New UK "duty" rip off.

Phil_B

Enlightened
New UK \"duty\" rip off.

Those of you who have visited the UK know our culture of ripping folk off all the while(instant coffee $2 a cup,no refills,that kind of thing).
I live here and get used to it but this one really hurt.
I bought a couple of used torch (SF) parts from a CPF member and asked that he write just that on the package,and he did(thanks Harold). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The Customs attatched a large value(because they can),then charged me a "handling charge" of $26. WTFIT???
Don't I pay these people to do that? Handle stuff?
Total cost to me,simply to pick up the parcel was a further $43.
I knew I might pay duty and took that chance,but jeez,this isn't duty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
If you chaps want to see England,go to the one in FLA,it's cheaper,warmer,and still full of English folk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Any Ideas on how to avoid this in future? Phil.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New UK

Try "flashlight parts" "gift" or "item for repair"

* the above normally avoid customs charges but remember you will not be able to insure the items for anywhere near their full value.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know the feeling all too well. I had to pay the postie nearly £60 for my M4 order. Not the most pleasant experience at 7.30am!

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

When a government can do that to it's people, and it's happening more and more here in the USA, it's already too late.

Thanks.

Phil_B

Enlightened

The chap I got the gear off did do just that X-RAY,he marked this up as "used flashlight parts" as per my request.
I should have asked him to hide it inside a GLOCK,or a pound of COKE,they'd never find that then.:-D
And to think I pay these to55ers!!!
Phil.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast

So did he enter a value ? that's what customs seem to look at (at least in my experience)

Phil_B

Enlightened

Don't know about that X-Ray,as it went back to the depot(all part of the "service" you know)to be re-delivered tomorrow to my post office.They will also charge me for that too,when I pick it up(only around a dollar (50p)).
I'll hopefully answer that tomorrow on here.
At least I've calmed down now :) Phil.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast

Look on the bright side, it's probably still a lot cheaper than buying from here in the UK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phil_B

Enlightened

I've been to the US and Canada(what a place!) and it breaks my heart to buy anything here now. Wow,those prices....
We get stuffed all ways up.
At least the exchange rate made it cheaper,and paid part of the rip.
...must....be....positive.....money...rip...off.. :-{

LightScene

Enlightened

If you can, have it sent registered. It's a pain to prepare the package for delivery, but it make customs more reluctant to fool with it. It's only $7 on top of air mail.

As was mentioned, have it marked as "used" and "gift" and declare a small value. Since it's registered, it won't get stolen, so you don't have to worry about making an insurance claim.

I'm guessing that a small package won't invoke as much interest as a larger package.

rlhess

Enlightened
Re: New UK Duty Ripoff

Quotes don't work in subjects...

Canada is apparently doing the same thing with a $7.95 "handling" charge for charging the 15% (total) federal and provincial sales taxes.

By the time I sent a friend in Canada an Energizer folding fluorescent lantern, we paid for it 3x:
once for the lantern, once for shipping, once for taxes and handling--and there wasn't even "duty" as we're in a "free trade" agreement.

Cheers,

Richard

brightnorm

Flashaholic

What about "flashlight (parts) for law enforcement use or law enforcement officer", would that make any sort of difference? If questioned you could say you bought it for an LEO friend.

Brightnorm

Phil_B

Enlightened

UPDATE FROM TAXVILLE UK
I just picked up the light from my local P.O. (for which I was charged again-$1).I took it home,all is ok.
I rang the Customs people and asked a very helpful lady (Unusual) for advice and help,including explaining the charges.
She was very sympathetic to my case and said
"There are some people who put slightly lesser values on things,less than £36 for a gift,for example,and these often slip through without duty being applied,and therefore avoid the "handling/clearance" charges"
She went further...
"Obviously these people would be breaking the law,but how would we know? I wouldn't(in my job) recommend you do this as you clearly pay your duty and taxes. I only mention this in passing"
I want to marry her and have her babies.
My guess is that's the best advice I've not been given ;-)

Incedentally,the limit for purchases is only eighteen (yes-18!!!) pounds,about $30.
Also the £13.50 "handling/clearance" charge is raised by "parcel force" a notoriously poor and clumsy organisation,who have the Govt contract to collect your tax/duty at the point of delivery. They even share the same office with the Customs and Excise in Coventry.I thought I paid my shipping in the USA???