• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Okluma TinyDC

okluma

Enlightened
Hey everyone,

This is my first light to post up for sale on CPF, so I'll introduce myself. I'm a self-employed machinist and my work reflects that. During the day mostly I make motorcycle and oil-field parts, my specialty are the smaller and one off jobs. About 10 months ago I saw one of Mac's Tri-EDC lights and I fell in love (more on that later). Shortly after that, I ordered some parts, did a lot of reading, and started making various kinds of lights for my personal use around the shop. A few friends asked about buying them, and well here I am.

Clearly this light looks a lot like the Tri-EDC. Like many of you, I just really wanted one. I religiously watched the WTS threads waiting for one to show up. After it became apparent that that wasn't going to happen any time soon, I sent Chris a couple emails. I thought that maybe in exchange for his plans, I could work on his backlog. He'd pay for material, I'd donate my labor, we'd all get Tri-EDCs and everyone would be happy. Like many of you, I never got a response. That's when I started designing this light. Visually I wanted them to be very similar, but absolutely no confusion between who's light is who's. For the most part all the components are compatible with the exception of the tailcap. My light has the tailcap boot retained by an oring, and does not use a threaded retaining ring.

I take a lot of pride in my work and reputation, so if you buy one and you're not happy just send it back. If it breaks or stops working for any reason at any time, just send it back and I will fix it for free. I absolutely will not take anyone's money unless all the parts are made and I can ship a light within a few days. When I no longer have any lights available I will update the thread accordingly.

The first 3 of these I sell on CPF will come with green tritium vials installed in the Carclo optic for free.

To be notified about availability, you're welcome to join my mailing list. It's only for announcements about availability or upcoming work, and I promise it will be very low-traffic. I will still update this thread, but the email will go out first. Here is the mailchimp link: http://eepurl.com/bu0JAT

Price: 250.00 plus 10.00 for shipping
Available: No. :(
Includes free trits: No (0 remaining)
Paypal: jasapp [at] gmail [dot] com

7075 Aircraft grade Aluminum
XP-G2 R5, S3 or Nichia 219 (your choice, no extra cost)
Carclo 10507 default, (10508, 10509,10510,10511 also available, no extra cost)
Modes: ML / L / M / H (with on-time memory)
Approximate Mode Currents: 2mA / 30mA / 180mA / 1300mA
Driver also provides constant current control, low voltage warning, and reverse polarity protection
McClicky Switch
Acrylite Lens FF P-99 or mineral glass (your choice)
Uses a 18350 IMR cell (not included)

Titanium Pocket Clip (+25)
Sapphire Lens (+35)
Copper Pill (+25)

If you want custom programming on the driver, that is *free*. If you'd like to change it again in the future, it's only the cost of shipping. If you want to send it in every other week to try something new out, that's fine. If you're not the original owner, it's still just the cost of shipping. If it's been awhile, I'll replace the orings and gasket at no extra cost either. Right now, I can not measure lumens only current. Hopefully I'll be able to measure lumens soon...

Now, onto the pictures.

19417851324_869a15b864_z.jpg

20040508065_120f4353b7_z.jpg

19445387403_2cf310b0b9_z.jpg

19503587264_b13a291d28_z.jpg

A different light with the clip installed:

19869260518_e00bc1f015_z.jpg

A trit shot for the first few.

19442392694_653211f7ef_z.jpg

An obligatory picture of the shop with Joey the dog and I. All the motorcycles were rolled out to get a good shot. :D

20054981952_16880785f4_z.jpg

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice light! What I want more than that is the machinery in the shop. :)

gunga

Flashaholic
Also. Can I choose the optic? I have some programmable 17mm circuits I want to use. I assume I can mod it? What is the pill made of? Id be happy to purchase one and review it. I sold all mine but have lots of Comparable I used to own (mac tri Edc, McGizmo haiku, sinner ti tri Edc etc).

okluma

Enlightened
Nice light! What I want more than that is the machinery in the shop. :)

I'm pretty happy with it. :)

Can we get a better look at the ti clip? Can these lights be made in ti? Any issues shipping to Canada?

Sure. I cut them out on a waterjet, tumble them in ceramic media and then hit them with scotchbrite. The hole pattern is the same as Mac's and McGizmo's, so their clips will work on my light. If you want the threaded holes but no clip, that's free just ask. They're 4-40, and I can toss in some stainless torx screws that fit if you like.

I've made a couple in Ti, but I'm still working on the fit and finish. I think I'll offer them for sale, but I'm not 100% for sure. If I do, it'll be at least a couple months.

No issues shipping to Canada.

20057540202_be427e3d16_z.jpg

okluma

Enlightened
Also. Can I choose the optic? I have some programmable 17mm circuits I want to use. Id be happy to purchase one and review it. I sold all mine but have lots of Comparable I used to own (mac tri Edc, McGizmo haiku, sinner ti tri Edc etc).

You're welcome to choose the optic. I only have the 10507 in stock, but I can certainly order the other ones. Or we can do whatever you want really.

I assume I can mod it?

Yes please. I'll help in anyway I can too. Drawings, specs, trying different ideas, you name it. I'm totally a hacker at heart.

What is the pill made of?

Right now the pills are done in 7075 as well. I have some copper and I'd be willing to offer a Cu pill upgrade for $25 if there is interest.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I would take one with all options if I could get it with 4000k xpg2's

nbp

Flashaholic
Looks great! You definitely have my interest.

Can you tell us the mode sequence and outputs? Would you be able to take some beamshots with the Nichia 219?

okluma

Enlightened
I would take one with all options if I could get it with 4000k xpg2's

I sent you a pm, I think we can work something out.

Thanks, I've put a lot of work into these.

Can you tell us the mode sequence and outputs? Would you be able to take some beamshots with the Nichia 219?

<edited>
The mode sequence is ML-L-M-H. I don't have any way to measure the outputs, so I can't tell you that exactly.
</edited>
I've never taken beamshots before, but I certainly can as soon as it gets dark.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I sent you a pm, I think we can work something out.

Thanks, I've put a lot of work into these.

The mode sequence is L-M-H. I don't have any way to measure the outputs, so I can't tell you that exactly.

I've never taken beamshots before, but I certainly can as soon as it gets dark.

If you can post the current draws, some of these smart fellers can figure out some rough emitter lumen outputs.

Beamshots would be great, thanks!

okluma

Enlightened
If you can post the current draws, some of these smart fellers can figure out some rough emitter lumen outputs.

I'll see what I can do with the current draws. I think I should be able to figure that out. Beamshots will be up later this evening.

Could we get a picture of the button/switch end of the light?

I'll add some more professional photos of this tomorrow, but here is a decent one.
20075554651_dd733a48f2_z.jpg

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is looking good, if you could do other materials like titanium/brass/copper you're definitely on to a winner here

archimedes

Flashaholic

Is it this driver, with modes of ...

Group of modes:
1st* Star* : 2% - 25% - 100% (Default)
2nd Star : 5% - 30% - 100% - Strobe - Beacon
3rd* Star : 15% - 100%
4th Star : *5mA - 2% - 25% - 100%

... 100% = 3040 mA, memory and constant current control, low voltage and reverse polarity protection ?

Last edited:

okluma

Enlightened
Is it this driver, with modes of ...Group of modes:1st* Star* : 2% - 25% - 100% (Default)2nd Star : 5% - 30% - 100% - Strobe - Beacon3rd* Star : 15% - 100%4th Star : *5mA - 2% - 25% - 100%... 100% = 3040 mA, memory and constant current control, low voltage and reverse polarity protection ?
Yes, that's correct. It's left in the default mode.
Looks great ... I would predict lots of interest in titanium, if that is under consideration ... :)
I've made two out of titanium. They take more than twice as long to make, and it's really hard on my tooling. I may offer them for sale, but I'm not 100% for sure yet. I need to sell a few aluminum lights first, mostly so I can buy a big, carbide drill with through coolant. :DAnd I've done my best with the beam shots. Photography isn't my strong suit. Nichia 219, white balance set to daylight, 60 second exposure (maybe this was too long?). Moonlight, low, medium and high modes respectively.

19987208738_d97451c15b.jpg

19988632409_7705d7bea9.jpg

20175264355_2f4097c864.jpg

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Just very rough emitter lumen numbers, for XP-G2 (typical bins), at 1 Amp each (x3) ... maybe 750-900 ? Accounting for reductions to get to OTF lumens, maybe 500-600 lm ?