Nitecore SRT7

gnappi

Newly Enlightened
OK, I didn't NEED another light, but this one "looked" spectacular on paper and I thought I'd share my thoughts with you all. It has some ideas that really intrigued me.

I do not like multi mode flashlights unless they have a memory function that can give me 100% of the time what I want... a flashlight. No strobe, flashing, dim setting, just one when I want it. I actually prefer single mode lights but the rest of the world must love 3,4 and 5 modes because it's VERY hard to get single mode or memory models.

Anyway, this one has impressive specs but some (to me) useless features listed below. If it has a + I like the feature a - minus means it's unusable to me.

+ It uses 1 x 18650 (or 2 xCR123A useless little buggers) and is fairly compact.
+ 960 lumens. Probably not but it's more than bright enough for me.
+ Ring selector to keep the light on any of the 7 settings 100% of the time.
- No markings on the ring to tell which of the 7 "modes" you last used.
+ Low battery (side mounted LED) indicator
- CHINTZY tail cap switch spring. For ~$80 this spring is like the ones at Wal Mart for $5.00
+/- Seven modes. Fast white flash (-), full bright with 100% dimmer (+), three each red (-the red is very dim in complete dark), green(+), and blue(+) LEDS, all three color(-) cycling flashing, VERY slow rate white strobe (-).
+ Accessory pack with additional square body ring which can keep the light from rolling off a table, a decent wrist strap, spare "o" rings, removable pocket clip, and spare rubber switch button cover.
+ Glass front lens
+ Free holster
+ 5 year warranty (Lets see how getting a replacement works from China)

So what I think happened is this... they started out with some REALLY good ideas which got stuck in design committees and it lost some appeal and usability. The least useful features (or lack of one) are the cycling the three colors, the VERY DIM red selection, and no markings on the selector ring, but you can ignore them. The junk tailcap spring boggles my mind.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
go to the reviews section of the forum. There is a sticky thread there for all of Selfbuilts reviews(hes the most respected reviewer here pretty much)follow the thread to his review site and click on reviews the SRT7 is there. Everything you want to know about it is there. Had mine since it came out been a love hate relationship. Pay attention to his output results they are pretty revealing. The holster is nice. Despite all the moaning Ive done about the SRT7(and 6)they are still great lights despite the chintzy plastic cigar rings. My smart ring on my 7 is actually smoother now after a couple years of use and havnt had anything at all go wrong with it. I just use RCR123s to to really get the most out of the light. The SRT series was Nitecores sales BS at its finest but they are good lights as long as you know what to look out for. The smart ring really is pretty useful.

gnappi

Newly Enlightened
The smart ring really is pretty useful. I just use RCR123s to to really get the most out of the light.

For sure, it's really the only reason I bought it. Why the RCR123's? Brighter, longer runtime? Why not LR123's? Sorry for the Q's but I don't know batteries very well. The Nitecore lit says disposable CR123's (3v) but not LR/RCR (3.6 - 3.7v) Are the rechargeables too hot?

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
100 extra lumens with RCRs. Changes the dynamics of the beam to my eyes. The Nitecore literature says that? First Ive heard of it. Been using RCRs in both my 6 and 7 for awhile now and they crank for sure and dont get to hot they just dont have the run times of 18650s.

gnappi

Newly Enlightened
This is from the ad. I'll stick with the 18650's, I'll take reliability and run time over a bit of brightness.

713120510_o.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts