How do you feel when you get caught without your light and need it?

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other night on vacation we were all playing badminton when the timer shut off the court lights at 11pm. It was an over cast night so no moon or stars, just pitch black. I reached for my D25a2 only to realize it was laying on the side line with the rest of my stuff. I felt dumb and aggravated because I always have a light on me no matter what I'm doing but for some reason I took everything out of my pockets including both my D25a2 and my mini mag. Of course the family gave me heck over it for being the "flashlight guy" and not having a light. I did pick up my D25a2 and find my TK41, TK45, and SX25L2T which were on the side lines as well so we had plenty of light after that lol.

Two nights later we had gotten back and I was running in to town drop off my son at his mammaw's and come straight back home. My hands were full when I left the house so I didn't grab my edc bag thinking I would be right back. 5 hours, two rounds of storms, and reports of 4 tornados later, (ended up just being one large column cloud seen from multiple places in the county, wasn't any rotation) I made it back home. When I had gotten to town my fiance called and said she was done with the wedding rehearsal she was in and wanted to go eat. We had been at the restaurant for maybe 10 minutes when a pop up storm hit. The tornado sirens were set off and a warning was issued so we left and went to her grandparents. When we got there somebody made the comment how they were glad I was there in case the power went out. Once again I felt stupid for having flashlights that I bought to have for events like that and didn't have them with me. (Ended up just being heavy rains all night with no damages or power outages)

After two nights in one week of not having my lights with me we I needed them, I remembered why I have always stressed over being prepared no matter what you are doing or the time of day it might be. (When the storm hit, it had been bright sunshine all day and then just suddenly got real dark) I hate the feeling of being caught without a light, especially being a flashaholic. It makes me aggravated, disappoints me I don't have such and such model for such and such situation, and makes me feel dumb for always talking about lights but when I need them not having them, not to mention the ridicule I get from family and friends.

So my question for everyone, when have you needed a light and not had one and how did you feel about it?

LedTed

Enlightened
Luckily, over the last decade, I wouldn't know what being without my EDC flashlight is like. The last surprise I got was when some … I just use the word "jokester" … turned off the bathroom lights at work. The joker walked to the door, started to laugh, and turned off the lights. I retrieved my never out of reach NC D11.2. The laughing instantly stopped. The joker walked out. But the lights didn't get turned back on till I had a chance to do so. No matter my preparedness, I still wasn't happy about the situation. I don't know how I would have felt if I was without my EDC light.

kj2

Flashaholic
Happened to me too. First I thought :oops:.. then I was like:thinking:.. and then:stupid:

Since then, 95% of the time I've a light of some sort on/with me. There are still moments when I don't have a light with me, but only when I know for sure, I'll be fine without one.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had the same bathroom experience lol!

It's been a couple of years since it happened to me last and then it was just the fact that one of the 4 lights I grabbed to help direct traffic didn't have batteries so it wasn't that big of a deal.

I did at least have my D25a2 during the storm

1DaveN

Enlightened
I have an inexpensive 20-lumen light attached to my house key, so I'm never without it when away from home. It's not much of a light, but it's enough to walk by if it's all I've got.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
For this very reason i always check to make sure my light is with me along with my cellphone and keys. Technically i carry two lights (one being my smartphone) and a mini Maglite.

I'd feel a bit bad if i didn't have a light on me and needed it but if i left without a light that would be rare so it would also be rare that i would actually need that light in that instance. There's been times i have forgotten my cellphone with me so how i remember my light is i either keep it in the pants pocket i plan on wearing that day or at least put it ontop of the clothes i have laid out for the day, can't forget it if it's right there :).

floki

Newly Enlightened
just about every night, in the middle of the night I wake up to use the bathroom. Which is downstairs in the middle of the hall, nxt to my daughters rooms. If I start turning on lights they wake up, cranky 7 and under girls at 2&3am is never fun. I have my flashlights nxt to my bed on the nightstand, just for this and many other reasons. Without fail I almost always forget a flashlight and end up stumbling downstairs and waking someone up. After 7years you'd think I'd remember....

BarryG

Enlightened
I always have at least one light on me. Every day I have a sapphire in my pocket and an E05SSvn on my keys clipped to my belt loop. Normally an 18650 flashlight of some sort in my other pocket or holster. Aquaram with tritium fob on lanyard beside the bed at night.

Barry

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel fear and sadness and irritation when that happens.

Anywhere I go at night, I have at the bare minimum a MiniMag Led Pro in my hand, but usually a 4 Sevens MMU-X3. That's at the bare minimum. If I am going anywhere at night with the ability to have something hanging from my hip, then it is a SX25L3 or M43 that I have with me.

Daytime: MiniMag Led Pro at all times, and usually it and one other larger, selected from the above.

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
Luckily, over the last decade, I wouldn't know what being without my EDC flashlight is like. The last surprise I got was when some … I just use the word "jokester" … turned off the bathroom lights at work. The joker walked to the door, started to laugh, and turned off the lights. I retrieved my never out of reach NC D11.2. The laughing instantly stopped. The joker walked out. But the lights didn't get turned back on till I had a chance to do so. No matter my preparedness, I still wasn't happy about the situation. I don't know how I would have felt if I was without my EDC light.

The woman did that to me the other night. I was filling my water cup at the water dispenser in the bedroom. She laughed and turned the light out as she walked out. I said seriously, come on. Within 2 seconds my E1D was in a tail stand lighting the room brighter than the main light. Her laughter turned to grumbles, loved it.

A few months ago I had to go into the shop early ( normally night crew) so why need a light, I was only supposed to be an hour. Well 6 hours later and darkness falls....Never again. I just had an argument with a buddy, even if it's daytime you could be caught in a building/elevator whatever. Never know.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I hardly ever get caught. I usually have at least two from my collection of small pocket lights on me, sometimes three. These include a Peak Eiger 10250 in stainless or brass, a Thrunite TiS flamed titanium 10440/AAA, a Thrunite T10T AAA titanium, a Maratac stainless AAA, an MBI HF-R 10280 titanium, a 4Sevens Quark Mini MLR2 CR2 aluminum, an Olight i3S EOS AAA aluminum, a TnC Extreme Micro Turbo 15270/RCR2 in electroless nickel, a DQG Fairy 10180 in brass, the Micro ATL light in aluminum, brass, or copper from the home built thread here, a Lummi Orb Wee 10180 in stainless, aluminum, silver, titanium, or damascus, a Veleno Designs D2 10280 stainless, a Steve Ku 38DD 10180 titanium, 40DD 10180 damascus, 44DD 10220 titanium, Steve Ku Dogbone 10280 titanium, a Modamag 10280 Draco AlTiN coated titanium, and a Modamag chromed titanium 10180 Drake. That's maybe 1/4 of my pocket light collection, but then most are shelf queens.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Now that's what I call a practical, functional keychain!

That Sinclair looks sweet. I found the webpage and intend to order one. I'm surprised they get 300 lumens out of it.

Last edited:

Nvincible

Newly Enlightened
I feel like an idiot when something like that happens and it can happen. I'm also the "flashlight" guy. I can certainly see what happened to you happening. I'd empty my pockets too to play tennis or whatever. At least they weren't far away but you had to have been totally blind for a minute while your eyes adjusted. It's not like you weren't prepared, you had them with you. Just one of those weird things that happens and let's us know you can't over prepare! lol Let others laugh... they still come to us when they are needing light!
I get caught needing one usually in my own yard. I'll just run to the garage (detatched) and forget to grab one off my desk. So dumb when they are all over the place but it happens. That's pretty much the only time I'm not wearing one or two lights, relaxing in my home.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind darkness...not having a light didn't bother me until I started carrying a light, and realized just how handy it was.

It just doesn't happen any more, though. I have tons of lights at home, and if I am out, I always have a light on me. I've forgotten my wallet, pen, ID, and many other things at one time or another, but since I actually use a light every day, I just don't get caught without one. If I know I'm going to be using a light, I'll frequently have two 1x18650 lights on me, plus a MBI HF, and a Photon keychain light. And if I'm night hiking, I'll usually have a couple big lights, and at least one smaller light on top of that. What can I say, I like variety!

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last time I got caught without my light, Surefire e2d ultra at the time was last year walking late at night, got too close to a car in which the driver was asking for directions to an unfamiliar address when the driver grabbed my iPhone and sped off. Like a dumbass I put my arm in the window and held on till I lost my hold. £1500 worth of personal item and clothing damage, injuries, and lots of stress I swore never again! My lights are all at least 200 lumens and throw fairly well. My preferred protection is a .45 but if that isn't allowed then a good light is good backup.

watt4

Enlightened
Two nights later we had gotten back and I was running in to town drop off my son at his mammaw's and come straight back home.

no car kit?

I was caught once without a way to start a fire. I was at a friends house and they were going to fire up something. was asked if I had matches or a lighter. I looked through my car and was surprised to find that I did NOT have matches or a lighter. soon after I made a couple simple fire kits, one for the glovebox and one for the trunk. (lighters and matches)

Amelia

Enlightened
It never happens. I always have at least 2 lights with me and within arms reach at all times.