Olight M2X-UT mods/

Rover1225

Newly Enlightened
i just bought an Olight, E series, and while it IS impressive.....I am not happy (enough) :faint:.....so what can I do to make this thing blaze even more? Aspheric lens? upgrade the emitter? Newbiw here, so be careful...I dont want to burn the house down with the soldering iron or anything like that :D

didi_1606

Newly Enlightened
What do you mean by m2x and e series? 2 different lights? I'm also a newbie but i think for m2x it's quite impressive thrower for it's size...

akhyar

Enlightened
Your title and the follow up contents in your post make no sense to me.
Do you want to mod your E series to have the throw like the M2X-UT?

snurblet

Newly Enlightened
He means the letter prefix in the serial number. The "E" lights came first and had the original de-domed emitter. Later models use a domed emitter that Olight started calling "customized". The change in serial number prefix isn't necessarily a definite cut-off point between the older and newer LEDs, but that's about when the change was noticed.

My M2X-UT is an "F" version with the domed emitter. It throws just fine for me. :)

akhyar

Enlightened
Ah! Now I get it.
I have the M2X-UT awaiting for me at my other home fresh from delivery, but no idea yet if it's the older E or the newer F version

swan

Banned
The Olight m2x ut XPL version i have serial number starts with E12 , all of the e11,s i have seen are xml2s and the f03 are xpl. The easiest mod to get it cranking is to use 2x 18350 imr cells- my measurements,

Panasonic protected 1 x ncr18650b- 1450 lux
Awt imr 1 x 18650- 1590 lux
Efest imr 2 x 18350,s- 1790 lux

Sure you wont get the runtime of the single 18650, but you can always access full lux till they are down to 3.5v. The single 18650 can only sustain max lux for one turbo run. If you look at olights specs it states all measurements taken using using 2 x cr123 cells, so if your running a protected icr cell and would like to increase output and throw by more than 20% go the 2 x 18350s.
I also have an extender, which also will increase output but i like the light small.

joebob4501

Newly Enlightened
You could swap the emitter for a dedomed XP-G2. It would decrease the overall output but it would have a tighter hotspot and throw further.

Rover1225

Newly Enlightened
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/21240

This is a comparison of the xp-g2 and the xp-e2, both dedmoed....seems there is a slight increase, how would a doublet aspherice (to minimize light loss, but increase cost) affect this I wonder? Where can one source a doublet aspheric lens set up?