• Fenix TK75 2015 edition. 4000 lumens

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Nitecore TM16 4000 lumens

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters

Lantern32

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

What would you say a solid flashlight would be above 3000 lumens? I would like it to have decent throw. I wouldn't the beam profile to be as tight as the olight SR95 intimidator because I couldn't use it. I currently own a Nitecore TM26, but it has no throw. The TK75 has a good amount of flood/throw, but is there anything better than that? The TK75 in the 2015 catalog has 4000 lumens which is quite nice, but the TM16 also does too. I can't imagine these would be the only good flood/throw lights in that lumen range.
I want a fairly tight beam, with enough spill to light up the objects around me.
Also, what about he nitecore TM16 vs the new Fenix TK75 in the 2015 catalog? They are both 4000 lumens.

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Lantern. Im going to jump in here and tell you what some of the more experienced members here are likely to say. There is no "best" flashlight over 3000 lumens or otherwise. It's a bit like saying "what's the best car with more than 400 horsepower?" Obviously there are Ferraris and Lamborghinis that might be best on the track but there are also big trucks that are best if you want to tow something or haul something. You need to narrow down your search with a few more constraints. Start with how you want to use the light. Then think about what aspects of a flashlight make it best for that purpose.

For example, if you want a searchlight to identify objects way off in the distance, you'll probably want something with a single LED in a big deep reflector that will throw very far. On the other hand, if you just want to light up everything in front of you inside 100 yards like it's daylight, you might want something with multiple LEDs in shallower reflectors or food optics so the beam is smooth and consistent across your entire field of view.

In both cases, you'll want to decide how large the light can be, what type of batteries it can use, how much runtime you need etc.

As you can see, it's a bit more complicated than just the "best" light. More like, the best light for your purpose given a set of constraints you choose.

If you can figure out what your uses case(s) will be and can answer some of the other questions above, you can try posting in the "Recommend me a light for..." forum and you'll get plenty of opinions that will help you narrow down the search for your perfect light.

Cheers!

-G

Lantern32

Enlightened
Hi Lantern. Im going to jump in here and tell you what some of the more experienced members here are likely to say. There is no "best" flashlight over 3000 lumens or otherwise. It's a bit like saying "what's the best car with more than 400 horsepower?" Obviously there are Ferraris and Lamborghinis that might be best on the track but there are also big trucks that are best if you want to tow something or haul something. You need to narrow down your search with a few more constraints. Start with how you want to use the light. Then think about what aspects of a flashlight make it best for that purpose.

For example, if you want a searchlight to identify objects way off in the distance, you'll probably want something with a single LED in a big deep reflector that will throw very far. On the other hand, if you just want to light up everything in front of you inside 100 yards like it's daylight, you might want something with multiple LEDs in shallower reflectors or food optics so the beam is smooth and consistent across your entire field of view.

In both cases, you'll want to decide how large the light can be, what type of batteries it can use, how much runtime you need etc.

As you can see, it's a bit more complicated than just the "best" light. More like, the best light for your purpose given a set of constraints you choose.

If you can figure out what your uses case(s) will be and can answer some of the other questions above, you can try posting in the "Recommend me a light for..." forum and you'll get plenty of opinions that will help you narrow down the search for your perfect light.

Cheers!

-G
Wow, well written. Would you mind if I edited my post to make it more specific?

Lantern32

Enlightened
Of course not!
I just tightened up my search, hopefully this is better! I'm guessing candela above 100k? My TM26 is just too floody. When i was camping there was a bear in the distance, but my light just couldn't illuminate him because he was too far away. The bear was looking away, so his eyes were not burned with 3800 lumens haha!

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noctigon Meteor M43.

Wide variety of emitter choices available ranging from 4000 to 8000 lumens. Build quality second to none. Extremely compact for its output and feature set.

Lantern32

Enlightened
Noctigon Meteor M43.

Wide variety of emitter choices available ranging from 4000 to 8000 lumens. Build quality second to none. Extremely compact for its output and feature set.
Impressive light but not enough throw for me.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Impressive light but not enough throw for me.

True. It is a flood monster. Not great for throw.

My sample is equipped with XPG2 dedomed. My lux meter measures it at 102k lux on fresh IMR cells. ... not bad, but definitely not a real thrower. If you want a thrower you can pretty easily got a lot higher than that with a single emitter and a wider reflector or aspheric lens.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the M3XS-UT.
It does not meet your lumen requirement but meets range of 1000 meters.
Edit, it won't scare away a red eyed carnivore, but at least see it maybe.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
When i was camping there was a bear in the distance, but my light just couldn't illuminate him because he was too far away. The bear was looking away, so his eyes were not burned with 3800 lumens haha!

How far away are you expecting to see who's waving back?

The bear was looking away, but despite this point and how many yards between you and this shy bear, you still knew it was a bear?

If you can post how many feet or yards you're expecting to be able to see clearly, what it is you're spotlighting.

I know that in the case of a Nitecore TM16, at a 1000', one can tell who's waving back at you. The TM16 covers both flood and throw.

Lantern32

Enlightened

The bear was looking away, but despite this point and how many yards between you and this shy bear, you still knew it was a bear?

If you can post how many feet or yards you're expecting to be able to see clearly, what it is you're spotlighting.

I know that in the case of a Nitecore TM16, at a 1000', one can tell who's waving back at you. The TM16 covers both flood and throw.
Well, I believe 800 meters in real world conditions would be the max. I knew it was a bear because my brother used his thrower to clearly illuminate the bear. I don't need to shine this light down a barn and see all the hay, but I would like to be able to see across a fairly small medow. I believe 120,000 cd would be plenty for a that, but I don't know how much you have to go above the range. I believe my medow is 490-500 meters, yet my TM26 can't make it to the other side.

Lantern32

Enlightened

Turns out I was wrong. How would the Olight SR95 intimidator work for my needs? I was thinking of the beam profile of the Olight SR95 intimidator UT. Also, how about ace beam? The ace beam k60 seems like an impressive light!

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I believe 800 meters in real world conditions would be the max. I knew it was a bear because my brother used his thrower to clearly illuminate the bear. I don't need to shine this light down a barn and see all the hay, but I would like to be able to see across a fairly small medow. I believe 120,000 cd would be plenty for a that, but I don't know how much you have to go above the range.

800m? :faint: That's a hair short of a half-mile.

I believe my medow is 490-500 meters, yet my TM26 can't make it to the other side.

500m? :faint: That's a bit under a third of a mile.

Out of ignorance, I have to ask, what are reasonable expectations for lights of this kind? I ask because I only expect a hundred or two hundred yards out of a 4000lm TM16.

What light was your brother using?

How far away would you say the bear was?

For my needs (admittedly, my needs are not your needs), I like the TM16 because of it being (my opinion) a nice balance between being a floody and a thrower. When available, I would like to add a 16000lm floody/thrower to the flashlight stable; if just to say I have one. :D

Currently, I'm happy with a Nitecore TM16/EC4 combination. I would like to add an 18650 powered headlight. I'm looking to add a Nitecore HC90 for forest night-walks. Camping or walking, between headlight and handheld light, the three (in my opinion) make for a sweet trifecta.

The curiosity (ignorance) of my question, how much should I expect out of a light? Are my expectations too low or too reserve?

For my edification, it would also help to know what the price/efficiency cross over point is. Not counting high output batteries and charger, the TM16 is <$200.00. How much should one expect to spend on their expectations? Search and Rescue gear gets real pricey as the lumens and run-time go up.

Last edited:

Lantern32

Enlightened
800m? :faint: That's a hair short of a half-mile.

500m? :faint: That's a bit under a third of a mile.

Out of ignorance, I have to ask, what are reasonable expectations for lights of this kind. I ask because I only expect a hundred or two hundred yards out of a 4000lm TM16.
Really? The TM16 can only do 200 yards? The reflectors seemed pretty deep, and the candela was around 120k. I am quite surprised about that! Do you know any light that would be able to do about 500m? Drop the 800m because that is pushing it :laughing:

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? The TM16 can only do 200 yards? The reflectors seemed pretty deep, and the candela was around 120k. I am quite surprised about that! Do you know any light that would be able to do about 500m? Drop the 800m because that is pushing it :laughing:

The TM16 will easily do more that 200m. When lighting a pitch black mountain road, I can easily see who's waving back at me at. Admittedly, my expectations are low, around a hundred or two-hundred meters. That's why I ask: What are reasonable expectations out of a $200.00 light?

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Do you know any light that would be able to do about 500m? Drop the 800m because that is pushing it :laughing:
So more than 3000 lumens and a reach of 500 meters.. I know a lot of lights, but can't think of a led-light with those specs. If you go HID, the choice is easy -> like Polarion, XeVision/LEMAX or Surefire. My TK75 is listed at 606m,but no way it lights up stuff clearly at that distance.
Most led-flashlights with that kinda output, are shorter range. More flood than throw.

Last edited: