Why don't we see any new XP-L based 1xAAA lights?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, there was the Thrunite Ti Christmas Edition. But as far as I'm concerned, that light is kind of flawed (poor tint and bad mode spacing). However, as flawed as that light may be, it REALLY shows the potential advantages of the XP-L in a 1xAAA light vs the more conventional small die emitters (ie XP-G or XP-E) with its high output, great floody beam, and MUCH higher efficiency (and, therefore, longer runtime at a given brightness level). Yet, over six months after that light came out, we just have more of the same old XP-G and XP-E based lights (including XP-G2 and XP-E2). Why has nobody followed the lead of the Christmas Edition and built a better XP-L based 1xAAA light?

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Its probably because joe consumer sees a more concentrated beam as "brighter" and the same lumen output in a floody pattern as "dimmer".

:D

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the size of an XP-L or XM-L2 emitter in the small reflector of a AAA light, makes it extremely floody. But if that's what the light is designed for, I don't see a reason not to make one with a fat emitter. But it seems like most like the tiny XPE sized emitter, probably for better throw but also perhaps easier to design.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would very much like to buy an AAA light with NW XP-L. Since you can't make a thrower out of a tiny light anyway, it just makes more sense to make them floody for close-up use.

Just got me a NW Ti3. The mode spacings, while not perfect, are actually more practical than both my current AAA lights -- the fake Banggood DQG and the real DQG lights. The middle (low) mode on the Ti3 is bright enough for most of my uses while lasting a good while -- very important for the small AAA battery.

Omenwolf

Newly Enlightened
I love my thrunite Ti XML, it's my keychain light. It the perfect quicky hat clip headlamp with the awesome floods beam.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I love my thrunite Ti XML, it's my keychain light. It the perfect quicky hat clip headlamp with the awesome floods beam.

I like mine too. Small, bright, floody flashlight even if the mode spacing isn't what some want. I like it fine as is. But I'd buy an improved gen 2 as well.

I also have the Thrunite TiS with the XP-G2 in the striking flamed titanium. Beautiful!

Last edited:

jashhash

Enlightened
Yup. It's impossible for an aaa light to have that much throw with such a small reflector. I agree 100% aaa lights should be all about flood. aaa lights should be all about efficiency and run time, squeezing every last photon of light out of that tiny little battery.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Thrunite Titanium Christmas with XP-L. The threads are terribly gritty, the tint is greenish, and it is Low CRI, but on High it is my brightest and floodiest single aaa. I really like the form factor, reversible pocket clip, lightweight and durability of the Thrunite Titanium, but the threads are a deal breaker. FWIW, the Titanium head will fit the Stainless body, solving the gritty thread problem.. and still giving you an XP-L option.

The stainless head also fits the Titanium body, giving you a lighter weight NW option. (Ti3 Stainless is available in NW)

BadHobbit

Newly Enlightened
Although I have mostly throwers, they are shelf queens. Agree that the best use of AAA is flood. And if flood/close-up is the priority, a high CRI (Nichia 219) mule is a mighty sweet EDC. I keep a Vinh-modded Atom on my keychain.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
my keychain has a single aaa Olight modded to 3000k 90CRI XP-L
and I carry a single aaa Thrunite with stock 5700K 70CRI XP-L

AmericanEDC

Newly Enlightened
I have a Thrunite Titanium Christmas with XP-L. The threads are terribly gritty, the tint is greenish, and it is Low CRI, but on High it is my brightest and floodiest single aaa. I really like the form factor, reversible pocket clip, lightweight and durability of the Thrunite Titanium, but the threads are a deal breaker. FWIW, the Titanium head will fit the Stainless body, solving the gritty thread problem.. and still giving you an XP-L option.

The stainless head also fits the Titanium body, giving you a lighter weight NW option. (Ti3 Stainless is available in NW)

Couple weeks ago I sent back that exact light (Amazon) with threads that were impossibly gritty, a tint that was overly green and zero hot spot given that big die on tiny reflector. I never anticipated my dislike of that characteristic?. It was pure flood. Also the split ring hole was cut so thin I knew it would soon fail: 1/2 mm maybe thin. I don't think I'll go XP-L on such a small light again. I've decided that having a hot spot gives me something to aim with while searching for things in a car or movie theater. Just my personal observation/preference now. I had a Fedix e15 and really liked it. The lens is acrylic (not glass) so really got scratched up on my key ring. Other than that it was excellent tint/color, lumens, beam and weight with a single cr123. Uses TIR so no length of a reflector!

My replacement is the Maratac Rev 3 aaa in stainless. I'm very happy with it and the lumen count. My only complaint is that it's really tight to turn one handed which is something I can probably work on and will tonight if I can remember. But none of that titanium grit. I got it in stainless as its on the keychain and I was too scared to go with soft copper or brass.

Interesting question you pose. Maybe people like hot spots like me?

This is XP-G2 R5 but it really puts out some lux!!!

More than 10' in pitch dark

Last edited:

AmericanEDC

Newly Enlightened
I'm hoping the Nichia 219c closes the CREE lumen gap. Newbie here but I'm ordering up a Nichia light this week...haven't decided which one yet. I think I'm tint sensitive.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hoping the Nichia 219c closes the CREE lumen gap.

I think its a tradeoff. I have 2 Nichia N219a, they both measure 4400K and 87 CRI
My Thrunite Christmass XPL and my Maratac Rev3 Copper, both measure 5700K and 70 CRI
I also have an XPL that is 3000K and 90 CRI..

see the pattern?… more CRI, lower Kelvin
what does all that have to do with lumens?
simply put, higher Kelvin with Lower CRI is brighter
here is why: Our flashlight LEDs are "white", which means very blue. They are naturally lacking in CRI in the red spectrum. In order to increase CRI, a phosphor coating is added to the LED.. the coating emits more red, but also blocks the brightness of the LED...

I think thats how it goes :)
this image tells the story.. compare the cool and warm XML for starters watch how color goes down as lumens goes up.. etc also note the XPG, color goes way up, lumens go way down.. etc
alpharadar.jpg

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think thats how it goes :)
this image tells the story.. compare the cool and warm XML for starters watch how color goes down as lumens goes up.. etc also note the XPG, color goes way up, lumens go way down.. etc
alpharadar.jpg

You really can't compare warm XP-G with cool XM-L. Because the XP-G is a lower power emitter, output is going to be lower. Neutral XM-L vs cool XM-L is a more fair comparison. And you notice quite well that you don't lose ALOT of lumens when you go from cool to neutral XM-L. Yet you gain tremendously when it comes to color quality. That's why people like this emitter so much.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
You really can't compare warm XP-G with cool XM-L. Because the XP-G is a lower power emitter, output is going to be lower. Neutral XM-L vs cool XM-L is a more fair comparison. And you notice quite well that you don't lose ALOT of lumens when you go from cool to neutral XM-L. Yet you gain tremendously when it comes to color quality. That's why people like this emitter so much.

good point, it does seem that people who want brightness and throw, favor higher power emitters

Looking just at the two XMLs, as color goes up, throw goes down.… tradeoffs.. it also shows heat and runtime stays the same for the two XMLs, possibly because the power levels match?

in the chart, the xpg has more color, less power, longer runtime, less heat, less throw, less lumens than xml which has less color, uses more power, has shorter runtime, more heat, more throw, more lumens.. than the XPG, which is warmer and higher CRI

I think the merit of the XML, or XPL for the sake of staying on topic, is that it can have higher brightness, at the expense of using more power, and offering less color..

My Thrunite XPL is 5700K and 70 CRI
My N219a aaa Prometheus Beta is 4400K and 87 CRI

basically, the more CRI, the lower the Kelvin.. in this example Kelvin drops 30%, when CRI increases 24%
Thrunite with XPL:
IMG_7836.JPG

Beta with N219a:
IMG_7710.JPG

here is what the Beta tint looks like compared to another 5800k 71 CRI, in my Maratac (I dont have the XPL photo, but the CRI and Kelvin are almost identical to the XPG2 in the Maratac)
IMG_7711.JPG

To summarize, I think the XML and XPL, claim to fame is brighness, not color.. They are popular with high power, high Kelvin, high brightness, throwers, and single AAA are generally not in that category..