AA LED light sugestions for new guy?

Justin 359

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this community. Been looking around online at TONS of videos and reviews etc. looking for a light. I thought it time to finally come on here and ask for suggestions based on my requirements. Any help narrowing it down between the million options would be great. The Fenix

Requirements:
1. AA batteries (2 or 4 of them, doesn't matter, but of course 2 preffered)
2. Multiple lumen stages (max 500, just don't see the point beyond that and its more difficult to get witih AA anyways, would prefer the longer run time at less lumens (230 and up)
3. Similar size to Fenix PD35/Thrunite TN12
4. SOS mode (and also strobe if possible)
5. Click button on tail activated (even better if change modes from there too)

I won't put a budget requirement as I'm willing to pay for a good quality item. Don't want cheap and dinky. I loved the Fenix PD35 and Thrunite TN12 until I found out they weren't AA flashlights. Then I found the Thrunite Neutron 2A V2 which seemed perfect (AA operated, could do 230 lumens for 4hrs and still had the high turbo option if you wanted it) but the reviews complained of bad battery drain problems. Perhaps there are a couple of key raved-about lights from other brands I haven't heard of that are AA and offer long run-times in the 250-500 lumen range that have the nice sleek and/or tactical look of the PD35/Thrunite TN12?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, missing out on that PD35, but I do understand.
Maybe check out Olight S15 with extension tube, very similar tactical look.
Or, if you can give up that look a Zebralight Sc5.
They've a unique look of their own. It works but doesn't attract me that way.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are no 2xAA lights out there with 500 lumens. But the Eagletac D25A2 with the XM-L2 emitter comes close. I recommend the neutral emitter. Output is a little less. But I challenge you to notice it. And the neutral emitter pays you BIG dividends in terms of not having that nasty, bluish output.

The aforementioned SC5w will get you 500 lumens. But keep in mind that 1xAA lights and alkaline batteries don't really mix, at least on the higher settings. Also, keep in mind that the SC5 will only stay on the 500 lumen setting for three minutes before dropping to 304 lumens. And the current draw both drains batteries quickly and requires that you use not only NiMH, but the very best NiMH AA batteries.

Honestly, if you want to run AA batteries AND want a sustained 500 lumens, you will need to go 4xAA. 4xAA is roughly equal to 1x18650 in terms of brightness and runtime. Good 4xAA lights include the Nitecore EA41, Fenix E41/LD41, Sunwayman D40A, Thrunite TN4a, and Jetbeam SRA40. Keep in mind that only the Sunwayman D40A and Thrunite TN4a offer neutral emitters. And because of the larger diameter of these lights, they tend to use larger, throw-oriented reflectors. They won't provide the area lighting of a small reflector 1x18650 light. This may or may not be a good thing for you, depending on what you want.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore EA11 will do 860 Lumens with an IMR 14500(AA size rechargeable battery), but in a crisis can do 160 lumens on a regular AA, will also do 5 modes with strobe & SOS on the Eneloop NIMH rechargeable battery. Doesn't fit all your criteria precisely, but well worth looking at.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought that recalled TN Archer pulled big lumens from double AA?

Are you thinking of the ThruNite Neutron 2A V2?

It has had some problems. Many of them are discussed here.

As far as I know, the ThruNite Archer 2A V2 does not share these problems. In addition, the Archer has a momentary, "forward clicky" tactical switch, something the OP is looking for. The Neutron does not. Maximum output for the neutral-white version of the Archer is rated at 430 lumens. Below are the output ratings for all of its modes. I copied them from the ThruNite web site, www.thrunite.com.

• Firefly: 0.11 lumens (672 hours)
  • Low: 15 lumens (96 hours)
  • Medium: 69 lumens (11 hours)
  • High: 430 lumens (100 minutes)
  • Strobe: 430 lumens (140 minutes)
The Archer has a strobe mode, but no SOS mode. You can read an excellent review by CPF member Selfbuilt here. I prefer the neutral-white version, but tint preference is a personal thing. As it happens, the neutral-white version sells for about $10 less (USD) than the cool-white version.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you thinking of the ThruNite Neutron 2A V2?

It has had some problems. Many of them are discussed here.

As far as I know, the ThruNite Archer 2A V2 does not share these problems. In addition, the Archer has a momentary, "forward clicky" tactical switch, something the OP is looking for. The Neutron does not. Maximum output for the Archer is rated at 430 lumens. Below are the output ratings for all of its modes. I copied them from the ThruNite web site, www.thrunite.com.

• Firefly: 0.11 lumens (672 hours)
  • Low: 15 lumens (96 hours)
  • Medium: 69 lumens (11 hours)
  • High: 430 lumens (100 minutes)
  • Strobe: 430 lumens (140 minutes)
The Archer has a strobe mode, but no SOS mode. You can read an excellent review by CPF member Selfbuilt here. I prefer the neutral-white version, but tint preference is a personal thing. As it happens, the neutral-white version sells for about $10 less (USD) than the cool-white version.
Yes, you are correct sir thank you.
Wasn't quite sure.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the Nitecore EA11, HOWEVER, Its a single cell light with a incredible light output potential. But, you want a multi cell.

I like the Sunwayman AA lights. I have a few of them.
Check these out:
Sunwayman M20A (This one fits your criteria the best)

These don't match up with your criteria due to not being tail cap clicky, but take a look maybe?
Sunwayman D40A (Not a tail cap clicky)
Sunwayman M30A (3 AA light with a rotary control) I know you said click tail cap, but worth looking at, Super nice light.

Footnote: Since we don't know your intended use, it is hard to have other suggestions for use. That is assuming you want some. lol I always tell folks that are looking for AA's to get a single cell light that can also use a 14500 cell. The reason why is that you can carry a 4 AA holder in your pocket (or velcro to your had) with 2 Eneloop AA's and 2 Efest 14500 cells. So now you have 3 standard cells to use, and 2 flame thrower cells in a emergency. I always have this set up in my hunting or fishing bag. Because if I am going to use strobe in a emergency situation, I want MAX output. Of course you could carry any combo of batteries you like. So you could spares like 2 Duracell primaries, 1 Eneloop rechargeable, and 1 14500 for emergencies. You get the idea.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are no 2xAA lights out there with 500 lumens.

Armytek Prime A2, with the 5500K cool white LED. I have the 4000K warm version, and I measure about 460 lumens, so I think the cool version should be 500 lumens as it lists. Nice 2xAA light, very tough, good mode spacing, good UI, good run times. Awful clip design, though, so I don't use the clip.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA and offer long run-times in the 250-500 lumen range that have the nice sleek and/or tactical look of the PD35/Thrunite TN12?

run time and lumens are a trade off, and AA batteries are 43% longer form factor than CR123, so the lights wont look the same.

this is a good choice for your criteria imo:
the ThruNite Archer 2A V2

I would add this Eagle Tac D25A2 option to the mix
http://www.eagletac-usa.com/products/product.aspx?pid=36-38-7126

and a couple comments on brightness.. imo, its overrated. Its the first spec I as a new person learned to compare, but after that I started to realize more subtle differences that are important to me. For example, I really dislike blue tint and low CRI, at this stage of my use for lights. So I now seek out lights with N219 LEDs.. They have for me, much better color rendition, which comes with warmer tint, and less raw lumens.

Different than you, I want small and light units, so I would never consider a 2 AA light, for myself. I also wont use Alkaline batteries, since I adopted rechargeable Eneloop batteries.

Welcome to the forum, hang on to your wallet. I predict you will buy more than one light if you keep hanging around here :)

drmaxx

Enlightened
Made good experiences with the Quark from Foursevens. I do understand that a new updated series is available. They have different bodies and the 2AA fits your bill. However, if you want to be elegant at a wedding you also can go with a more discreet 1AA tube....

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Q:AA LED light sugestions for new guy?
A: http://flashlights.parametrek.com/

Click "battery," then tick the checkbox for AAx2. 81 matches at time of posting. :)

You're welcome, new guy! Post back here with stuff you're considering. Chances are extremely high that one of us has that light.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
My point was that Zebralight makes single AA that does what a 2*AA does in a smaller package,
minus some slight runtime, that's all. Sorry for not being specific.
Slight runtime? Lol, all 14 minutes of it on h1! :) That said, yeah... I want it.

Pocket rocket versus duty light, I guess? :shrug: I get pretty good runtimes on my Sunwayman D20a Gemini aax2 light, but the burst really eats the batteries before it steps down to high. Always turns on the white first in turbo. Gotta stop the burst ASAP and hit high or medium to get any runtime.