New! Nitecore EF1

markr6

Flashaholic
Looks like an interesting light. We all need an explosion proof light :) I'm guessing 1x18650?

EF1.jpg

Cree XM-L2 U3
830lm

But I'm still waiting on that EC4S!!!

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm curious about what makes this light explosion proof?

I have no idea, but the head does look somewhat unique. I'm guessing there's something going on there.

The lamp housing is able to withstand an internal explosion without damage and prevent inflammation of the environment.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are those screws on the head? Screws on a flashlight make me uneasy because all I can picture is loose screws, stripped threads, lost screws, lost of water-resistance or waterproofing.

AdamDaze

Newly Enlightened
More approved for use in hazardous environments, able to self-contain battery failure, not permit gas ingress, or not transmit spark to exterior from normal operation. THat's my guess.

markr6

Flashaholic
Are those screws on the head? Screws on a flashlight make me uneasy because all I can picture is loose screws, stripped threads, lost screws, lost of water-resistance or waterproofing.

It looks more like some type of rivet.

Chaitanya

Banned
Here is a pre-order link I found on this light. Most details are still unknown. Looks like another interesting light from Nitecore.
nitecore-ua.com/en/product/fonar-vzryvozashishennyj-nitecore-ef1-6-1164/

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it has a rubber balloon to contain any gas discharged during a venting?
Button must swell something fierce.

Edit, forgot my ☺

d88

Newly Enlightened
If it has a metal body then as a 'safety' light it's pretty much useless as a metal on metal contact may create a spark which in turn could ignite a highly combustible element.

It is interesting though an explosion proof light is being sold in the Ukraine at the moment, especially with what's happening in that region.

Rider57

Newly Enlightened
If it has a metal body then as a 'safety' light it's pretty much useless as a metal on metal contact may create a spark which in turn could ignite a highly combustible element.

It is interesting though an explosion proof light is being sold in the Ukraine at the moment, especially with what's happening in that region.

Maybe all the internal components are isolated from the metal body to avoid sparks, maybe

AdamDaze

Newly Enlightened
It's not a matter of electrically generated sparks, it's a matter of metal rubbing against metal friction causing sparks. Battery could be out entirely. However, as the body is "aerospace grade aluminium", it won't (Aluminium simply doesn't spark in the way d88 suggests).

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
AdamDaze & D88 are correct. The "Explosion proof" lights I used many years ago were all Plastic. The Safety Guy called them Explosion proof, but really it was spark proof. We could only have "plastic" lights. More like non conductive, he called them Explosion Proof. At the time I remember, Streamlight Poly, surefire G, or Pelicans. They had to have a lanyard that was Secured to your person at all times. Electrical Contact was the issue in this case.

So I guess I am saying, there could be many meanings of explosion proof. One light that is sealed from gases, one that is non conductive. I did a quick search of other Explosion Proof lights and found both plastic and Aluminum lights are available.
So this is kinda interesting.

I would like to see a review on this light.
The light is IP67 rated. I found this online:
Protected from total dust ingress.Protected from immersion between 15 centimeters and 1 meter in depth.

But........can you imagine some fool getting any of these lights and using some UltraFIRE batteries off eBay in series! Our safety guy never checked to see if you have quality authentic batteries. I keep thinking one day we will read a story of some great calamity due to knock off batteries in a flashlight.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
But........can you imagine some fool getting any of these lights and using some UltraFIRE batteries off eBay in series! Our safety guy never checked to see if you have quality authentic batteries. I keep thinking one day we will read a story of some great calamity due to knock off batteries in a flashlight.

I don't know what you mean by "great calamity", but there are already several examples on CPF of cells going off...results up to and including permanent health damage, extended hospital stays, and property damage. If you are waiting for a Hindenburg-type disaster, I hope it never happens, but those stories are more than enough to keep me away from *****Fire cells.

markr6

Flashaholic
Well it's not for those fussy about looks, really, is it.

I would say definitely not.

Hopefully the sliding switch gains some interest for "normal" flashlights as well. I think that would be great as long as the size increase could be kept to a minimum.