Voltage protection

Lantern32

Enlightened
I'll make this one quick- With protected batteries, do I need a light with voltage protection? It is a 1 led thrower, and runs on 1 18650 that is protected.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
In vinhs' mods, he tweaks them pretty high. There's a good chance a protected cell will trip off on high/turbo modes. Idk the model light you have, it may or may not.
The circuit he uses is designed to protect your batt. I ordinarily run unprotected imr cells in my single cell lights since they all have lo-volt protection & warning. I'm also fairly diligent on cell safety, rarely even let the light go onto protected mode. I like my high modes ready when I need them.

Lantern32

Enlightened
In vinhs' mods, he tweaks them pretty high. There's a good chance a protected cell will trip off on high/turbo modes. Idk the model light you have, it may or may not.
The circuit he uses is designed to protect your batt. I ordinarily run unprotected imr cells in my single cell lights since they all have lo-volt protection & warning. I'm also fairly diligent on cell safety, rarely even let the light go onto protected mode. I like my high modes ready when I need them.
Thanks for that! I'll have him keep the protection on!

Lantern32

Enlightened
Keep in mind, there may be issues with battery not keeping up!.... But there's nothing wrong with starting slow. Use the higher end batteries for better performance! :)
Not sure about that :whistle: I have 4: Protected nitecore 3400 and 2600mah batteries. They seem to run my nitecore TM26 at turbo just fine! I'm debating getting some RCR123 batteries from AW to run my TM 26 because they run at a higher voltage when paired up. Voltage sag is a killer on that light since it is running 4 XML-U3 emitters at 4k lumens! haha

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about that :whistle: I have 4: Protected nitecore 3400 and 2600mah batteries. They seem to run my nitecore TM26 at turbo just fine! I'm debating getting some RCR123 batteries from AW to run my TM 26 because they run at a higher voltage when paired up. Voltage sag is a killer on that light since it is running 4 XML-U3 emitters at 4k lumens! haha

You still get my point. ;)
Most of my lights won't run turbo on protected cells..... I use single cell lights tho.... Tweaked by me.
Some want over 8A. They like imr cells.
I have one light, 4s that will do max on protected but only high quality, and they still kick-off before danger levels. I don't use that light allot, it's inconvenient, but I get better performance when running balanced, unprotected cells.
Guess some exp, comfortability with tech, etc impacts that.

Lantern32

Enlightened
You still get my point. ;)
Most of my lights won't run turbo on protected cells..... I use single cell lights tho.... Tweaked by me.
Some want over 8A. They like imr cells.
I have one light, 4s that will do max on protected but only high quality, and they still kick-off before danger levels. I don't use that light allot, it's inconvenient, but I get better performance when running balanced, unprotected cells.
Guess some exp, comfortability with tech, etc impacts that.
If I ran a light on unprotected cells running at 8 AMPS... the light would explode before I even knew something was wrong! Maybe I prefer my lights to get a little too hot :). I do get your point. I might need to pick up some unprotected cells from Panasonic...

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I ran a light on unprotected cells running at 8 AMPS... the light would explode before I even knew something was wrong! Maybe I prefer my lights to get a little too hot :). I do get your point. I might need to pick up some unprotected cells from Panasonic...

They are fun! And fyi, haven't poofed a lamp yet ;) but I'm insane so, Wada I kno? Lmcfao

Lantern32

Enlightened
They are fun! And fyi, haven't poofed a lamp yet ;) but I'm insane so, Wada I kno? Lmcfao
Haha, you got skills! I use to have an old HID lamp, and I had 2 car batteries hooked up in a backpack as my power source... It had a temperature sensor in it to protect the light, and I disconnected it so it would run on max beam as long as I wanted. I also went to a machine shop and machined a large heatsink with many small, deep fins. Stuck it to the light with heat paste. It was pretty insane. The metal on the wires connected to the batteries got soo hot that they melted holes in my backpack! Did I mention I boosted the output of the lamp too? The thing caught on fire eventually, but it was well worth it!

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't feel like that's really a viable means of combating voltage sag in a high current draw light.

Get some cells that will better handle the current draw, don't just try to increase the voltage by using smaller capacity cells.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wrong word, but there are 30 and 80 amp cells smaller than I believed before someone told me about them.

the light would explode
I thought it was pretty awesome and that CPF should know about it! Shouldn't say "explode," though. It's kind of the wrong word. :)

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
If somebody had to reach for the dullest tack in the box, they would get me.

The point, I use a decent charger (Nitecore D4) and protected 18650s. In doing so, if the flashlight is protected or unprotected, I don't have to worry about hurting my brain with worry.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just like ParrotQuack, protected offers me blissful ignorance of having to watch for signs.
Life is good, ymmv.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly, I'll be using my lights during simple times and stressful times, no need to compound the stressed times anymore worrying about destroying my lights or cells, because I needed them to their limits.
There are cavalier attitudes around here IMO, about protected an non protected cells, I won't be swayed by that.
If the cells were as ubiquitous as NiMH AA, and cost as little, I'd be the same maybe, but here cells are as much as the lights themselves and hard to acquire.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read the reviews for the much more expensive Orbtronic (Panasonic inside), protected 18650 batteries and they have the best reviews of all the available high drain 18650 batteries found on Amazon. Why's that?

I use protected, Panasonic NCR18650B batteries for comparison purposes.

Last edited:

Lantern32

Enlightened
I've read the reviews for the much more expensive Orbtronic (Panasonic inside), protected 18650 batteries and they have the best reviews of all the available high drain 18650 batteries found on Amazon. Why's that?

I use protected, Panasonic NCR18650B batteries for comparison purposes.

Not sure! I bought the M2Xvn, so I am using a Panasonic unprotected high-drain battery. I just make sure my voltage doesn't get to 3.4 volts...