Even cooler LED bike light

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Check out this light:
http://www.gallsinc.com/shop/viewProductDetail.jsp?item=LE337

This is a common VisaLight bike LED light but is call the Polizia. It flashes red and blue LED's in a pattern similar to Whelen's commet flash (for those strobe light freaks like me.)

I just got one to play with (OK, give to my 3 year old who wanted a "fire truck light.") This thing is the ultimate geek LED bike light (and perfect for those who are involved in law enforcement bike patrol.) I know a few so I am going to have to tell them about it. I dare not put it on my bike...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by skotw:
Check out this light:
http://www.gallsinc.com/shop/viewProductDetail.jsp?item=LE337

This is a common VisaLight bike LED light but is call the Polizia. It flashes red and blue LED's in a pattern similar to Whelen's commet flash (for those strobe light freaks like me.)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this uses blue LEDs and only two "AA" batteries, there's got to be a step-up inverter in there somewhere. This is the first blue bike like I've seen.

I have a module that has 8 red and 8 blue LEDs that flash & fade in various patterns. It uses a PIC microcontroller to do the dirty work, and the whole mess runs from +12 volts.
Much as I'd love to, I don't dare install this in my wheelchair, or I'll go straight to the can for impersonating a police officer!!

Another controller board I have is connected to approximately 160 ultra bright red LEDs. This one is fair game because it doesn't have the "illegal" color in it.
How about that for a unique third stop light or as a tail light for a wheelchair or bicycle? Pressing a button changes the pattern, or it can be locked in a demo loop.
The memory is retained even with no power, so it will always come on with the last-used pattern.

It will eventually be tested, photographed, and given space on my LED website.

h
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

------------------

D

**DONOTDELETE**

There are two ultra bright blue's in the light. It is running on two AA's so I too presume that it is running some sort of step-up, probably a capacitor pump-charge.

I have not torn it apart yet becuase it is too new and the novelty has not worn off but that will happen eventually. It is pretty bright. I doubt the blue diodes are Nichia but probably Panasonic like the ones in DigiKey. The color looks very similar.

Craig, I have found a ton of emergency vehicle LED warning lights using blue, red, and amber but no one has used white yet. Whelen Engineering seems to be leading the way in LED emergency lights - www.whelen.com

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telephony:
If this uses blue LEDs and only two "AA" batteries, there's got to be a step-up inverter in there somewhere. This is the first blue bike like I've seen.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I finally took it apart. It is almost identical to the regular Vista lights except for the alternating sets. No step up for the blue diodes. I kind of suspected this because the blues are not as bright as they should be and examining the circuit confirms this. It is still very cool however.

Craig, you should just put that blue/red light on your chair. All the cops that I know would get a kick out of it and in no way would get the impression that you were impersonating a law enforcement officer. Take pictures and post 'em!

Scott

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by skotw:
OK, I finally took it apart. It is almost identical to the regular Vista lights except for the alternating sets. No step up for the blue diodes. I kind of suspected this because the blues are not as bright as they should be and examining the circuit confirms this. It is still very cool however.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's something that might give those blue LEDs a little more kick: replace the batteries with LITHUM "AA" (Energizer L91).
Since the LEDs can already run at 3 volts (barely), a few tenths of a volt more will - or should - make ALL the difference, especially if the red and blue alternate, rather than flash in unison.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Craig, you should just put that blue/red light on your chair. All the cops that I know would get a kick out of it and in no way would get the impression that you were impersonating a law enforcement officer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, this gives me essentially two days to transfer the entire EPS network out of my old chair and into the new. If I can do that, maybe I'll stick that light on for my New Year's Eve schtick.

If successful, I'll post pictures.

------------------

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Craig, you should just put that blue/red light on your chair. All the cops that I know would get a kick out of it and in no way would get the impression that you were impersonating a law enforcement officer. Take pictures and post 'em!
Scott
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here are some pictures of some temporary LED lights and one permanent one I just finished putting on my chair.

y2k1-1.jpg

Red and blue "cop" taillight.
This light has a number of different operating modes, all running in a self-repeating program. The LED colors were very difficult to capture because the things are so bright.

y2k1-2.jpg

This is the yellow LED headlamp.
It is about as bright as a motorcycle headlamp, and is one of the permanent lights (that is, they won't be pulled after the New Year's party).

y2k1-3.jpg

And this is the blinding "antenna light".
It too uses a multiple PIC program, which can either be set to auto-repeat, or single modes can be picked via a pushbutton switch.
This one is so bright I had to stick some junk in series with the circuit, or everybody within 20 or 30 feet of the back of the wheelchair would be temporarily blinded.

All of these operate from a 12 volt 17Ah gell cell battery I installed under the seat.

------------------

DaveH

Enlightened
About the time I get ready to buy something, something else comes along.

Is the "antenna light" on your site somewhere? I think I missed it.

Thanks,
DaveH

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaveH:
About the time I get ready to buy something, something else comes along.

Is the "antenna light" on your site somewhere? I think I missed it.

Thanks,
DaveH
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Dave, these aren't for sale anywhere the typical hobbyist could find them.
These were sent by an OEM as part of a "care package" full of unused and/or obsolete and/or broken LED-related goodies.

Three of the PIC microcontroller flashers worked, a few did not, some came with burnt-out LEDs and other components - this is mostly just experimental stuff the original builder grew tired of or found unsuitable for the intended application for one reason or other. To me, they're GROOVY playthings and nice safety accessories.
smile.gif

Once I get the EPS net on my chair wired into a more permanent form (this means dressing cable, adding mode converters, filters, and plug-in junctions; and weatherproofing the whole mess), I might start adding some of these as permanent fixtures as well.
But for now, I just kind of "rat wired" everything together for a one-time use.
It ain't pretty, but it works.
blush.gif

------------------

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by telephony on 12-31-2000 at 03:00 PM</font>

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
A word of advice: DON'T use or display the red/blue combo of lights on anything that has wheels unless you're a police officer. I don't know how each state treats this, but up here in the great NW, displaying red and blue together is definitely a no-no.

This "Polizia" bike light is probably meant for bicycle officers and no one else.
It might make a nice PARTY LIGHT for indoors, though.

------------------

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telephony:
A word of advice: DON'T use or display the red/blue combo of lights on anything that has wheels unless you're a police officer. I don't know how each state treats this, but up here in the great NW, displaying red and blue together is definitely a no-no.

This "Polizia" bike light is probably meant for bicycle officers and no one else.
It might make a nice PARTY LIGHT for indoors, though.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, this light is intended for law enforcement bike patrol. If put on a car, I doubt anyone would pull over for you but an LE officer seeing this would probably stop a car.

I will use mine for marking my car while parked on the side of a road durning night mountain rescue operations. Easier on the car battery than the 4-way flashers. Then again, I might make a nice amber flashy light similar to Craig's chair set-ups. Looks good Craig!

Scott