*NEW* Fenix TK16 tactical flashlight,1000 lumens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicstone12

Banned
Edit: Possible shilling thread closed.
FYI; While discussion threads are of course permitted, creating a thread by merely posting a website hyperlink & a 'file pic' is not an acceptable discussion opener.

Last edited by a moderator:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool! Never had a TK series. Quite impressed with the PD35 TAC and may add this to my collection someday.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
They made provisions for two lanyard holes?

I have to see this in person, but that single ridge raised for one on tail cap looks awkward.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have liked the looks of this light since I saw the global testing campaign thread. I like how there is a noticeable distance between the two tail switches vs most other brands where the two are almost touching, in my mind it would make it easier to operate by just feel than most other lights like this. I also like the pressure switch for it. This may very well be my next light and first 18650 light.

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
I still have the original TK1 and a TK15, they are great lights.

The TK15 has the mode switch up near the head and I'm sure some pointed out that this would require a hand shift to actuate and they changed it.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although this doesn't apply to me, I still wonder if it would pose a problem for gloved users. Wouldn't it be hard to change mode when wearing gloves?

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
Although this doesn't apply to me, I still wonder if it would pose a problem for gloved users. Wouldn't it be hard to change mode when wearing gloves?

Good point. The TK15 had that complaint as well. The button it it was a very low profile flat button that is somewhat difficult to find without gloves in the dark.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the TK16, then you'd probably like the Nitecore P20 with the paddle switch.

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/html/uploads/2015/03/P20_Camera031.jpg?440581
What's with the lever on the mode switch on the Nitecore? More moving parts subject to dirt and breakage.

Moreover, 14480cd (Fenix) vs. 11100cd (Nitecore), and 1000 lumen (Fenix) vs. 800 lumen (Nitecore).

I know the difference is not much and our eyes will probably not distinguish the difference so easily but then numbers always sells better. I am not seeing much to love about the P20.

Last edited:

AdamDaze

Newly Enlightened
If you like the TK16, then you'd probably like the Nitecore P20 with the paddle switch.

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/html/uploads/2015/03/P20_Camera031.jpg?440581

The one I see quoted a lot for tac uses and this specific use case is the Klarus XT11, XT12 being the usb rechargeable version with a mag connector. That rear paddle looks *solid*

Heres the p20 left, xt11 right to see what I mean. Both pretty solid contenders. Oh and a direct review comparison : http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...switch)-vs-Nitecore-P20-Review-and-comparison

qufwfzE.jpg

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading the comparison of the nitecore and klarus I think Fenix missed the mark by not having the light start in turbo every time. If this light is intended for professional use, as it seems to be, I feel that starting in turbo every time would make the most since so that there was no chance of drawing the light during a situation only to find it on a lower mode and have to cycle through modes to get back to turbo.

The again if they did that most general users would not be interested so it seems that having a way to turn mode memory on and off like Eagletac does on the D series would be the best bet.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The paddle activates the switch. The paddle is made of metal not plastic. Breaking the paddle would be one of the last of my concerns. For a LEO application, having the paddle gives instant access to the strobe. Very easy to use.

Yep, the TK16 is 1000 lumens verses the Nitecore P20 being 800 lumens. Do you need UV? If so the P20 is also available with 365nm UV emitter.

I've got the Fenix TK35 and TK35EU lights which both have the same switch arrangement to the TK16. The key difference is that with the TK35, the light barrel is two cells wide verses a cylinder. It's a lot easier to find the switch and the correct orientation verses a cylindrical light. I tried using the lights with gloves on and couldn't detect a difference between the switches.

I own 2 Fenix TK35's, 2 TK41's, 2 TK61's, one of each is a Vinh modified, 2 TK75's and 2 LD75's. I like Fenix lights. For ease of use, the Nitecore P20 is easier to access all of the modes and is faster than the user interface of the TK35, two switch arrangement.

david57strat

Enlightened
In the TK Series, I have the TK15 (S2 Version), the TK22 (original 650 lumen XM-L U2 version), and the TK41 (also, original version), and I love all of them.

I like the dual button switch setup (at the tail switch) of this model. It makes a lot more sense than the secondary side switch on the TK15 and TK22. I oriented the clips on both of those, in line with the secondary side switches, to more easily find them, in the dark.

I've been kind of spoiled by the amazing throw found on the stock Nitecore P25 (which is why I hesitated to buy many more P Series lights of theirs, in spite of the more compact form factor); but the Fenix lights have always been solid contenders, in the single 18650 realm, and I'd love to try this model out, to see how it compares with my TK15 and TK22.

I'm just curious about the tint on this particular XM-L2. In some aspects, I preferred the TK15 (XP-G S2...?), over the TK22 (XM-L U2), since it had much better throw, and was far more neutral, in tint, than the more powerful TK22.

The TK22 had a lot better flood characteristics, though, and the automated step-down wasn't for a full 20 minutes or so, which was very handy, in a lot of instances.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one of these TK16 lights (This would make Fenix #11, for me); but I'll probably wait until I can find one, on sale.

Way to go, Fenix :D

p.s. Is anyone aware of when automated step-down (from the 1000 lumen turbo, to the 400 lumen high mode) occurs, with the new TK16? Is it thermal? Timed? They claim 1 hour, 10 minutes, but there's no way that can be continuous, at 1000 lumens, in a single 18650 body. That would be too good to be true :|

Last edited:

D6859

Enlightened
Would like to know more about it too. Wonder if it's like a tube, within a tube? SWM did that with the T21CS.

I wonder if the light is PWM or current controlled. It says it "assures incredible [...] circuit efficiency". Other lights that I've seen (P12, P20 and XT11) with dual button tailcap are PWM controlled. Maybe that dual layer body is used to control a current controlled driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.