want to use this, not sure how yet

floki

Newly Enlightened
So I've had this old computer heatsink laying around. And I've been wanting to turn it into a LED fixture for some time now. I'm thinking spot/flood light combo. I don't care so much for looks at the moment, more for functionality. Here's what it looks like, with an emitter for size reference
84308863-9E71-4B50-8448-EFCAAAE70A95_zpsf0szljyj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
C59D9E96-0385-4A94-885C-7AB38C22ACF8_zpsdwjohwke.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Its a big heat sink. I'd like it to have two on/off switches, one for throw, one for flood. I'd also like the flood to be dimmable or programable. The throw can be left alone to turn at max brightness as needed.

What I need help with is what drivers and leds should I be looking at, I'm hoping to fit at least 5 emitters on this heat sink. Possibly four of the five to be three-up chips, to increase flood brightness. I'd like the flood/throw to be overkill up to 200 yards. Personally I like a warm tint that you can see and make out forest colors with.
Also a good place to look for reflectors and lenses would be nice. Not sure what size or type of reflector yet or if I'll even use one. I think with the dual functionity I'm hoping to achieve, is going to limit me to using the smaller led optic reflectors that mount to the chip directly.

As far as batteries/power source goes, I'm looking for ideas on that one still. I'd like it to use an external battery pack that can carried via shoulder strap or hooked on a belt or backpack... So not to heavy. But I'd like to get at least a few hours throw time at max brightness, and a few hours flood time at max brightness. More usable hours at lower brightness settings.

Am I look at an impossible project or can it be done. I'm not looking to break my bank, but I dont want a totally cheapo light either.

Lastly this light does not have a host yet, I figured I'd get all the internals and what not figured out first. Then build/fabricate a housing unit after.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know those cheap 6v "lantern battery" lights at wally's for $4 and it comes with a free battery? I have an unfinished build a little like what you're talking about. Just haven't gotten done with it yet.

Two or three AAx4 carriers approximately fit plus a computer heat sink. Wire them in parallel for higher capacity. Without modding, I can almost get the ring and lens back on with the heat sink I've got.

Sounds like you'll want a rotary switch to select which LED lights up.

As far as drivers, they're a dime a dozen. TaskLED has some options for you. Might also check the drivers section of Illumination Supply, they're CPF friendly so I try to support them. I suggest only 1 driver and use a rotary switch to select outputs.

Not an impossible dream, quite doable, quite cheap.

floki

Newly Enlightened
nxt time i go up to wally's I'll check em out. I'll check out TaskLED.

I've been using raipdled and ledsupply. But there product lines are geared more for fixtures than mobile lights and supplies.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oceans of room in those hosts, plenty of room for the driver of your choice. Taskled has all sizes, think I've got the one that's about the size of a postage stamp, 1/4" thick.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Taskled drivers are excellent and you will not be disappointed. You can also get good ones from lumileds, cutter, and others. Meanwell makes a vast array of AC and some DC (I think) powered ones that are available through distribution.

For really cheap ones, try dx.com.

Before you go driver shopping, you should have a good idea what the input voltage and output voltage/current requirements are. You also want to be aware of what 'modes' you want and/or are willing to take. A good fraction of the Taskled drivers are programmable, which can be a big plus.