Feeler on Mod Service [Cancelled]

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I have an Original McLux TK and I was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the LED to a good quality Luxeon III [and possibly a new driver circuit to support it]. Perhaps something like a TWAK/BB750.

Is this sacrilege? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If not, can it even be done? Anyone interested in taking this on? I would like the Mod to be made to the existing TK head. I do not have a LED or driver circuit, so I would be willing to pay for both parts and labor.

I'm open to suggestions and offers.

Edit: Cancelled - Total eclipse of the brain.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Feeler on Mod Service

It would definitley be Sacrilege. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif
Why not leaving this little gem alone and go buying new parts and let someone make a new light? Wouldn't be much more expensive and wouldn't destroy a historic monument.
bernhard

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
It would definitley be Sacrilege. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif
Why not leaving this little gem alone and go buying new parts and let someone make a new light? Wouldn't be much more expensive and wouldn't destroy a historic monument.
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may be right ... it's not like I EDC it anyway.

I was having second thoughts when I was composing the post and almost cancelled out of it.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

one saved, a hundred more to go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif
bernhard

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd leave it alone too. For what ever you're gonna pay, you could pay a bit more and have two lights in the end.

Darell

Flashaholic

You'd have to REALLY want to do this. The driver is epoxied into place, of course. Not impossible, but it would be a major PITA. I have managed to scrape off the emitters without much trouble though (well, not in a TK, which I've never owned, but in the ones I built - and I just remembered that Leo potted the emitters in the TKs). An R2H or TWAK will give you noticeably more light without swapping the driver.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why not just have someone build a replacement head with the stuff you want. Then you can swap heads for runtime/orignality and then your "turbo" head...

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

An original TK? Don't do it. TK also means To Keep as is. In most cases you wouldn't take something that's collectors item and modify it to make it a bit better. That would deface the value of being an original. I would keep it at that. Jusy mt opinion though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
darkzero said:
An original TK? Don't do it. TK also means To Keep as is. In most cases you wouldn't take something that's collectors item and modify it to make it a bit better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with what everyone is saying, it would be like painting over the Mona Lisa. I have many other lights that meet my brightness requirements.

Consider this request a brain fart.