Wuben        
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Okluma TinyDC

Default Re: Okluma TinyDC

The first TinyDC is in the wild! Prelim impressions and some comparison pics with a Tri EDC to come later.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    The first TinyDC is in the wild! Prelim impressions and some comparison pics with a Tri EDC to come later.
    Oh Man... This should be interesting...
    Travis

Various Neutral Tinted/Hi CRI Goodness.

Damn camels. Mine is still in the desert somewhere.

^^^ Hahaha.

Well I don't want to make this a TinyDC vs Tri EDC showdown, because they are different lights by different makers. But, by Oklumen's admission, it was designed to be similar, and it shares most of the same guts, so the reality is that people will compare them directly. So I will just post a few pics for your visual pleasure, and you can draw your own conclusions, haha. If you have questions, I can help to answer from a customer point of view. Of course, Jeff is super duper helpful and will be very quick to respond to any questions you have for him as well as the maker.

In the first couple of hours of ownership, I would say I am very impressed. This light is very nicely machined and finished, and assembled with care. This one is of course, aluminum, with mineral glass lens, Nichia 219 triple, 10507 optics drilled with trits, copper pill, and a McGizmo clip of my own that I installed, ordering the light only with holes. To be honest, the only other bare aluminum light I remember having was a Tri EDC Knurly, for short time. My experience with bare metal lights is mostly titanium. The body is clean, free of significant machining marks or aberrations, burrs on threads, or other imperfections. The threads are smooth, and the body and head mate up seamlessly. That was something I always loved about Mac's lights, and Jeff has taken it to heart. I can run my nail across the seam and it doesn't catch. Sweet. The knurling is crisp and clean and not too aggressive, which I like. The boot is held in by an o-ring, so it's easy to take apart. Countersunk tail makes for easy thumb access. Crenelations on the bezel edge are a nice touch, but are not so deep to be sharp. Good idea! Copper pill adds some heft, so it feels good in the hand, and seems to move heat very well. No battery rattle at all. Yay! Tailstands rock solid like a McGizmo. Modes are nicely spaced; we'll see if I have them adjusted after some use. I'm glad they are more moderate than the original 3 modes; much more practical for battery life and heat. It's still very bright on high anyways!

Ok, less talk, more pictures!! This is the TinyDC alongside my titanium Tri EDC. Note: These are just iPhone 6 pics, so don't expect DSLR quality. Hah. Note Note: I don't do shelf queens so the Mac is scuffed up, and this one is bound to get that way.

NBP-

Thanks for the quick review and pictures!
    Looks like a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH FAN View Post
    NBP-

Thanks for the quick review and pictures!
    I second this. Also, thanks for taking a risk on a new builder like myself. I'm glad you like it!

Great overview! Thanks for the info.
    i welcome the dark

Quote Originally Posted by oklumen View Post
    I second this. Also, thanks for taking a risk on a new builder like myself. I'm glad you like it!
    You struck me as a good guy who puts his heart into his work. It didn't seem like too much of a risk.

Ordering from Mac.... Now THAT'S a risk! Guys have been waiting like 100x as long for light from him as I waited for this light. Haha.

nbp, thanks for the excellent impressions and comparison. The Okluma looks to be a worthy companion to your Mac's, and that a really saying something! This is one to look forward to.
    Thanks, CPF!

Sweet review, I'm excited to try one of these out. Jeff they are looking good man! Thanks nbp

Thanks for the pics nbp! The McGizmo Clip looks great! Really looking forward for the Ti ones.

Silly question, but are there any reflectors that fit in this light ?

Quote Originally Posted by jso902 View Post
    Silly question, but are there any reflectors that fit in this light ?
    I don't know of any, but i haven't looked either. The carclo 10507 is ~.240". If you trimmed the contact springs some, you could probably get some additional room.

If you find one you like around that size, let me know.

The tritium vial installation in the Carclo looks fantastic.
    It is not easy at all, which I know from first hand experience. One of the challenges is that optic is so damn clear it slightly refracts where the legs start on the underside. Such little clearance involved here, which is telling of OKL's skill
    Have torch, will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by DrafterDan View Post
    The tritium vial installation in the Carclo looks fantastic.
    It is not easy at all, which I know from first hand experience. One of the challenges is that optic is so damn clear it slightly refracts where the legs start on the underside. Such little clearance involved here, which is telling of OKL's skill
    Thanks!

I made this little jig to hold the optics. I probably spent a little too long on this, thinking I could just go to X,Y out to a .0005". Sometimes it's like that, most of the time it's not.

Great review @nbp and very nice light Jeff... Cannot wait to see more options on metals and the development of possibly a full knurly light... We have a winner right here
    My Lights

Now also on Instagram: lefteye219

I'd love to grab a Ti version at some point too.

Looking great and excellent review too! Now I want one

Flashaholic*

Thanks!

I made this little jig to hold the optics. I probably spent a little too long on this, thinking I could just go to X,Y out to a .0005". Sometimes it's like that, most of the time it's not.

I don't have any practical experience with machining but couldn't you machine a block of Al that has a "flashlight" head that has a threaded optic holder that would perfectly hold & center the optics so the drilling for the tritium vials would be consistent & easy?

I'm thinking along the lines of the threaded lens cover/holder like a incandescent maglite has.
    Travis

Various Neutral Tinted/Hi CRI Goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by FroggyTaco View Post
    I don't have any practical experience with machining but couldn't you machine a block of Al that has a "flashlight" head that has a threaded optic holder that would perfectly hold & center the optics so the drilling for the tritium vials would be consistent & easy?

I'm thinking along the lines of the threaded lens cover/holder like a incandescent maglite has.
    Yeah, that's a good idea. I need to try making a jig like that. That would probably work better than using the PCB mounts like I'm doing now.

Oh I forgot to mention also, Mac parts and Oklumen parts are compatible per my testing.

Stupid question, how would it look without the optic? Like a mule set-up.

Great looking light. Now I've got to start setting aside some funds to get one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by cowsmilk View Post
    Stupid question, how would it look without the optic? Like a mule set-up.

Great looking light. Now I've got to start setting aside some funds to get one of these.
    I'm not sure. I'll make a spacer tomorrow to hold the PCB in place with no optic and we'll see.

I'm not sure. I'll make a spacer tomorrow to hold the PCB in place with no optic and we'll see.
    Cool! Thanks for that. If it doesn't work out that's not a deal breaker. From the look of your beam shots it looks like it has a good amount of flood.

Yep, a big fuzzy dot. You can also get a frosted optic if you want to make it even floodier.

Try a 10509. Very wide flood.

The frosted optics are quite floody indeed. The frosted narrow I got from shineonyoucrazydiamond for my triple has all the flood I could ever imagine. A frosted medium would certainly be a flood monster!

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    Try a 10509. Very wide flood.
    I've got a couple of the 10509s here.

10508 is frosted medium. 10509 is frosted wide. I've tried 508 but not 509.

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    10508 is frosted medium. 10509 is frosted wide. I've tried 508 but not 509.
    When I ordered yours, I also got a couple of every kind they made.

Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast