ, another excellent post! Thanks.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, it does not mean they have vision problems. However, anyone that prefers cool-white does have mental problems. ;)

Ha, ha! There are some definite hunting advantages to color blindness, and some definite gathering/harvesting advantages to having good color sense. -Not to mention in interior design, or is that design and decor?... or rather, maybe color blindness favors design while good color sense favors decor?
I'm just stirring the pot to keep it from sticking on the bottom.

Last edited:

Nvincible

Newly Enlightened

Thanks! lol Tried two different ones on android and came in on total color blindness on both. Interesting but pretty much just like I remembered. Cool to see the explanations on what you should see and what it means if you don't. No one ever mentioned the answers before.

Rick NJ

Newly Enlightened

I am not color blind but I very much prefer cool/pure white. I would not buy lights less than 5000K for normal lighting. The reason is the yellow-ish lighting changes the color of the object I am observing. Case and point: Under warm-white (2700K), I cannot read the resister color code at all. I cannot differentiate purple and brown under 2700K lighting whereas I read them just fine at 5000K.

If you are curious about your color-sight:
http://www.colour-blindness.com/colour-blindness-tests/ishihara-colour-test-plates/

I just checked my color vision again. Apart from plate 8 and 16, all else I passed with flying colors (if only I can see the color in flying). For both plate 8 and 16, I misread the 6 as an 8 unless I look at it very carefully reaching and perhaps exceeded the 5 second per plate I am allowed.

Try it yourself, it is kind of fun.

Rick

TEEJ

Flashaholic
My unofficial seat of the pants impression is that most humans I have shown assorted lights prefer cool white. Cool white outsells every thing else by an enormous margin, and in comparisons, almost everyone prefers cool white over the warmer tints.

That doesn't mean EVERYONE of course, but, overwhelmingly, people seem to prefer cool white in general. Assuming most people have "average color vision", that would imply that there is no ADDED preference for cool white by the color blind - as the not-color-blind already prefer cool white by an overwhelming majority.

The only way the color blind could DIFFER is to actually prefer warmer lights.

My gut impression is essentially that except for a few, everyone prefers cool white.

I like neutral white myself, but when I show people assorted lights, they don't pick what I'd pick as much as they pick cool whites.

Now, MOST of my lights are bright, and, no one seems to purposefully choose a dim light to see with...but might prefer a dimmer light to avoid glaring out their night adapted vision at 3 am, etc.

I have NOT done a "dim light" preference comparison....but, others have:

In studies in museum lighting for example, as the higher the lux, the more damage it does to certain artifacts, they want the lighting to be as dim as they can get away with, to help preserve documents, etc.

For art work, etc, they want to show pieces in the most flattering light.

They found that below ~ 5 lux or so, the warmer tints were generally perceived as more pleasant. Above that, the cooler tints were progressively perceived as more pleasant.

I have a chart of this:

19711779318_de95a7cf0b_o.jpg

Its called the Kruithof Curve.

1 Lux = ~ 0.0929 foot candles

Intensity is on the Y axis and Kº (color temp/tint) is along the X axis.

The white area is the "Pleasing Lighting" range...and, as the chart shows, people prefer the very warm lighting at very dim levels, and, as the light gets brighter, they start to prefer cooler lighting.

By ~ 50 foot candles, they swing to the cool fairly strongly.

This is again used in museums, where people are for example viewing art. The "pleasant" aspect is how they like the art in that lighting.

There is no correction for color vision or lack thereof...its for "average color vision".

--------------------

My INTERPRETATION of all this is that, potentially, those who prefer warmer tints might also be using dimmer lighting in general...as that would help to explain the obvious differences in opinion.

For example, If I have two of the exact same light, except one is an XLM2 and one is a N219, the XML2 might be producing 800 lumens and the N219 closer to 250 L, etc...so, objects perhaps 30 meters away would be dimly lit by the N219, and brightly lit by the XML2.

The guy who has all N219 lights for example, is used to the low output, and, as it IS low output, and, the targets ARE more dimly lit, he WILL find the warmer tint more pleasing...which is of course a cyclic reinforcement that he likes warmer lights, and so forth.

The guy who has all XML2 lights for example is used to the higher output, and, as it IS higher output, and the targets ARE brightly lit, he WILL find the cooler tints to be more pleasing...which is of course a cyclinc reinforcement that he likes cooler lights, and so forth.

If, once you find out you "Like Warmer Tints", you tend to buy warmer tinted lights...and, as they are warmer tinted, they are dimmer, and, look nicer in dim lighting...you will have example after example to teach you that warmer lights are just so much more pleasant, and those who like cooler tints must be defective in some way (Uncouth Barbarians).

If, once you find out you "Like Cooler Tints", you tend to buy cooler tinted lights...and, as they are cooler tinted, they are brighter, so, look nicer in brighter lighting...you will have example after example to teach you that cooler lights are just so much more pleasant, and that those who like warmer lights must be defective in some way (Tint Snobs).

This is a nascent theory I am proposing for consideration amongst the Illuminati here.

:candle:

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's good TEEJ.
I already knew I liked dimmer and warmer light, but learning about the dense cones in the fovea maxima, and how low levels of red light allows them to function, giving us low light, higher definition vision, I was hooked.
I played around with red light, and for reading or playing chess, finding beer and smoke on the dark porch at night, it was great.
Warm white, or higher cri neutral gives some of the same but with better light quality. That's what I use now.
The benefit is especially noticable if I go from a very dim warm light to switching it to a higher setting, the brighter warmer light doesn't hurt my eyes as a cooler light generally does, and when I switch back to dim, there isn't a long adjustment period with my eyes.
It's true that if the light is bright enough I don't notice or care if it's suggestive of blue.
But if it's shining in my eyes, especially if I'm driving and is headlights, then I'd definitely prefer that it was warmer. Those newer, bluer headlights are pretty awful.
-After they pass I adjust back to my warmer, dimmer lows, maybe flip the warm high beams on for a few seconds or a minute.
The Kruithof Curve is the best theory I've heard.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a nascent theory I am proposing for consideration amongst the Illuminati here.

:candle:

Thanks for a thoughtful, and thought-provoking post. As with so many of your contributions, I learned a lot.

Regarding the budding theory that you describe at the end of your post., I tend to disagree. I think it sets up a false dichotomy.

Obviously, you are right to say that replacing a cool-white XM-L2 emitter in a flashlight with a 4500K, high-CRI Nichia 219B will leave the output much lower. From this, then, you can develop your theory. But in my opinion, it falls down on two points.

First, inserting a neutral-white emitter often means sacrificing only 7-10% in output. Consider, for instance, the difference between the cool-white and neutral-white models of the Zebralight SC62. Max output for the former is 1000 lumens. For the latter, it is 7% less, 930 lumens.

Without searching for examples, let me guess that you yourself have posted many times in this forum that—in most circumstances—a person cannot detect a 7% change in output. If someone expresses a preference for one tint or the other in the case of these Zebralight models, there must be factors at play that are not a part of your theory.

Second, who says you have to use the same flashlight? We have entered an era where the penalty in terms of reduced output for choosing a neutral-white emitter is vanishing. This is one of the things that has impressed me the most in my recent research. Except perhaps for specialized thowers, you can find high-quality, neutral-white flashlights—at mid-level prices—for any output need up to 3000 lumens or more.

If you want a 1000-lumen, neutral-white flashlight to compare against the cool-white Zebralight cited above, they are easy to find. Just for starters, the high-CRI Nichia version of the Eagletac MX25L3C outputs 2550 lumens on high. When someone expresses a preference for one of these lights over its cool-white cousin, she is not expressing a preference for low output. Plain and simple, she likes high output, she likes neutral, and she likes high-CRI!

As well, high-CRI versions of the Nichia 219C are just around the corner. My back-of-the-envelope estimate concluded that it will produce 60% more output than a similar 219B. When it hits the market, the low-output-versus-high tradeoff posited by your theory will diminish further. More and more, flashlight buyers will be choosing based on tint preference alone, and not some combination of tint and output levels.

In some ways, using an MT-G2 emitter would be an even better way compare cool-white with neutral white. The 5000K versions of the MT-G2 that are often used in flashlights have a CRI of about 75. I think that's close to the number we see in a 6300K XM-L2. If someone has a preference for the tint of one of these over the other, we know it won't be related to output level. We also know it won't be because of CRI.

These advances mean that it is now reasonable to pose the question of flashlight tint while holding output levels constant. I think this is the best way to approach the issue. Just as in the museum test you cited, flashlight tests should compare cool-white and neutral-white at identical lumen levels that are both high and low. Who knows what the result might be, but under those conditions, it would not surprise me to see something similar to what the museums learned.

Tint preference may vary according to output level.

Last edited: