What are your opinions for lights that deliver the most VALUE from OEMs in 2015?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking about this recently. In 2015 we have very inexpensive lights that basically would be the super lights of just a few years ago.

In several categories: tiny pocket lights, medium 2aa -- one 18650, and large to very big lights what are the lights you can buy right now that you think deliver the most value to the customer. It doesn't need to be all in terms of pure lumen output either. Take into account features, modes, build quality, ergonomics, accessories, etc. What is a light or lights you've purchased pretty recently (even say in 2014) that made you think "wow, I'm getting more than I paid for here!" You can talk flooders, all-around-ers, or pencil beams, but generally just lights overall that would be useful to anyone who buys them.

I'm not trying to be brand oriented here. So let's not make this an argument over what lights or brands are better than each other. Just try to discuss why you like a certain light and others can chime in a civil manner if they disagree or agree. If you do disagree maybe point out features on another light that you think are even better.

thomas_sti_red

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 that I would buy again, no questions asked:
Zebralight SC62w
Fenix TK22 military grey
Definitely my favorites!!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is a light or lights you've purchased pretty recently (even say in 2014) that made you think "wow, I'm getting more than I paid for here!"

I hope you will contribute your Best Bang for the Buck choices also..

Im on a High CRI single AAA quest, with No PWM, and I want a mode that is less than 1 lumen. I have had some lights modified to get there, but the best buy out of the box to meet my criteria is the L3 Illumination L08

In single AA in clickie format still meeting my criteria for High CRI, No PWM, with a sublumen mode, the Best Buy in my limited knowledge, is the L3 Illumination L11C

In Low CRI single AAA, with No PWM, and a sublumen low, my favorite is the Olight i3s because it is so light weight, has such great smooth threads, and my favorire .5 Lumen Low. Aso the Thrunite Ti3 Stainless in NW, is definitely a Best Buy imo.

Amelia

Enlightened
My #1 light of 2105 that makes me say "Wow! I really got my money's worth on that one!" is the EagleTac T25C2 HI pocketable thrower. That thing is PURE GOLD for me, I would happily pay twice as much for it and still grin every time I used it. :)

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Had to think about this for a bit, as I've gotten a number of lights on sale that I'd count as high-value for quality/features when considering price. Leaving bargain-price exceptions aside for the moment, I'd say my highest value purchase was the L3 Illumination L10C Nichia 219B I got when it first came out, around a year ago. It checks all the important boxes for me:

-- great tint, high CRI without being overly warm
-- smooth, floody beam profile, great for everyday use
-- excellent mode spacing on the low end, with moonlight option available (or not, up to you!)
-- decent clip, attached with screws, light can be drawn or pocketed with one hand, without shredding clothes
-- mechanical clicky with low probability of accidental pocket activation
-- always starts on low (or moonlight)
-- 1xAA form factor, long enough to hold comfortably and firmly in my fist, yet petite enough to pocket unobtrusively
-- grippy knurling, but not too aggressive
-- no PWM
-- IPX-8 rating

Of course it's not PERFECT... it COULD be brighter on high, and it COULD have a nicer-feeling/sounding clicky switch... but for $35 list price it sure delivers a lot of features. If I lose or break it, I'll buy the L11C immediately. =)

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
...what are the lights you can buy right now that you think deliver the most value to the customer. It doesn't need to be all in terms of pure lumen output either. Take into account features, modes, build quality, ergonomics, accessories, etc. What is a light or lights you've purchased pretty recently (even say in 2014) that made you think "wow, I'm getting more than I paid for here!" You can talk flooders, all-around-ers, or pencil beams, but generally just lights overall that would be useful to anyone who buys them.

My latest two purchases were the Nitecore TM16 & EC4.

I don't necessarily think I'm getting more than I paid for because I paid for them because I wanted/liked them and I knew from reviews what I was getting.

Admittedly, these lights are way more than what one paid for five years ago, but so are motherboards and HDTVs. Now we have UHD 4K curved TVs with 3D and web access as well as we have computers which have SSDs and bluetooth printers.

Me? I'm very happy with these flashlight purchases and look forward to adding a third light; a Nitecore HC90. Later on, this year/next year, there's a good chance I'll add a ThruNite, TN32 just because it seems to be a special thrower which I can use to impress myself as family and friends don't care.

From these purchases, I'll have to stand down and wait to see what CREE comes up with over the next five years because in the end, CREE is the company who's, in my opinion, really driving the flashlight industry.

Now, about the need for all these expensive high-drain 18650's. They're worse than printers and how much ink they drink down.

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you will contribute your Best Bang for the Buck choices also..

Im on a High CRI single AAA quest, with No PWM, and I want a mode that is less than 1 lumen. I have had some lights modified to get there, but the best buy out of the box to meet my criteria is the L3 Illumination L08

In single AA in clickie format still meeting my criteria for High CRI, No PWM, with a sublumen mode, the Best Buy in my limited knowledge, is the L3 Illumination L11C

In Low CRI single AAA, with No PWM, and a sublumen low, my favorite is the Olight i3s because it is so light weight, has such great smooth threads, and my favorire .5 Lumen Low. Aso the Thrunite Ti3 Stainless in NW, is definitely a Best Buy imo.

Good point. LOL I forgot my own. I think maybe for a small 1 AA light maybe a ThruNite T10. Amazing power for 1AA, but also a decent all around low of 20 lumens. Under 30 dollars.

For 2AA I'm going to say either the "old" Fenix E25 or the newer version with Burst of 260 lumens. I know some people don't like the one button for everything, but I just can't get over how good of a light it is. Very simple once you know how to use it, extremely compact, great throw from the tiny xp-e2, and overall a great all around light for 35 dollars or so. For more powerful 1 18650 lights maybe a Fenix PD35 2014 edition or maybe the new tactical 2015 edition? Or maybe the compatible lights from ThruNite. I just love the idea of 1 18650 lights these days that can do super low and also light up a field. For the higher power (over 1500 lumens) lights using multiple 18650's I don't have as many beans in the rice as I haven't purchased a really powerful light in a long time. Olight, Fenix, and ThruNite are all making amazing lights though under 200 dollars that really wow me these days though.