Wuben        
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Okluma TinyDC

Flashaholic

Default Re: Okluma TinyDC

They look very nice! Looking forward to titanium or copper light.

Quote: "The OD on my light is .990". I believe that's the same OD as Mac's, but I don't know for sure."

Mac's = .99 x 3.40
    Last edited by Ladd; 08-02-2015 at 10:13 AM.
    Thanks, CPF!

I'd be in for a host also if you change your mind...

Quote Originally Posted by oneinthaair View Post
    I'd be in for a host also if you change your mind...
    Actually... I was thinking about that more. I don't know why I wouldn't just sell the host.

Should it include anything besides the pill and body? Like the glass, gasket and orings maybe?

Flashaholic*

I would be interested in a host. I would need o-rings/lens/gasket.

An alternative would be to ask if I can supply my own Sinkpad star mounted with Osram Hi CRi or Hyper Red emitters.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    I would be interested in a host. I would need o-rings/lens/gasket.

An alternative would be to ask if I can supply my own Sinkpad star mounted with Osram Hi CRi or Hyper Red emitters.
    Ok, I'll plan on just offering hosts then too.

I've decided to create a mailing list to notify everyone about availability. I'll update this thread as well, but the email will go out first. If you want to sign up, the link is: http://eepurl.com/bu0JAT

Flashaholic*

Oh, thats nice news. So what could be the price of a host, rings, lens, gasket inclusive?

Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    Oh, thats nice news. So what could be the price of a host, rings, lens, gasket inclusive?
    I need to give it some thought, but in the 200-220 range.

Quote Originally Posted by oklumen View Post
    Actually... I was thinking about that more. I don't know why I wouldn't just sell the host.

Should it include anything besides the pill and body? Like the glass, gasket and orings maybe?
    Host should include

Host body
    Pill
    Gaskets
    Switch

Option for drilled with clip
    Option for drilled without clip
    Not drilled

Ok I just found this thread thanks to your fb post. I'm so damn excited to see a new builder creating such a sweet setup. I'm also excited to see what other designs you come up with in the future. This design with capacity for an 18650 also means two 18350 which means it could drive an XHP70!! That kind of makes me turned on. Please consider that as I will be first in line.
    WTB Surefire M1 (interested even if you only have the body.)

Flashaholic*

Well since we are pushing Oklumen along the road to a great lego light... While it is too early to propose anything like that, but I always wanted to have a triple host with a twisty tail, as much as 15mm shorter one. Which ideally means a split tube with a thread for either a clicky tail or a twisty.

Well since we are pushing Oklumen along the road to a great lego light...
    I hadn't thought of it like that, but I really really like that. Great idea, I'm super stoked. Sounds like a longer body to accommodate the length of a 18650 would be popular. What else would you guys want to see?

While it is too early to propose anything like that, but I always wanted to have a triple host with a twisty tail, as much as 15mm shorter one. Which ideally means a split tube with a thread for either a clicky tail or a twisty.
    Hmmm... Care to send me a drawing? A rough sketch would work.

Oh wow. This is cool. Id have to see these new options. Great ideas.

Flashaholic*

Well, I think that the original mac's weakest point was its incompatibility with anything. So frankly, I'd redesign a TinyEDC it to make it compatible with Surefire e-series. I am sure a lot of people badly want a good head or body for their existing stock of parts.

A really great thing about your Aluminum light is that it is moderately priced. You know, when you buy a $700+ Titanium light you tend to think of it as a "grail" light rather than a platform for legoing. With this light I would buy a couple heads just to experiment with different emitters. Also as soon as I settle with some favorite emitters I'd want to use couple of different bodies for different occasions. For example a clipless cr2 body (e-series compatibale, which I already have) for home use or your prospective 18650 body for a long hike. Compatibility with a popular platform is a good thing.

EDIT: of course, an e series to mac adapter would be an easier solution
    Last edited by ma tumba; 08-03-2015 at 02:37 PM.

Nice design!
    I'll keep an eye on this thread

Well, I think that the original mac's weakest point was its incompatibility with anything. So frankly, I'd redesign a TinyEDC it to make it compatible with Surefire e-series. I am sure a lot of people badly want a good head or body for their existing stock of parts.
    The problem with E-series and 18mm cells is the relation of bore diameter to minor thread diameter. The difference leaves you with about 0.45mm of material with a 18.65mm bore. You can make the bore a little smaller but you'll start having fit issues with most "18mm" cells. The area under the o-ring is also very very thin (I don't have the exact numbers in front of me right now). If you do a search, you should find some cases where body tubes have actually broken at the threads. This is the reason why there aren't a ton of 18mm compatible E-series lights. About 10 years ago, Tranquility Base pioneered the E-series split body, which solved this issue.

I say all this to say, proceed carefully with an 18mm E-series light. The 7/8-28 UNF threading on Mac's lights was born out of necessity, not convenience.

Compatibility with a popular platform is a good thing.
    In general, I agree with this if and only if compatibility is prioritized over aspects such as size, shape, thermal management, etc... As we're starting to see with the P60 platform, compatibility is actually beginning to hold back progress.
    On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

You guys are going too far off design intent. This is meant to be Mac like. Not e-series compatible. E-series is cool but it's dated. Circuits are tiny with few good options, and 18650 usage is spotty at best. Lego capability is cool but don't try to change all the original design parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    You guys are going too far off design intent. This is meant to be Mac like. Not e-series compatible. E-series is cool but it's dated. Circuits are tiny with few good options, and 18650 usage is spotty at best. Lego capability is cool but don't try to change all the original design parameters.
    Yes. My suggestion would be to build a base following with the Okluma TinyDC as offered herein. The original Mac had a huge following for good reason, and still does. Maybe offer in additional materials.
    Last edited by Ladd; 08-03-2015 at 03:35 PM.
    Thanks, CPF!

Are the parts interchangeable with macs'? Can I use your Okluma body with macs's head?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat703 View Post
    Are the parts interchangeable with macs'? Can I use your Okluma body with macs's head?

Appears to be, according to the OP
    Thanks, CPF!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladd View Post
    Yes. My suggestion would be to build a base following with the Okluma TinyDC as offered herein. The original Mac had a huge following for good reason, and still does. Maybe offer in additional materials.
    I agree. I love E-Series compatible stuff; that's what makes Legoing SF, Malkoff, McGizmo parts together so fun. But it is a whole different beast.

I'd stick with this type of design, get some sales rolling, maybe try some copper, brass, and of course TITANIUM lights to get get a nice little fan base. Then maybe branch out to something more radical if you have the ambition and it seems like the market is there. It would be a drag to spend a hundred hours and tons of material designing something only to sell three units. Haha.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    Agreed. Keep it Mac like.

So ... @oklumen , several pages into one of your first build threads, you've gotten a "few" suggestions ... from "keep everything the same" to "change every aspect of your design" (lol)

... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    So ... @oklumen , several pages into one of your first build threads, you've gotten a "few" suggestions ... from "keep everything the same" to "change every aspect of your design" (lol)

hahaha!!! so true...
    i welcome the dark

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post

Which means that its future is bright indeed

Which means that its future is bright indeed
    Let's hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I'd stick with this type of design, get some sales rolling, maybe try some copper, brass, and of course TITANIUM lights to get get a nice little fan base.
    Titanium and the necessary tools have been ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by oklumen View Post
    Titanium and the necessary tools have been ordered.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Based on how quick the few aluminum lights went, this will be an exciting thread to watch when the Titanium lights go up.

Default Okluma TinyDC

Yes!!! Copper or brass?
    i welcome the dark

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast