CMG Infinity's

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: CMG Infinity\'s

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
Just got a note from a LED fan that CMG is selling off their "seconds", check it out at
http://www.cmgequipment.com/newsprod.html
[/URL]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Farther down the page, you'll also see blurbs about the Bonfire tent light.
What they fail to mention is what happens to those things if you knock one off a table or off the hook you hung it from, or what happens if it falls in the toilet or into a pond. :-O
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/bonfire.htm

I have heard reports that the Bonfire is being improved yet again to address these very issues. So I guess the Bonfire shouldn't be bashed too badly. It really does work well if you take care of it.

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

------------------

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Back to the Infinity Task Lights.

I just ordered 4 white ones for my flashlight geek friends. The green ones are gone, but they do have red and yellow. Also, the "2 for $20" deal is now an "any X > 0, at $10 each" offer, with a flat $5 shipping fee.

There's no original packaging, but they do include a paper with all the warranty info. Also, no batteries are included. I expect to begin playing... er, conducting research (!) with mine by Tuesday.

:)

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry I didn't put this in the last post... I was at home, and it was at work.
blush.gif

The toll-free ordering number is 888-246-4453, and Brent is who answered when I called. The vendor is Uncle Dan's, out of Chicago.

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!

Just an f.y.i.
Great Price on Infinity at: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/outbackgearoutlet/index.html

I just ordered 4 for stocking stuffers, etc for $13.35/ea. + s+h. The weird thing is if you go to this merchant's site directly, bypassing the yahoo store, the price isn't the same.(or as great). They have all colors currently offered by CMG. I called the merchant directly not to place an order, but to find out if these are the newer "repotted" design. Indeed they are, so my wallet grows thinner through the holidaze.

Regards,
Ed

Brock

Flashaholic

Now Botach is selling them for 10.95 at
http://www.botachtactical.com/cmgintaslig.html

They mention anodized aluminum, I heard that CMG was going to start doing that instead of just painting them like they had been. I think painting them was a mistake, but a cosmetic one. So I wonder how these will hold up. Telephony have you heard about this yet?

Brock

Spidey82

Enlightened

the energizer e² battries isn't lithium rite??(says in the previous link down the pg)
the lithium AAs cost much more than that.
it is suppose to have less internal resistance so that it can have higher discharge rate.

Brock

Flashaholic

Yes the link on the Botach page is to the lithium AA's. Also know as "L91" they are selling 4 lithiums for $8.50, pretty good price on lithiums.

Brock

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just received my 4 Infinity Task Lights from Uncle Dan's in Chicago. These are the factory seconds referred to at the beginning of this thread.

The blemishes on my four are all cosmetic; all deal with the black coating on the aluminum. All four are current-generation lights, with the knurling on both the cylinder and the LED assembly/switch, and with the battery that goes in negative terminal first. The directions that come with it, though, refer both in words and diagrams to the first-generation models. No lanyards were included, nor was there any retail packaging.

On two of the lights, I had an excess of lubricant; so much so, that it covered the bottom of the circuit board. A swipe with a napkin fixed that right up.

Can't wait till it gets dark tonight... now I just have to figure out how to explain to my wife that I bought FOUR of these things, not the ONE I told her I was getting.
shocked.gif
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:

They mention anodized aluminum, I heard that CMG was going to start doing that instead of just painting them like they had been. Telephony have you heard about this yet?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard about this only to the point just beyond what one would call a rumour. Nothing more. That is to say, I haven't heard this from the horse's mouth, but it did come from the stable.
smile.gif

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast

Had a problem with one of the four factory seconds I ordered. Originally, it functioned somewhat like a Mini-Mag, in that completely tightening the head shut off the light, while a slight loosening of the head turned it on. About two days later, it ceased to function. I tried replacing the battery, removing and replacing the light head, and swapping the light head with a different barrel/battery combination. No luck.

Before I contact Uncle Dan's for replacement instructions, does anyone here have any ideas on how to make this one work again?

DaveH

Enlightened

My guess the the contact plate under the head has warped a bit.

I noticed that I can overtighten a smidgen and it will go back off, so I try to tighten only enough to get steady on.

That doesn't help much.

DaveH

mcjamison

Newly Enlightened

Last Friday, I finally got around to following up on Edwood's link, above, and ordered a white and a blue-green (I've assumed this is turquise) Infinity from:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/outbackgearoutlet/index.html

The price is still $13.35. The order arrived today (Thursday), and contained the correct items. I thought the group might like confirmation of a positive experience from this dealer.

But dammit, I don't have any AA's here at work!
frown.gif

Intriguingly, in the "Try some of our other products" section of the little instruction manual for the Infinity, there are pictures of two known products (Phoenix motion sensing lantern, bonfire tent light), and underneath, the cryptic sentence, "Check out the new O4 Mini Task Light from CMG Equipment". Anyone know any more about this, or care to speculate?

From the "Mini", I would guess that they're working on a AAA version of the Infinity.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mcjamison:
and underneath, the cryptic sentence, "Check out the new O4 Mini Task Light from CMG Equipment". Anyone know any more about this, or care to speculate?
B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm an Infinity dealer, and even I don't know about this one.
Time to fire off a message to my inside man at CMG.
smile.gif

------------------

Brock

Flashaholic

Funny, when the infinity came out I sent CMG list of demands
smile.gif
Really I just asked them to make a single AAA light and up the voltage to the LED so it can compete with the Photon, and iodize the thing black instead of just paint.

They told me they didn't want to get in to the AAA size because it would only run about 10 hours, and they didn't want to up the voltage to the LED because they didn't want to overdrive it like the photons were. They did say they were going to make them black a different way than painting soon.

They also said that if they got enough interest they might consider the single AAA light. Or maybe this is the "upgraded" version of the good old infinity.

If anyone can get to the bottom of this it's Craig
wink.gif

Brock

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened

Well- the problems with the infinity are - it's too dim compared with other "overdriven" lights - the paint flakes off after a while, and the AA cell makes it too large to hang on a keychain. 10 hours is still 5x the lifetime of a solitare - so it's a significant step up (no pun intended).

I'd almost consider machining a new body for the existing head to put an N cell behind it instead of the AA - then it would be keychain-able. Only problem is i'd start integrating a tailcap switch and before long it would have a $100 machined part on a $15 flashlight - whoops.

Doug

Enlightened

Then it would be one of those little baton lights, eh
smile.gif
?

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hmmwv:
Well- the problems with the infinity are - it's too dim compared with other "overdriven" lights - the paint flakes off after a while, and the AA cell makes it too large to hang on a keychain. 10 hours is still 5x the lifetime of a solitare - so it's a significant step up (no pun intended).

I'd almost consider machining a new body for the existing head to put an N cell behind it instead of the AA - then it would be keychain-able. Only problem is i'd start integrating a tailcap switch and before long it would have a $100 machined part on a $15 flashlight - whoops.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>