Question about a Nitecore EA4

mog1254

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone:

I've not been on for a while and have a question about a Nitecore EA4 Pioneer that I purchased from Ebay in July 2013. While I've seen elsewhere about problems with the silicone switch falling apart or out- I've not seen my problem posted here or elsewhere. Yesterday I put new AA's in it, hit the switch, and..... nothing but a very dim and 1-2 lumen output. I switched out batteries and still the same. Switch seems to "click" into position, but no output. I've contacted Nitecore 2x in the past about the switch issues, and was basically ignored. Told that I should contact the seller on Ebay. My take on this is that Nitecore should stand behind their products, and not pass the buck. And now it's deader than a cold mackerel. Any thought or suggestions? I'm miffed as I don't care if the warranty expired after a year- there's no way that this light should stop working after only two years.. As always I thank you for your help and input and suggestions. And yes I've contacted the Ebay store with the hopes that someone will stand behind this light. Does it having a Cool White LED shed any "light" (no pun intended) on this? Anyone else have problems with this light? Maybe the circuit board or emitter itself? Thanks.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off welcome back! I got one in 2013 as well and went through two of them in the first year. The first one had the switch melt on it and the second one did the same thing yours is doing and them just quite all together. Luckily mine was purchased through battery junction and they stood behind both of them without any problem. When I contacted Nitecore both times they responded promptly and helped me make sure battery junction solved the issue. Not sure what to suggest other than keep trying the sewer and nitecore and for future purchases use a known seller such as Going Gear, Illumination Gear, Illumn, etc. Good luck!

mog1254

Newly Enlightened
I have checked 2x that the batteries are indeed inserted correctly. Changed them 2 more times with new AA's just in case. Nothing. My old Sunwayman M40A is more reliable even with a lower lumen output. Now I'm looking at these models to replace the Nitecore. I'm not even going to beg Nitecore to help me as they've basically ignored the last two requests for help. One of these three perhaps as a new toy? Fenix TK75 LED Flashlight 2015 (4000 Lumens) - EagleTac MX25L4C 4800 lumens- or the Eagletac MX30L3 with 3300 lumens. I'm glad to be back on. I sure do enjoy all of the great people here. I just wish I could afford more toys.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I could afford more too! If you check out fenix outfitters clearance section they have a 2900 lumen tk75 for 145 and with the coupon app10 it's an extra 10% off. Also don't overlook the TN30 mini, it's a heck of a light for the money and it can be picked up for under 100 bucks if you know where to look, in fact it plus batteries and a charger can be had for under 150.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are welcome, I appreciate when somebody passes a deal onto me so I don't mind doing the same. I would get it myself but it would end up like my other large lights and just sit in their case, I have use for small edc size lights the most now a days.

swordfish2

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest you keep following up with Nitecore only directly as the ebay seller probably got stock from a local distributor or another seller and he will defenitely shy away unless they are direct dealers like "Tac Gunner" Mentioned above. Just get the address of the Nitecore and ship it off to them with a note saying you got it as a gift and dont have the bill. It really doesnt matter where you bought it if its original piece. They should be able to help IMHO.

Enlightened
Hello everyone: I've not been on for a while and have a question about a Nitecore EA4 Pioneer that I purchased from Ebay in July 2013. While I've seen elsewhere about problems with the silicone switch falling apart or out- I've not seen my problem posted here or elsewhere. Yesterday I put new AA's in it, hit the switch, and..... nothing but a very dim and 1-2 lumen output. I switched out batteries and still the same. Switch seems to "click" into position, but no output. I've contacted Nitecore 2x in the past about the switch issues, and was basically ignored. Told that I should contact the seller on Ebay. My take on this is that Nitecore should stand behind their products, and not pass the buck. And now it's deader than a cold mackerel. Any thought or suggestions? I'm miffed as I don't care if the warranty expired after a year- there's no way that this light should stop working after only two years.. As always I thank you for your help and input and suggestions. And yes I've contacted the Ebay store with the hopes that someone will stand behind this light. Does it having a Cool White LED shed any "light" (no pun intended) on this? Anyone else have problems with this light? Maybe the circuit board or emitter itself? Thanks.
I and many others have had the exact same problem with the EA4's bigger brother the EA8. (There are many forum posts about this) In my case, it simply died from too little use. There seems to something wrong with their switch design across their product line. I'm speculating here, they never did get back to me on what was wrong with mine, they sent me a new one. I have a feeling in time, the new one will eventually meet the same fate. I'm avoiding the brand for now.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm going to check on mine today. I have an EA4 that's been in my car unused for at least a year now (also curious to see how those Eneloops are doing). And I have an EA4w in my bedroom closet that also sits without use (Eneloop XX cells in that one).

I know my very early EA4w model drains cells in a matter of days or week(s)!! But it is in lockout which does well, so I check that one as well.